Rinnai Heating/Cooling Wifi Module

Once you have the HVAC interfaces with HA, your wife won’t need to TOUCH the thing.
I’ve got mine running via the MQTT to a homebridge docker container running on my R-Pi4 HASS install.

Between that and Node-Red, I’ve got my HVAC:

• turning on when we come home
  • turning off when we go out
  • turning on at 6am when we’re home
  • turning off at midnight
  • switching to a/c if the temp goes above 25c
  • switching to heating if the temp goes below 20c
  • turning OFF zones we don’t use during the day
  • turning ON the master bedroom zone an hour before we go to bed
  • turning OFF the HVAC if any of our perimeter doors are open
  • turning ON the HVAC once all perimeter doors are closed, and we’re home AND it’s within operating hours!
  • And finally - we have a slider in HA to set the master temperature - but we’ve not changed it from 21c in the past 18 months…!

My wife LITERALLY does not need to touch the existing thermostat at all, nor does she change any settings in HA. It just…works…!

:slight_smile:

really well done. Kudos to you for setting up so thoroughly.
I recently purchased my wifi unit, and set it up with homebridge container, seems to work ok.
It is interesting that my wifi unit does NOT report current temp. Consequently it does not come through the hombebridge interface.
Has anyone else observed this? I wonder if I’m not doing something wrong… The physical thermostat (NC-3) report current and target temps just fine. Not being picked up by the wifi unit is odd to me.
Please shout out if you’ve observed this behaviour.

regards

Unfortunately this is normal for that type of thermostat…
I know - I have one! And it frustrated me too.

My solution was to get some multi-sensors to place in each zone used by the HVAC…
ie;
Zone A - Rear Bedrooms
Zone B - Master Bedroom
Zone C - Main Living Spaces

So each zone got it’s own multi-sensor (they do lux levels, UV, temp, humidity, motion, pressure…) and I use the temp from the multi-sensor to activate my temp controlled triggers.
I also use a custom thermostat template so I can push the multi-sensor temp into the display instead of ending up with a giant “0” sitting there!

Thank you rusti… very helpful.
What multi sensors do you use?
I have a Broadlink IR Remote with a sensor cable, together with a Shelly H&T. These give me temp and humidity. I keep one in my living room, and the other on the deck outside, so I can see both internal and expternal temps.

Trying to keep my house reasonably small in size, so as to reduce maintenance load, which leaves me more time to play with HA.

I’m using the Aeotec MultiSensor 6

They’re Z-Wave devices, so you need a dongle to talk to them, but they work either on battery or direct power and are quite handy!

I am planning to replace my old Brivis thermosat with a Nest. I have 2 zones with heating and cooling, so the 529 module is not an option. My plan is to connect the Nest to Home Assistant as a climate device, and syncronise it with the Brivis climate device as done here. The Nest won’t be plugged into anything except power, and will communicate through Home Assistant. I believe it will only control one zone.

Has anyone tried this?

@SJM This is very nice, would you mind sharing your configuration.yaml for your climate, please.
I have the 2 zones and I can’t get my head around how to configure that.
I was hoping the MQTT broker would auto-discover but it never did. It works fine in homebridge but I’m stuck trying to integrate this in HA. any help is appreciated. Thanks, @SJM @Mantorok

Below is the log from Homebridge for MQTT, the topics its publishing to.

[11/9/2021, 9:45:13 AM] [Rinnai Touch] MQTT: Broker connected [mqtt://192.168.1.16:1883]
[11/9/2021, 9:45:13 AM] [Rinnai Touch] MQTT: Subscribe: homeassistant/hvac/fan_mode/set
[11/9/2021, 9:45:13 AM] [Rinnai Touch] MQTT: Subscribe: homeassistant/hvac/mode/set
[11/9/2021, 9:45:13 AM] [Rinnai Touch] MQTT: Subscribe: homeassistant/hvac/temperature/set
[11/9/2021, 9:45:13 AM] [Rinnai Touch] MQTT: Subscribe: homeassistant/switch/zone/a/set
[11/9/2021, 9:45:13 AM] [Rinnai Touch] MQTT: Subscribe: homeassistant/switch/zone/b/set
[11/9/2021, 9:45:13 AM] [Rinnai Touch] MQTT: Subscribe: homeassistant/switch/zone/c/set
[11/9/2021, 9:45:13 AM] [Rinnai Touch] MQTT: Subscribe: homeassistant/switch/zone/d/set
[11/9/2021, 9:45:13 AM] [Rinnai Touch] MQTT: Subscribe: homeassistant/switch/heat/set
[11/9/2021, 9:45:13 AM] [Rinnai Touch] MQTT: Subscribe: homeassistant/switch/cool/set
[11/9/2021, 9:45:13 AM] [Rinnai Touch] MQTT: Subscribe: homeassistant/switch/evap/set
[11/9/2021, 9:45:13 AM] [Rinnai Touch] MQTT: Subscribe: homeassistant/switch/fan/set
[11/9/2021, 9:45:13 AM] [Rinnai Touch] MQTT: Subscribe: homeassistant/switch/manual/set
[11/9/2021, 9:45:13 AM] [Rinnai Touch] MQTT: Subscribe: homeassistant/switch/manual/a/set
[11/9/2021, 9:45:13 AM] [Rinnai Touch] MQTT: Subscribe: homeassistant/switch/manual/b/set
[11/9/2021, 9:45:13 AM] [Rinnai Touch] MQTT: Subscribe: homeassistant/switch/manual/c/set
[11/9/2021, 9:45:13 AM] [Rinnai Touch] MQTT: Subscribe: homeassistant/switch/manual/d/set
[11/9/2021, 9:45:13 AM] [Rinnai Touch] MQTT: Publish: homeassistant/hvac/action/get, Payload: {"A":"off","B":"off"}
[11/9/2021, 9:45:13 AM] [Rinnai Touch] MQTT: Publish: homeassistant/hvac/current_temperature/get, Payload: {}
[11/9/2021, 9:45:13 AM] [Rinnai Touch] MQTT: Publish: homeassistant/hvac/fan_mode/get, Payload: low
[11/9/2021, 9:45:13 AM] [Rinnai Touch] MQTT: Publish: homeassistant/hvac/mode/get, Payload: off
[11/9/2021, 9:45:13 AM] [Rinnai Touch] MQTT: Publish: homeassistant/hvac/temperature/get, Payload: 0
[11/9/2021, 9:45:13 AM] [Rinnai Touch] MQTT: Publish: homeassistant/switch/zone/a/get, Payload: off
[11/9/2021, 9:45:13 AM] [Rinnai Touch] MQTT: Publish: homeassistant/switch/zone/b/get, Payload: off
[11/9/2021, 9:45:13 AM] [Rinnai Touch] MQTT: Publish: homeassistant/switch/zone/c/get, Payload: off
[11/9/2021, 9:45:13 AM] [Rinnai Touch] MQTT: Publish: homeassistant/switch/zone/d/get, Payload: off
[11/9/2021, 9:45:13 AM] [Rinnai Touch] MQTT: Publish: homeassistant/switch/heat/get, Payload: off
[11/9/2021, 9:45:13 AM] [Rinnai Touch] MQTT: Publish: homeassistant/switch/cool/get, Payload: off
[11/9/2021, 9:45:13 AM] [Rinnai Touch] MQTT: Publish: homeassistant/switch/evap/get, Payload: off
[11/9/2021, 9:45:13 AM] [Rinnai Touch] MQTT: Publish: homeassistant/switch/fan/get, Payload: off
[11/9/2021, 9:45:13 AM] [Rinnai Touch] MQTT: Publish: homeassistant/switch/manual/get, Payload: off
[11/9/2021, 9:45:13 AM] [Rinnai Touch] MQTT: Publish: homeassistant/fault/detected/get, Payload: false
[11/9/2021, 9:45:13 AM] [Rinnai Touch] MQTT: Publish: homeassistant/fault/message/get, Payload: No fault detected

Home bridge Config:

{
    "bridge": {
        "name": "Homebridge 9072",
        "username": "0E:4A:24:50:90:72",
        "port": 51467,
        "pin": "031-45-154",
        "bind": [
            "ens18"
        ]
    },
    "accessories": [],
    "platforms": [
        {
            "name": "Config",
            "port": 8581,
            "platform": "config"
        },
        {
            "name": "Rinnai Touch",
            "address": "192.168.1.37",
            "controllerType": "T",
            "zoneType": "H",
            "showFan": true,
            "showAuto": true,
            "showAdvanceSwitches": false,
            "showManualSwitches": true,
            "seperateModeAccessories": true,
            "seperateFanZoneSwitches": false,
            "invertComfortLevel": false,
            "setAutoOperatingState": false,
            "showHomebridgeEvents": true,
            "showModuleEvents": true,
            "showModuleStatus": false,
            "clearCache": false,
            "forceAutoDiscovery": true,
            "mqtt": {
                "host": "mqtt://192.168.1.16",
                "username": "mqttuser",
                "password": "mypasswordhere",
                "topicPrefix": "homeassistant",
                "formatHomeAssistant": true,
                "formatFault": true,
                "publishIntervals": true,
                "publishAll": true,
                "showMqttEvents": true
            },
            "platform": "RinnaiTouchPlatform"
        }
    ]
}

It works fine on homebridge.

My configuration.yaml

climate:
  - platform: mqtt
    name: Brivis Thermostat (MQTT)
    modes:
      - "off"
      - "heat"
      - "cool"
      - "fan_only"
    fan_modes:
      - "high"
      - "medium"
      - "low"
    temperature_command_topic: "homeassitant/hvac/temperature/set"
    temperature_state_topic: "homeassitant/hvac/temperature/get"
    fan_mode_command_topic: "homeassitant/hvac/fan_mode/set"
    fan_mode_state_topic: "homeassitant/hvac/fan_mode/get"
    mode_command_topic: "homeassitant/hvac/mode/set"
    mode_state_topic: "homeassitant/hvac/mode/get"
    precision: 1

Rusti-Gortage, sorry I been limited in the number of tags I can do in one post. It would be great if you could share with me how you got yours going, If you don’t mind sharing. Any assistance would be much appreciated.

hey rusti,
I noticed after upgrading to HA 2021.11.1 that the HA integration with homekit is broken. My Rinnai entities are not showing up as usual. Has anyone else noticed something similar ? Log looks ok, but entities are in error.

@Rusti-gotrage This is what shows up on HA but it won’t allow me to turn the unit on as I believe it has to do with the Zone switch?

Apologies I could only tag you in my second post as I was limited for my first post. If possible can you take a look at my config and let me know what I’m missing please? I understand because I have two NC-6s, the current temperature won’t show which is fine. I saw you used the Aeotec multi-purpose sensor to pass the values to the MQTT thermostat which is cool. First step for me though is to get the thermostat to work in HA . Turn on/off , Set to Heat/Cool and target temperature and the zones :slight_smile:

Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 9.57.35 am

Here’s my current configuration.yaml file

Along with my Homebridge config for the Rinnai

See if that helps you…

1 Like

I’m also using the Dark Thermostat Frontend mod from HACS to replace the normal HomeAssistant thermostat, because that allows me to use the temperature from one of my Aeotec Multisensors as the display in the thermostat whilst the rest of the thermostat controls and responds to the Rinnai nicely…

1 Like

Thank you so much @Rusti-gotrage. very kind of you. I can’t wait to try this :slight_smile:
Have a great afternoon. Thank you for all your help.

Sorry for the delay - here are my configs.

HB Config

"name": "Brivis",
            "controllerType": "H",
            "zoneType": "S",
            "showFan": false,
            "showAuto": false,
            "showAdvanceSwitches": false,
            "showManualSwitches": false,
            "seperateModeAccessories": false,
            "seperateFanZoneSwitches": false,
            "invertComfortLevel": true,
            "setAutoOperatingState": true,
            "showHomebridgeEvents": true,
            "showModuleEvents": true,
            "showModuleStatus": true,
            "forceCache": false,
            "clearCache": false,
            "forceAutoDiscovery": false,
            "mqtt": {
                "host": "mqtt://mqtt.xx.xxx",
                "username": "",
                "password": "",
                "topicPrefix": "brivis",
                "formatHomeAssistant": true,
                "formatConnection": false,
                "publishStatusChanged": true,
                "publishIntervals": true,
                "publishAll": true,
                "showMqttEvents": true,
                "subscribeTemperature": {
                    "U": "zonu",
                    "A": "zonea",
                    "B": "zoneb",
                    "C": "zonec",
                    "D": "zoned"
                }
            },
            "platform": "RinnaiTouchPlatform"

and for HA

#CLIMATE
climate:
    name: Living Room Temperature
    modes:
      - "off"
      - "heat"
      - "cool"
      - "fan_only"
    current_temperature_topic: "brivis/hvac/current_temperature/get"
    value_template: "{{ value_json.A }}"
    temperature_command_topic: "brivis/hvac/temperature/set"
    temperature_command_template: >
      {% set ZoneA = {'A': value} %}
      {{ ZoneA|to_json }}
    min_temp: 0
    max_temp: 30
    temperature_state_topic: "brivis/hvac/temperature/get"
    fan_mode_command_topic: "brivis/hvac/fan_mode/set"
    fan_mode_state_topic: "brivis/hvac/fan_mode/get"
    mode_command_topic: "brivis/hvac/mode/set"
    mode_state_topic: "brivis/hvac/mode/get"
    precision: 0.1

name: Theatre Room Temperature
    modes:
      - "off"
      - "heat"
      - "cool"
      - "fan_only"
    value_template: "{{ value_json.B }}"
      {% set ZoneB = {'B': value} %}
      {{ ZoneB|to_json }}
    mode_command_template: >
      {% set ZoneB = {'B': value} %}
      {{ ZoneB|to_json }}

name: Master Bedroom Temperature
    modes:
      - "off"
      - "heat"
      - "cool"
      - "fan_only"
    value_template: "{{ value_json.C }}"
      {% set ZoneC = {'C': value} %}
      {{ ZoneC|to_json }}

name: Kids Rooms Temperature
    modes:
      - "off"
      - "heat"
      - "cool"
      - "fan_only"
    value_template: "{{ value_json.D }}"
      {% set ZoneD = {'D': value} %}
      {{ ZoneD|to_json }}

and they look like this in HA

1 Like

Hi…
I’ve been having some connectivity problems to the Rinnai Wifi module, so decided to reinstall the integration to see if I can get it to work.

Frustratingly, I can’t seem to pair the unit. When I attempt to add the homekit controller integration via the UI, it gives me an abrupt “No unpaired devices could be found”, and then nothing.

I’ve tried a few things but no avail. The Wifi unit comes up fine as an accessory in homebridge… so the home assistant component is not wanting to play ball…

Any advice is appreciated.

another way of asking the same question is… How do I unpair the rinnai wifi unit, so that I can load the homebridge controller integration properly ?

I am not an apple person, so had to struggle with this mightily.
The key to unpairing (forgetting), is to reset the homebridge integration using the homebridge UI settings dialogue. This will change the pairing code and mac address, which will then trigger HA to discover the integration.
In the hombridge controller web ui, are some reset settings that were key to “forgetting” the pairing. After that things seemed to play nicely. I also set the network interface to point to the relevant lan network where the device is situated. I am showing this here, in order that this may help someone in the future.

Hi all,

Slightly off topic but I Bought the touch module 2 weeks ago and was hoping to integrate with HA but unfortunately I can’t get it to connect remotely. I have had success connecting to my home wifi but unable to remote from outside my house on a different network both LTE or wifi.

To rule out my wifi, I configured the module via mobile hotspot using an iPad but that resulted with the same issue.

The module is sitting right next to my unifi wap and have no issues connecting when I’m home. The module has an amber/Orange led flashing around 6-7 times which indicates to remote connection error on the provided user guide.

Has anyone had any luck connecting to touch wifi module externally or remotely?

Thanks in advance.

Also bought one about a week ago and seeing the same thing, so it isn’t just you. Seven blinking Amber lights, no remote connectivity via the Rinnai app. I haven’t spent any time trying to diagnose it as I plan to control it via Homebridge or HA MQTT and tackle remote access that way.

I don’t really bother with remoting to the touch wifi app… it is somewhat limited.

I integrated the touch wifi component with HA, and it is HA that I remote to you. From there I access all my iot devices as if I’m local.

Not sure if that helps…

Hi @knackers24, I recently bought a unit too and have a NC6 controller…would you mind sharing how you connect the wires to the control panel? I also have a spare speaker cable laying around somewhere… :slight_smile: