Router recommendations

I had a UniFi Dream Machine as well and was starting to get slow and unstable, at times I couldn’t even access the router settings page.

It ended up being the ~100 devices that were on my 6 AP’s and gigabit switch that kept locking the system up. Upgraded to the UDM Pro and it has been rock solid ever since.

I would say if you have a lot of traffic, especially wired security cameras etc go with the UDM Pro for the extra horsepower.

My issue is temperature related, for some reason it runs hotter now than the previous last three years sitting in the exact same spot (yes, I’ve cleaned it) :slight_smile: I’ve always been curious though, how is the noise level on the UDMP?

This looks cool even though it does not have an AP or the software:

Yeah, that little bean can sound like a hovercraft sometimes. UDM Pro is really quiet, way quieter than my older EDGEswitch.

I have recently moved the router to my office due new fiber being run so it’s not on my lab server rack, and haven’t heard it at all so far.

1 Like

After i upgraded my internet line to 1Gb/s i found out my TP link wasn’t up to the job, so now I use an Ubiquity Edge router plus (very cheap).
I also added two ubiquity AP’s
(and still use my TP link on the attic now configured as AP and also as 5 port switch)

Are you sure that’s a router and not a switch? Do you plug in the WAN from your ISP and get local addresses on the other ports? (NAT)?

yes…very sure :grin:

I don’t think we’re on the same wavelength…

Where do you connect the WAN from your ISP? It will NOT be a 192.168.x.x IP, it will be a public IP. The router is supposed to perform Network Address Translation (NAT) into a private IP. 192.168.x.x is a private IP address.

As the name implies the EdgeRouter is a router, not a switch.

Where do you connect the WAN that has a public IP address from the ISP?

In one of the ports? Not sure if you can configure all ports for it or if it’s only eth0, but none the less it’s a router.

Whatever…

1 Like

It is fully unix based, very fast, and highly configurable, supports POE on 2 ports, supports hairpin nat and if you want you can configure it with 2 ISP’s including load sharing :wink:

You can choose any of the 5 lan ports, but by default one of them is desginated as wan :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, looks very decent for the price point! I like to have all my gear on a single pane of glass so sticking with the Unifi here :slight_smile:

Thanks for the video link. My head is now smoking…
I don’t need that much configuration ability, but 2 ISPs for a fallback sounds tempting.

And I thought my network of 76 WiFi connections and 20 or so Ethernet connections was complex…

Ubiquiti has products for that as well (and probably many other vendors do too), but unless you have outages often I really wouldn’t bother. Pricy and adds complexity.

Ubiquiti announced a new router today.

1 Like

Any information about openwrt compatibility?

I don’t think you can run openwrt on it, I don’t see why you would either.

1 Like

To avoid any vendor locks.

I had my mileage and I’m not investing in hardware anymore that doesn’t allow me to install own firmware/software.

It’s not only to risk that a manufacture decides after selling me hardware to start charging for formerly free functions but also to avoid trashing good hardware because the vendor calls in EOL…

The whole idea by running Unifi gear is using their software.