Rinnai Heating/Cooling Wifi Module

@aquavass - You’re most of the way there. Read earlier in the thread. That error is most likely because you have the mobile app open. Kill the app completely and restart HomeBridge.

Don’t stress to much. I feel the problem is on my side.

I believe the touch app is working fine. Via the cloud though because i’m in Singapore. So a little hard to connect to my wifi. lol. I can use the current room temperature from my MiJia sensor to check if the unit is on.

The time and date in the container log is way off. Now do I correct it?

Dont worry about my problems to much. I was just impressed and wanted to try things out. :slight_smile:

I’m and android user too. I don’t own any IOS devices and i got it to work… don’t stress to much about that.

@aquavass. You will probably need to restart the wifi module as well. Or your router if the module is hard to get to

OK I finally have it working, unit reset did the trick… @Mantorok my hat off to you for writing this most excellent plug-in… you’re a legend! @David_M and @jsn.forsyth I appreciate your assistance and patience for a beginner who has recently decided to move from the Vera Z-Wave platform to HA and realised that I should have jumped ship earlier :D.

One final question thermostat display zero degrees is this still a work in progress as I noticed that people are using sepreate temp sensor which is no problem as I have multiple throughout the house.

The wifi module only seems to supply the current temperature if you have the NC-7 touch controller or multiple NC-6 controllers

1 Like

I only have one NC-6 which probably explains it. With regards to the MQTT topics, I’ve set up mqtt config @drmcinnes published which works well. I may be missing the logic but I would like to include zone A which is a switch that just opens the vent to upstairs. No additional controller just one. looking at your API topic config, I can’t seem to find this? Is this available? If yes then I’m absolutely blind and would appreciate if you could point me to the specific syntax. Thanks again

Hi @aquavass, the HA format does not currently have a topic for switching zones on and off. I can add it for you. Just let me know which configuration variable within HA will use it and I’ll try to make it work with it.

Thanks mate, within HA it’s switch.manual_switch_a. When selected and deslected it sends the following commands to the Rinnai Touch unit.

N000001{“HGOM”:{“GSO”:{“OP”:“M”}}} - When switched ON
N000001{“HGOM”:{“GSO”:{“OP”:“A”}}} - When swictheed OFF

Those commands switch between Manual and Schedule (ie Auto) control modes. Is that what you want? It sounded like you wanted to be able to switch zones on and off (ie the air flow to vents) which is a different command: HGOM.Z{zone}O.UE with values Y & N

Yep, the command is below for zone toggling, which will change for which zone and heat vs cool. It would be quite handy to have these topics separate for state and command if possible.

Sending command: N000001{“HGOM”:{“ZAO”:{“UE”:“N”}}}

I’ve been able to create a functional pseudo Rinnai Touch display for a tablet using Home Assistant ‘Floorplan’. All the buttons and state icons changes work, with the exception of the Heat/Cool/Power buttons. This is because the usage of these three buttons are bundled in to the Homebridge thermostat accessory, which is pretty normal for any virtual thermostat. At the moment I’m using Node-Red Homebridge integration to toggle the switches and change the button states, however it became difficult to do for those three buttons and the workflows became a bit out of control and not working as expected.

What would be great is to call Heat/Cool/Power using an MQTT topic, as one HA entity can be used for each button which can be used for toggling and state. It would be dependent on a quick command status return though - I could change the status frequency to 1sec, however that will probably add a bit of load to the broker I expect. Would be great to get zone state also with a new topic. I could then throw state icons in to the zone buttons, or change their colour.

All the GUI controls use a HA input_booleon/text/number. The floorplan still has a few issues to iron out, and some additions, but happy to share if someone wants to use it for their own project.

1 Like

That looks awesome!

Impressive. Tracking the usage (time) is such a good idea.

Great work @David_M. If you need additional MQTT message types for it to work let me know

Yeah, just wanted the track the usage as a baseline before I tried putting some insulation under some of the bedroom floors. Could probably even look up the specs and template a $ value… I’m doing this for the aircon with an Zwave energy meter I’ve got connected to the circuit.

Thanks, @Mantorok. I’ll have a think about what would help and get back to you.

Just on that status frequency - there were issues early on I think with people locking up their “touch” if they hit the TCP port too often. @Mantorok - did you come across that?

Yes sorry my mistake. I thought that was the Zone function. I noticed that that HA did not create this as a switch and not sure why? If a MQTT topic is created for zone I could create a virtual switch to feed off it as a work around. Thanks

Indeed thats awesome @David_M! In terms of the heat, cool, off modes via MQTT can’t you create 3 virtual switches and for each configure to send the relevant payload value via function node?

Also how did you get the zone toggle switches as my HA did not pick this up?

@FrontBottom, in my own testing I set the frequency to 5 sec and didn’t have any problems but that was only for short periods of time. It would be good to get some feedback from others like David_M to see how stable it is for them.

I’m currently making changes to allow an always on connection to the wifi module so that status changes can be more “real time”. Not sure how it will go yet.

@aquavass, I’ll add some new message types for controlling zones.