RK3588 6 disk Nas/Media/Home Assistant Hardware and Case Build

I just got molex to sata, cut the molex off and wire to Gnd, 5v & 12v psu voltage to a sata chain.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402936673128 £1.89
To
SATA 1 to 5 SATA 15Pin Hard Disk Power Supply Splitter Cable for PC Sever 76cm * | eBay £5.11
As can not find 6 (might do 2x 3)
Acylic case assy
Transparent 3.5inch Hard Drive Bracket Hard Disk Cage for HDD | eBay £10.61
Then just to test some SSD trays to hold it together
TRIXES Metal Internal Mounting Kits 2.5 Inch SSD & 3.5 Inch HDD NEW x2 Brackets 5055804950285 | eBay x3 £3.99
With the M.2 sata adapter
M.2 MKEY PCI-E Riser Card 5/6 Port Converter NVME To SATA SATA3.0 Adapter 6Gpbs | eBay £18.59
I did get a fan controller, but see how that goes as got to a total of £48.17
Automatic Temperature Control CPU Fan Speed DC Controller 12V PWM PC Board 🇬🇧 | eBay £6.95
Waiting to see the spacing on the fan cutouts before I get them.
It more than enough likely it will be just some large capacity 3.5" harddrives (Its a NAS) then dont need the trays then, just a matter of what redundancy via RAID level. £36.2 (Minus tray cost, Hardrives needed)

You can get 10 bay versions that top bays house the Rock5b which from OKDO is https://www.okdo.com/p/okdo-rock-5-model-b-8gb-single-board-computer-rockchip-rk3588-arm-cortex-a76-cortex-a55/ £157.14

When delivered it will get some tweaks and will post updates to the thread to how things go.

1 Like

I’d be curious to see what your read/write speeds look like.

What drives are you going with?

Likely just to test some SSDs in a RAID5 as have a few already, looking for x5 4tb 7200 rpm drives

looking forward to read on your progress

You will have to check out here GitHub - StuartIanNaylor/Rk3588-NAS-Hardware: Rk3588-NAS Hardware

I will not be posting on this forum again.

I found a great 8 disk rack that means top x2 disk spaces your can allocate to RK3588.
Basically the boards fit sideways on a tray for 3.5" to 2.5" conversion.
This seller on aliexpress does great kits all in zip bags even with tools

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003413283663.html

I only came on to post the above as for as for £8.41 just perfect and highly recommend that specific 8 bay.

The m.2 was only £22

But likely will not be able bench the ssds as I do have a unusal number of 120gb sata ssd’s but not 6.

I am just going to bench slower harddrives as always hard large capacity RAID5 in mind.

As just got x6 old drives purely as a demo for the above repo.

Any progress on your build? not much on GitHub )

Yeah I got it built but also ordered a Radxa rock3b as was going also use that as a much cheaper sbc but still has 2x lanes of pcie3.0 with a m.2.
Its same format just a less cpu which for a NAS is no problem.
I have been waiting for a slow boat from china before I post updates.

1 Like

btw, I decided not to wait for your setup and changed my mind about RK3588 and went with Celeron N5105 for better or worse.
Assembled little post on my project Home budget NAS — Hardware part. This is live post I’m updating it as I… | by Volodymyr Boichentsov | Nov, 2023 | Medium

For some reason I though you are going to go with Orange Pi 5 plus

No I like the Radxa Rock5b as it has a single 2.5gb ethernet as a NAS doesn’t need to be a router and you need a managed switch to create trunks or port aggregation.
The RK3568 Rock3b 2x 1gbe so same again but was just going to run with a single nic.
I seem to of been waiting an age so delivery must be soon and will update.
The OrangePi5 is my fave Pi like RK3588(s) board as rate it much more than the Rpi5.
Its a strange thing with the Rpi5 that the RK3588s is near x2 more efficient and slightly faster even when running the Rpi5 @ 2600.
I did try higher OC on the Rpi5 but wow the heat creates a fan noise that was quickly clocked down.

1 Like