Rinnai Heating/Cooling Wifi Module

This looks doable @murphy123 . I’ll have a look over the next few weeks. A fair bit of mapping to do.

New problem: with that new knowledge, I want to use this to correct my time automatically (which 1. Is always fast, 2. For DST). This means, the way to approach this would be:

1. Don’t update the last mode (heater is still heating)
  2. Have a sensor that can detect time setting mode
  3. Have a service that can set the time (and exit time setting mode, basically what the script does)

Then you can make an automation based on the sensor and service call.

Will that work?

Mate you’re a legend!! Looking forward to it!

Sounds good to me, I can certainly try to make an automation based off a sensor, and the added bonus of Automatic DST change would be “fantastix” :wink:

Released 0.12.14:

A new service rinnaitouch.rinnai_set_time is now available in addition to a time setting binary sensor that monitors if the unit is in time setting mode.

If the unit goes into time setting mode by itself (an issue reported in the community), this sensor can be monitored and the service call be made. One should be careful not to make the call too soon as not to interfere with an actual time setting event.

An automation like this should fix your problem @groutley :

Note: if you don’t choose to pass in a set_datetime, it’ll set to the current time as per your home assistant machine.

Can’t wait for DST clock change to happen on Sunday and try this new puppy:

New template sensor for DST:

- platform: template
  sensors: 
    is_dst:
        friendly_name: "Daylight Savings Sensor"
        value_template: "{{ now().timetuple().tm_isdst > 0 }}"
        icon_template: >-
            {% if is_state('binary_sensor.is_dst', 'off') %}
              mdi:weather-sunny-off
            {% else %}
              mdi:weather-sunny
            {% endif %}

paired with this automation:

Awesome!
I’ve updated to the latest release and setup automations,
One question to clarify,
In the Call service for the perform Action, I gather I do not select the ‘set time’ option and it will therefore set it to the HA system time?

When I try to call service under dev tools, if I select set time or not, it is not updating the time on my nc-6
Which out of interest is flashing the incorrect time, and your time seting mode sensor is ‘on’ currently

Yes, you should leave set_datetime unticked.

Can you send debug logs? Works here for me. Same command sequence as we tested with the script.

Hi, sorry for delay, daughters birthday put a delay to my plans, not entirely sure what happened,
Because I had debug enabled, it was filling the logs so fast with errors that HA ran out of space and crashed. I had to purge all of user.log and syslog to free up 60G and get HA up again.
Bottom line I lost all the logs.
When HA was down, I tried using the Brivis app, and it just showed ‘initializing’ once it connected to the module. So I manually set the time on the nc-6 and the Brivis app came good.
Closed that app and got HA up and running and all good/normal again.
So, I missed the debug capture, lost all logs of the condition and havn’t tried manually testing time change yet… maybe tomorrow!

Did you have debug enabled for everything or selectively? You can see how to do it selectively here: GitHub - funtastix/rinnaitouch: Rinnai Touch Wifi Integration for Home Assistant. Works with Rinnai and Brivis systems.

Yes it was only selectively added for this addon.
But from what I saw of it, there were 10’s of lines per second being added every second due to comms issue. Not what should be a normal situation.

For anyone interested: Changing DST time on the unit using the automation worked a charm!

1 Like

Mine triggered, but didn’t set the time, don’t worry… I forgot to set an action on the automation! Duh!

Hi mate, just wondering if there was a method to send in commands manually? While I wait for your work haha Thanks again!!!

I don’t have a method at the moment.

I could add a raw service.

Parsing the data should not take too long, but when I had a look last week, there are a lot of values I have no clue what they could mean. I can make a list of them and we may be able to figure them out together by you changing settings on the unit and observing the debug logs and we can build from there.

So next steps: parse the system state into something useful that can be mapped and allow raw commands to be send via another service.

This week is incredibly busy, but I’ll try next week.

Yeah all good, I’ll try and get more data from the unit and see if I can find anymore information and drop it here.

1 Like

Hello,

Revisiting this topic after a while and noticed the new HACS integration. I have an Evap (with pump and fan). I have the homebridge method setup and working and am considering moving over to HACS integration. I installed it but it only finds the fan (not the pump).

Do I need to shut down the homebridge setup up first? Does anyone have any ideas about the best way to migrate from the Homebridge setup to the HACS setup?

Thanks in advance.

** Update **

I disabled the plugin within homebridge and restarted the Rinnai box and I can now see the pump and wetting sensors and pump switch is now active.

Not sure if I need the ‘common zone’ though.

If you don’t have zoning, you can set up without the common zone

1 Like

Thanks for that… just reading through the documentation, a couple of questions:

• “There is support for an external temperature sensor, to avoid having 0 degrees in the UI all the time” - how do I add this or can it only be set through setup? Do I need to set a zone for this?

• “You can manipulate the Fan as required.” - Can the fan speed be set or is it only on/off?

Thanks for you work on this integration.

When setting up, you can specify the name of the sensor entity. It cannot be done later. You may have to redo the setup.

The fan speed can be set when using fan only mode for heater or manual preset mode for evap. You can achieve fan only for by turning the pump off in manual mode. The fan speed will still display as degrees Celsius in the UI, nothing I can do to change that.

1 Like