Ring Doorbell

Depends on whether you’re testing the previous ring.py or the latest pull - which is what I am waiting on an answer for.

If you are testing the previous version, ring.py should go in your /HOMEASSISTANROOT/custom_components/sensor folder, then defined in sensor.

Guys, I’ve updated the sensor/ring.py code to use the new refactored library at https://raw.githubusercontent.com/tchellomello/home-assistant/ring/homeassistant/components/sensor/ring.py

Note that the motion option has been removed in pro the binary_sensor. I’ll still need to work on the binary_sensor to make it reliable as the regular sensor. Thus, the configuration should be as follows:

#sensors
- platform: ring
  username: !secret ring_username
  password: !secret ring_password
  monitored_conditions:
    - battery
    - last_activity
    - volume

Right now each 30 seconds, the data will be updated. Maybe we can bump it to 60.

The goods news is the 3rd library already support to change the volume or enable/disable the mechanic/digital doorbell but to make it available thru HA some frontend work will be necessary. I’ll give a shot, but I’m terrible with the frontend. Any help is more than welcome!! :slight_smile:

Regarding the binary_sensor for the ones using the Ring connected to the Wink, is the response live? I mean, if a motion is detected, does the sensor change state within a few seconds or does it take some time to update?

Please let me know if works fine and I’ll try to crack the motion alerts this weekend.

Thank you!!
mmello

1 Like

Thanks for the update, I’ve installed and am testing it now.

Regarding the Ring sensors created via Wink, the motion update is fairly quick. Not instantaneous but within approx. 15s I’d say. The binary sensor then stays on for approx. 15s before turning back off. I can get more accurate numbers for this if you want.

1 Like

I have ring connected to Smart things and the update/alert is near instant to the Ring app.

Running the new code now and testing with motion on. Given the issues I had with it picking up cars going by (even with the limit set to 5 feet and only the closest zone enabled) I should see some activity soon.

Other stuff seems to be working well - I had to press the doorbell to activate motion (PITA) and it did pick that up as well as the details in the last activity.

Just tested motion by opening the door and it was almost instantaneous in both the Ring App and the sensor.

1 Like

I have mine installed and testing.
Is there an issue with adding the sensors to groups that anyone is aware of? It may be a combination of things I have going on, but as soon as I added the Ring based entities to groups to be displayed on different tabs, HA won’t start. Also, I’m still on 37.1 as anything 38.0 or above and I get issues with my frontend. Nothing shows under Services or States under Developer Tools and no almost no info is displayed in the Info section (Version, config path, etc…)

Oh also had to pull my Ring for recharging today and battery levels are working appropriately as well; I know you were asking about that @tchellomello.

1 Like

@tkvtec it should work fine. Did you check your configuration with hass --script check_config ?

@tchellomello I’ll try un-commenting the changes out and check tonight.

1 Like

Hi Guys, just to let you know that I am getting a 404 on https://home-assistant.io/components/sensor.ring/

I am about to try do this setup. To anyone running on batteries with their Ring, I would highly recommend hacking together a power supply as my batteries started running out about once a week…

Anyway, will let you know how it goes, I am going to be installing in a Docker container on a Synology NAS and/or a RPI3…

It’s not released or even a pull request at this point so you wouldn’t find anything there.[quote=“uiguy, post:111, topic:7943”]
To anyone running on batteries with their Ring, I would highly recommend hacking together a power supply as my batteries started running out about once a week…
[/quote]
I ran for months at a time, but expect a little less with the motion turned on to test this out. But then again I guess I don’t get a lot of visitors… :frowning:

Took me a minute to figure out how to load custom components, however once i got it loaded and removed the ‘motion’ attribute, it pulled up the sensor for my front door as expected. i was trying to use IFTTT and it was just not as reliable. this is a great addition to HASS! I cant wait until the motion sensor element is working! great job!

1 Like

Hi,

Just to let you all know, I have it up and running fine on my Synology nas in docker.

Thanks for all the hard work!

1 Like

Hello everyone, I just submitted a PR https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/pull/6419 to get this first part officially supported in HA.

I’m still trying to understand what would be the best way to implement the motion notifications without flooding the API with GET requests.

Once this PR gets approved, I think the next steps would be to create a custom UI card to support changing chime volume level and the motion notifications.

Thank you everyone for the tests!! I hope you enjoy it!
mmello

2 Likes

I was trying to code a ring component too when i saw your work, so I can stop and work on something else :wink:

Please keep an I on the reddit topic it’s about our doorbells sending strange traffic to china…

2 Likes

Team, the PR was merged and we should have Ring sensor officially on 0.40 version.

@rdnzl you are more than welcome to help on the remaining pieces. Basically I’m working on a custom UI card and still studying the best way to get a binary_sensor for motion alerts. Just let me know then we can split our efforts.

Thanks everyone for all the tests and I’m happy to see the growth of HA.
mmello

1 Like

@tchellomello Are you only going to create a binary_sensor for motions or also for rings? Since I’d still like to have HASS act on it whenever someone rings my doorbell :slight_smile:

I believe I saw the Ring app on Windows 10 doing some kind of notification registration via the API.
I have to start Fiddler again to check this.

Hello @syphernl yes, I want to. I’m still trying to understand how the notifications work to implement it.

Like @rdnzl said, using a mitmproxy to sniff the communication from the Ring app installed on a Windows client, I saw the notification registration.

I’ve already started some work to get it supported as you can see https://github.com/tchellomello/python-ring-doorbell/commit/3fbc00e22f2203081bbc6361b1383f9ff614f0bf but still need to figure out a good way to get it working. I’m currently testing via IFTT especially for instances that are not public on the internet.

1 Like