Rpi 4 installation

It works with my Samsung S9 charger. :slight_smile: I have been running it for around 15 hours now with an SSD and /boot on the micro SD, constant reboots with 2 minutes intervalts stresstesting it. Annoying that they are using two Micro HDMI instead of one regular. Who the heck will want to run two monitors from these things? Also I can’t get the SSD to work on the USB3-ports.

1 Like

Got mine up and running on the weekend. My HUSBZB stick showed up fine in /Dev/ttyUSB0 but I haven’t tried it via the integration just yet (not ready to switch off my current HA).

What type of HUSBZB did you use? (brand - Nortek?)

yeah, Nortek HUSBZB-1

1 Like

Shouldn’t that be
$ sudo bash hassio_install.sh -m armv7l
?

Not needed, the -m flag is only used inside the “armv7l” branch of the case statement (which is routed into based on the value of $ARCH - a value specified by your system, not a flag). And since we were modifying the code inside that branch anyway, no need to bother with the -m flag.

Ah, gotcha. I mis-read the editing instructions - I thought it was only change those two lines, I didn’t realize there was a whole block of code that was deleted.

I’m getting
chmod: cannot access ‘/usr/sbin/hassio-supervisor’: No such file or directory

Any ideas?
Thanks

I’m fully up and running and have been for a few days. No problems, the Z-Stick is on an USB 3.0 hub that’s connected to one of the USB 2.0 ports on the Pi 4. Reboot is no problem, the Z-Stick shows up every time. The weird thing here is that I am using a powered hub, and if I have power on it, the Z-Stick shows up in lsusb, but it doesn’t create the port (as shown with ls /dev/tty* which should give the result /dev/ttyACM0 somewhere in there). Without power on the powered hub everything’s good. I am using a Plexgear Desktop 500, but a no-name USB 2.0 hub works just as well. I just want to use this hub when USB 3.0 actually starts working with the Z-Stick, so I can have the USB 3.0 SSD on it as well, with only one connection to the Pi from the hub.

Which port do you have the USB hub plugged in to? I have to unplug mine and replug it to have it detect properly

1 Like

I have it in an USB 2.0 port, at the moment the bottom one. My SSD is at the bottom USB 3.0 port. I think I checked, and it didn’t work if the hub was in one of the 3.0 ports.

I would not be trivial but I saw that they have released the firmware for the Raspberry 4 (beta) has anyone tried it?

Worked fine for me when I tried it. I moved back to a Raspbian install though.

1 Like

Works great for me
Running it on a rpi4 4gb
It’s really fast!!

@fribse and others that may wonder, I have now done a testing cycle with Home Assistant and Z-Stick on my Pi4. Since this morning I have had Node-RED running a special flow on the same Pi (I have that installed anyway to run my Tellstick Duo, which I prefer the Node-RED implementation of) and connected to the same MQTT broker as Home Assistant, so every time the Z-Wave network got a signal from one of my Z-Wave thermostats Home Assistant sent an MQTT message that Node-RED received and first shut down HA and then rebooted the Pi 4. Also there was an extra routine that started a Node-RED timer or 8 minutes, and if no Z-Wave signal was received in that time, it assumed that there would be none and rebooted itself.

In 140 reboots it happened three times that Z-Wave wasn’t received within 8 minutes, and it may simply have been that none of the thermostats had a change to report in that time. The other 137 times everything worked perfectly on a reboot. The time from the reboot was sendt to the OS and until Home Assistant was up and running again was around 25-30 seconds. So SSD, Buster and Pi 4 seems to be both reliable and very fast.

I arrived yesterday !!! RPI 4 4GB, I’m going to install the related firmware then load the snapshots of the current version, did you do so?

Yes and it worked like a charm. But it’s beta so there are some bugs but nothing major that I noticed. I’m still waiting for the full release until I’m permanently switching over :wink:

1 Like

I am a little confused by this tread. Does this beta firmware fix the boot from SSD? I just ordered my pi4 to replace my pi3b+ which I currently boot from SSD. I would like to get that working on the pi4 before I make the switch. Also where do you get the firmware. The only link I found online was a google drive download which seems sketchy. The release only states that it addresses USB heat issues.

Probably I will just wait for an official release that addresses the SSD boot but willing to do some testing while I wait.

How long should I be at the “preparing hass.io” screen?

It’s been at this screen for 2 hours :frowning:

I’m new to Rpi, HA etc. and quite some time i worked with linux commands…but i followed the great guide by “hugh_man” including modifying the “hassio_install.sh”.
Everything went smooth as far as i can see, no error messages including running the modified “hassio_install.sh”.
However i cannot find hassio via http://hassio.local:8123/ or using the Rpi IP address:8123 or http://my_pi_ip:8123/?
How do i know if the hassio is running? I understand that this might be a noob question…but anyhow.

Many thanks!

1 Like