Ring Doorbell

Hello @Qua3952
That is just the opensource libraries they use. Thanks for the heads up!

What exactly is everyone trying to accomplish with adding the Ring component? I would love to view the Ring camera as a live feed in HASS.io, however all I get is a very choppy video of the last recording.

I have a few automations set up:

1. save a local copy of the last recording and accompanying screen snapshot.
  2. turn on front door light when motion detected
  3. pause tv if doorbell rings

Any way to add Ring Alarm?

Also, to answer your question…

I use the ring sensor as well. If the doorbell detects motion, HA looks to what tvs are on in my house and if the tv is on it casts a live camera view of my front, its not the ring camera but another camera I have setup I access rtsp. the automation uses the cast compenent to my shields (one on each tv)

Yeah, I had mine working perfectly for about 2 days, then it just stopped. I was tired of messing with the binary sensor and was trying the sensor: last_motion.

Edit: I did a full reinstall (was hoping not to) and the binary_sensors are working again.

And they’ve stopped working, again.

Looking for any advice on this (and if I should be putting this question somewhere else, please let me know and I’ll gladly move it).

I have 5 ring products (doorbell and 5 cameras). Last evening, after I reinstalled Hassio everything was working fine. During the night, beginning about midnight, my garage camera was going off like mad (every couple of minutes) due to a spider building a web directly in front of it (has happened before with other cameras). The binary sensor worked for about an hour after that, then stopped getting notifications. This morning I checked and none of the binary sensors are working again. I can probably provide logs this evening, just not sure what time frame would be helpful. Any assistance is much appreciated.

Hey guys, hope it is okay to post this here, I created a thread on the weekend and didn’t get any responses. I’m getting some errors in my HA log with my ring doorbell and FFmpeg. It seems to be and off and on (mainly on) problem, will correct itself and then goes down again. Thanks in advance!

• Error handling request

2:34 PM components/camera/mjpeg.py (ERROR)

• Update of camera.doorbell is taking over 10 seconds

2:27 PM core.py (WARNING)

• Error starting FFmpeg.

2:16 PM core.py (WARNING)

• FFmpeg fails all args must be str or bytes

2:16 PM /usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/haffmpeg/core.py (ERROR)

@Jer78 @firstof9

I’m using the last Ring template with my Ring and also adapted to multiple other sensors. I have a problem where the following day it still states “Today” at a time which hasn’t arrived yet.

e.g. Last ring was 11am on the 26th - At 8am on the 27th it still states “Today at 11am”. My config is below am I doing something wrong?

- platform: template
  sensors:
last_ring:
  entity_id:
    - sensor.ring_front_door_last_ding
  value_template: >-
    {% set today = now().day | int %}
    {% set ring_date = (((as_timestamp(state_attr('sensor.ring_front_door_last_ding','created_at'))) | timestamp_custom("%d")) | int) %}
    {% if today == ring_date %}
      {% set day = "Today" %}
    {% elif (today - 1) == ring_date %}
      {% set day = "Yesterday" %}
    {% elif today == 1 and ring_date > 27 %}
      {% set day = "Yesterday" %}
    {% else %}
      {% set day = as_timestamp(state_attr('sensor.ring_front_door_last_ding','created_at')) | timestamp_custom("%A")%}
    {% endif %}
    {% set time = as_timestamp(state_attr('sensor.ring_front_door_last_ding','created_at')) | timestamp_custom("%l:%M %p")%}
    {{[day,time]|join(" at ")}}

I cannot duplicate your error mine shows correctly with the template.

Thanks for the reply.

Mine shows correctly but for an unknown period it will still show “Today” when it actually should be “Yesterday”. I think my problem might be once the sensor registers as “Today” its not then re-updating itself. Ive had similar problems before when the entity_id is not defined but here it is.

I’d cross check with the date on the system sounds like the RTC might be getting updated or changed.

@J_IO_B just add a entity_id and use the date time component as the sensor so it updates every minute or so. Alternatively you can create a template sensor that gets the value of the day and it will update every new day

Apreciate the reply @Jer78,

When you say add a entity_id do you mean just add my “sensor.date__time” tot he entity list with “sensor.ring_front_door_last_ding” or am I over simplifying it?

Likewise if I defined a template sensor for todays date would i define add it to the same place? I’m guessing I need to change the "set today) but unsure how.

@J_IO_B you got it.

1 Like

hey looking at doing something similar. i take it from your post one cant cast camera.camera but has to cast a stream?
would you mind sharing an example? i’m not able to get mine working using RTSP and the docs are limited on this :frowning:

Can you share how you do this?
I have Shields on each TV as well and would like to show the stream when a doorbell event occurs.

Is there any way to activate/deactivate Ring Doorbell “motion alerts” feature through HASS? I can’t seem to find any mention of it anywhere, so I guess it is not supported?

1 Like

I’ve been wondering the same thing… If possible, I believe it would apply only to the hass client. Each mobile device’s Ring app’s motion alert setting is mutually exclusive to that client.

Okay - pardon my lack of knowledge here. I just got my Raspi setup with HomeAssistant today, as well as my Konnected hardware. I have a Ring and would love to incorporate it into my configuration, and it looks like tchellomello has done alot of wonderful work to get this integrated.

1. Does this work with HomeAssistant on a Raspi? (I see alot of python comments - perhaps HA is running Python on the Raspi?)
  2. What’s the latest version of the project? (link)
  3. How do I install / set up? I saw one post mentioning going to /home/homeassistant - but here is no HA folder under /home on my installation (logged in via SSH).

Again - my apologies. I’ve done a lot of programming / development over the years but this is a new platform for me. Thanks in advance!