Ring Doorbell

Is that showing the state of motion or the state of the motion sensor being on or off? Maybe it’s the latter?

Guys, when we move the motion sensor to a binary_sensor it will report on/off status.

I’m working on this and I’ll post the code here for further tests. @syphernl with the newer version, are you getting separate values now for your both doorbell on last_activity sensor?

2 Likes

@tchellomello I only have one Ring, I assume you meant @kylerw :slight_smile:

It is showing the correct time, now!

1 Like

Awesome Thanks!!

Guys, regarding the motion detector the current implementation is not working very well because in order to get the notification, the GET request must happen at the same the motion.

Since this is all based on the reverse engineering, I’m studying a little more how to implement and the notifications PUSHED to HA.

Regarding changing the volume I already got it working on the external 3rd and now we need to port it to HA.

I’m currently working on this and I’ll keep you posted as soon I have a newer version.

Thanks everyone!
mmello

On a slightly different but related note, I just noticed tonight that I mysteriously gained two new binary sensors for my Ring Pro doorbell. They’re being created via my Wink platform. Is anyone else experiencing the same?

Ring is now supported as part of the Wink platform.

Those are the Wink sensors I spoke about earlier in the thread.

Whoops, I see your post now, sorry for the confusion everyone!

I still like this native Ring version though and it’s additional functionality, anxious to see this officially merged in at some point!

Yep, many of us in the same mode. @tchellomello is working on that now.

Hello guys,

Just to keep you posted that I’ve basically wrote again the 3rd library ring_doorbell that will introduce a lot of good stuff.

A few requests such as live streaming on demand, changing volume, enabling/disabling mechanical/digital door-bell and others are already implemented.

The next step now is to port it again to HA sensor and then we can test. But would be nice to see if the 3rd library will work for everyone on different environments.

I’ve created the PR https://github.com/tchellomello/python-ring-doorbell/pull/14 and I would appreciate if anyone can test it.

Thank you!
mmello

Hi mmello,

I would love to test your development with my personal ring set-up. However, I’m not even able to get the ring component up and running. I followed the steps you described and executed this in my virtual_env:

$ pip3 install ring_doorbell #python 3.x
$ pip3 install git+https://github.com/tchellomello/python-ring-doorbell@dev --upgrade

Everything went fine! I also created a custom_components/sensor folder in my .homeassistant configuration folder and copied the ring.py into it (with correct permissions I guess).

This is my configuration.yaml:

sensor:

• platform: ring
    username: xxx
    password: xxx
    monitored_conditions:
    • battery
    • last_activity
    • motion
    • volume

But this is what I get in my log file:

17-02-24 13:13:42 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.loader] Unable to find component sensor.ring
17-02-24 13:13:42 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.bootstrap] Unable to find platform sensor.ring

Any suggestions from anyone?
Thanks!

I don’t think it should be under sensor but rather a new platform.

see here: Ring Doorbell

# sensors
- platform: ring
  username: !secret ring_username
  password: !secret ring_password
  monitored_conditions:
    - battery
    - last_activity
    - motion
    - volume

he actually has #sensors commented out

Hi,

thanks for your help. But how would you add a platform without linking it to an entity?

BR

Your username and password should link you to the API.

The API link helps the component to then create the entities.

Kind of confused here on testing - I guess it’s because I’m testing a few different things for devs at the moment and my mind is a bit scattered.

In the last few rounds of testing, I was putting ring.py into my custom components folder. Are we now back to the original method, running independent of HA in python?

Could you link back to those instructions?

Idk what you mean with that. The username and password I use is the one I use when logging in into ring.com.

NOTE: Speaking in general terms here on how a component gets info to create entities. This may not apply in the current testing situation. I’m waiting on a reply to my post to find out if we are going back to the original method of testing outside of HA.

Right, that’s what allows the component to get access to the API. The program then queries the API and asks for a list of devices and populates HA with the correct entities. The argument of monitored conditions then assigns attributes to those entities.

ok, got that. the platform is defined under “sensor”, right?