Rinnai Heating/Cooling Wifi Module

Hi mate. Thought I’d try my luck again with some assistance. When the module works it’s great, but all too often, when away from home and trying to access the heating/air con system remotely using the app, I get the “Connection Not Found Screen” on the iPhone. I can try several times during a day and no connection and then all of a sudden a connection is found. I’ve tried both 4G and wi-fi with good signals. It seems that the original configuration is correct but that the connection to the module is a bit hit and miss. Any tips? Has there been a firmware upgrade to the module maybe?

Hey George, I have no issues across any of my devices. Is your module too far away from your WiFi access point maybe? Thats the only thing I can think of, mine is rock solid 24/7.

My module is about 5-6 metres from the wifi router. I might try and get it closer. How close is yours mate?

Probably about 5m from 1 of my APs and maybe 10m from the other one.
It is also not just how far away, but do you have anything that could interfere with WiFi signals, is it running through brick walls, glass, etc. Is it a crappy wifi modem from an ISP ? What standard are you running on your WiFi, etc etc

Sorry to trouble you again. I’ve just diagnosed part of the problem. As soon as I got home, I could access the module once my iPhone was on the home wifi network. As soon as I turn wifi off on the iPhone and rely on 4G, I fail to connect with the module. (I couldn’t access the module from work either using wifi).
I’ve tried this scenario using both my iPhone and iPad. So in summary, connects when on the same home wifi network with iPhone and iPad but no access externally. It certainly did work for a few days externally but it was hit and miss as mentioned earlier, but now not at all. The orange light on the module keeps flashing and there is no error message on the Touch Controller. Any suggestions please mate? Reconfigure??

Just an update here. I tried the ‘old’ switch off/switch back on process on the module almost as a last resort and it seems to have fixed the problem - for now at least.

Has anyone actually integrated this yet?

Nope if you know someone who can code a TCP handshake into a component then point them here :smiley:

Looks like interation is doable … hopefully we can work out how to do it for “free”!

Great so they’re asking $300 for their component/driver. If I buy the driver, upload it here, then cancel during the trial, I wonder if someone could use it to create a component for us.

EDIT: Not sure if it’s an error on their part - the page for their Brivis driver actually has a download link. Here’s a drive link incase they take it down -
driverworks_ip_rinnai.zip

You would still need to buy a licence for a Control 4 System, but if we can get inside the driver file it may have the code we need. Although looks like their driver files are encrypted - https://pushstack.wordpress.com/2016/03/06/control4-driver-decryption/

Bought one last night, so will soon join the group trying to work out how to link this in to HA. :slight_smile:

Awesome. I opened the driver zip and changed the .c4z file to a zip. Opened it and found the Code.lua.encrypted file. According to forums in 2018 they’ve updated the encryption so I don’t think the 2016 blog post method would work anymore.

Ok - just hit the button. $261 at this store on eBay at the moment …

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Brivis-Rinnai-Touch-Wifi-Controller-Gas-Ducted-Heater-Evaporative-Cooling/333142144793

Nice one. Do you have any ideas on how we could get it intergrated? It’s all beyond me sadly

“Maybe?” :slight_smile: I can do a bit of sofware …
From what I can tell from your investigations and some of the others, it appears the APP talks to the “Touch” over a REST API sending JSON comands. I know you found references to MQTT, but from what @J_B found, is seems like unencrypted commands in plain text? If so, I assume it will just be a matter of cataloguing and understanding the various commands. I assume you haven’t found a list within the ‘decompiled’ source files?

I just ordered mine too.

I’ll do my best to debug the communications but i’m not expecting it to be easy. I have a lot to learn…

If someone has the thermostat and app it should be possible to determine the local API using this method.

Thanks Chris, Jason and nicp,
Yes @J_B was correct, local communication appears to be using simple JSON commands, Wireshark lables the protocol as TCP but it could very well be the REST API. The API.dll in the decompiled Android app includes these two files which I’ve linked earlier - CHeating CCooling. These contain the list of commands, @JB has figured out what most of them mean above.
The issue is you cannot just send these commands to the device, a handshake between the app and the device has to happen first. I believe it is a TCP handshake. I think we need to emulate this before we can send any commands.

@mitchmario - so far you’ve listed:

• CCooling.cs
  • CHeating.cs
  • CNBWControl.cs
  • CNetworker.cs
  • CWifiAccess.cs

Is that the complete contents of the dll?

Cheers

Ignore that - saw your previous instructions on how to get it myself … :slight_smile: