Rheem Water Softener

How do I update the changes? Do we need to do a fresh install?

Edit: Figured this out, just need to re-download in HACS.

Amazing, can’t wait to try it.

Hi Jay, should waterShutoffValve now appear as a new entity? I’m not seeing it.

Did you find any safe value? I set it for 30 minutes and was cutoff in the morning. It worked for 12hours.

I am from PL and running Aqua Home Duo which was blocked after 12hrs with timedelta=30m.

I’ve just left it at 15min, they seem to cut it off for 12 hours every few days, but just been living with it until anyone figures out an alternate solution.

Now that seems to be more stable (I am at 15 mins too for polling, and it mostly stays running), any chance we can get the water shut off valve integrated? It would be great if we could? I think someone wrote the code a while back, now it needs to be added into the integration.

The patch I merged in was just the api code needed to call and display the shut off valve. There isn’t code yet to implement a switch for in in HA. I can see if I can find time to make a pull request for that. But if you are technical enough you could create a manual switch and call the API directly.

Looks like I’ve been rate limited again. This has got to be seriously the worst smart system I’ve ever used. Seriously, why even have a smart soft water system if you cant poll the data. If I just leave the android app open for more than an hour I’ll get blocked.

But if you are technical enough you could create a manual switch and call the API directly.

I’m unfortunately not technical enough to figure that out. No worries if you don’t have time, hopefully someone else could jump in.

It’s been running stable for me for a while now. I’m set to every five mins.

API connection has been going on and off.

Just installed Home Assistant 2023.5.0 update which broke a couple of integrations.
Is this integration broken for anybody else after the update?

I’m dead in the water too. (no pun intended)

I made a commit to correct this error. Can you check if it works now?

The entities seem to have restored, but I’m still offline on data.
Gonna wait a bit to see if it’s Rheem taken me offline.
We’re back in business :slight_smile: Thank you.

My shut-off valve is on order, after getting a small leak in piping while I was away. Luckily not too far away.

Has anybody tried controlling the valve using DIY methods independent of the softener?
Anybody knows if it’s a smart valve requiring a to open/close or a simple one - e.g. one wire controls a close, another - open?

Needless to say that it would not be nice it I need to shut the valve off remotely and the iQua app is offline :frowning:

@arturzx Nice work you did on trying to get it working completely locally, but as I understand that is still quite a challenge. I haven’t bought this water softener yet but I’m thinking of doing so, although I don’t want to depend on a cloud service for it. Have you already looked into using IOXY to proxy the MQTT data to a local broker? Would that technically be possible to do?

Yes, this should be possible but with lot of effort and work. In this post:

you can see structures of published data. I suppose that behind local broker should live application that emulates AWS IoT core protocol. IoT core using MQTT but it is higher level request-reply protocol layed on MQTT protocol. Thanks for info about IOXY, I’ve made setup but didn’t manage softener connect to proxy and I don’t have more time for it, maybe in next week :frowning:

Started to reverse engineering the softener and the valve on the hardware level to have local control.
Also i might just stop at figuring out the valve so that I can use just any valve instead of the OEM one. I’d prefer to have one that turns the knob of my manual valve tbo. Something like this…

More progress after my vacation. But for now…

The valve has 6 wires:
Blue, brown, yellow - some kind of serial comm to the PIC16F1823 microcontroller inside. Upon boot it tells the softener that there’s a valve connected. This is also how it reports faults and valve position.

Green, pink, black is how the valve gets opened and closed.
Open:

• green: +24VDC
  • black: common
    Close:
  • pink: +24VDC
  • green: common

The valve says 4W - good to know for the power supply.

It also says Time - 5s. :thinking:. I wonder if I can apply 24V and drop it after 5s until I figure out the comms. It doesn’t have a hard stop. So if I don’t drop the power to it, it will keep spinning open-close-open-close…

@alexbeatle I wonder if we can just bypass the control board and control it with a Shelly relay with the 24VDC and common from the connector.

Absolutely. There’re many ways of doing it, incl. using smart rays like Shelly.
The challenging part is the feedback.
I’d prefer to be at peace of mind knowing that I requested the valve to close remotely (or automation did due to leak detection) and I received a feedback that it’s actually got closed.

The Shelly has a IO input that can be used for status. I use this on my garage door motor carriage with a reed switch. I think I can affix the same reed switch to that blue gear/dial to get the status of the valve. If I remember correctly, the dial moves according to the status of the valve. How nice and neat I can put this together with the Shelly for an outdoor install, that’ll be the next challenge.

1 Like