Ring Doorbell

You’ll need to configure the component here’s the docs:

1 Like

I’m trying to get the last motion and last ding on the frontend UI of Lovelace just like the demo:

Can someone share there configuration?
The sensors named:
binary_sensor.ring_voordeur_motion
binary_sensor.ring_voordeur_ding

Thanks

You are looking for _last_ding and _last_motion example: sensor.name_last_ding

Hello. I ran across this thread and there were a few mentions of slow video playback with no mention of solutions. I only use Ring to view recorded video along with the rest of my live cameras. However, when I play back the video it plays at 1/4 to 1/2 speed. I am running this on a rRaspberry Pi 3 B+ using hass.io 0.87.

Correct the Pi doesn’t have enough horsepower to transcode the video for you at 30fps. (from what I’ve gathered)

Hi guys,

i am running hassio version 0.87.1.
Since couple of days i am gettint the following error messages for the binary sensors for ring doorbells.
Specially [binary_sensor.ring_xx_motion] is not updating anymore
(I have some automations behind this binary sensor - turn light on when somebody is front of the door)

Log:

2019-03-22 08:34:44 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.binary_sensor] Updating ring binary_sensor took longer than the scheduled update interval 0:00:10
2019-03-22 08:34:55 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.binary_sensor] Updating ring binary_sensor took longer than the scheduled update interval 0:00:10

• home-assistant.log 71867/71909 99%

Does anyone have the same problem and found a solution?

Thanks in advance.

Updating ring binary_sensor took longer than the scheduled update interval 0:00:10

08:28 helpers/entity_platform.py (WARNING)

Configuration:

binary_sensor:

• platform: ring
    monitored_conditions:
    • ding
    • motion

Same problem. No solution. I get hundreds of those errors a day.

The camera component seems to take up the whole CPU of my raspberry pi. When I added the camera in a picture-glance card, the whole Hassio crashed. As @mostlychris mentioned it seems that a Raspberry pi does not have enough horsepower to process with ffmpeg.

Anyone knows if someone is on the camera-previews feature of Ring? In my case I find it enough to just display a still image, with an update of x times per minute instead of a live stream.

Hello @Devqon, Ring Door Bell does not support live previews. Just use it as a regular stale image and that will avoid your CPU to go nuts.

It seems the Ring does support previews: https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000685566-Camera-Previews-Information
“Just use it as a regular stale image” How can I do that?

previews or live views (streming) are not available outside the official Ring Mobile Apps… You can’t even see live views from the ring website…

Hi @tchellomello, I noticed recently that there is now a way to live stream from the Ring Doorbell. This is implemented into the ring-client-api for the homebridge-plugin by Dusty Grief. I was wondering if this was something which may be added to your Ring component for HA?

Second this request! Didn’t even realize this was possible until you mentioned it. Just got it setup on HomeBridge with a separate RPi 3 I have and it works great. Would love to see this implemented in Home Assistant.

Yeah I didn’t realise either, I knew there’d been discussions previously about it in various threads including this one but then spotted that it was working in HomeBridge a couple of days ago…I agree it would be great to get it implemented into HA!

Actively looking for a solution here too. I can help writing a component too. @tchellomello happy to help to integrate the live stream as done in the homebridge plugin into the Ring component. Let me know!

I made a very quick and dirty solution for live streaming that basically wraps around the home-bridge solution that exists. Hopefully someone with more skills in Node can turn this into a proper Python solution. The PR is here if you want to try: #133.

Right now this has nothing to do with Home Assistant yet, that is my next step.

2 Likes

is it a h264 stream? you can try modifying ring to return it as a stream_source property if it works :slight_smile: Are you able to get a live snapshot? Thats what I have been trying to figure out.

It uses SIP - so not sure what it is. Anyway, the underlying python component should already allow you to make a snapshot. I will try to work it into a stream somehow.

its currently broken actually :frowning: waiting on a fix so we can update the integration and utilize the live snapshot. As of now its just a snapshot from the last recorded video.

What if we just use the stream once I have it working and take a still from that? That is a snapshot right?

1 Like