Rpi 4 installation

You didn’t install hassio - you installed home assistant

Thanks. That was not clear that running a curl command with hassio-installer did not install hassio (with addons enabled)

that curl commad sudo bash hassio_install.sh -m raspberrypi4 in my guide will install hassio as well as HA.

1 Like

Dear Skynet101

Great instructions - I ordered what you recommended (Hardware) and followed instructions to setup pi4. Everything worked perfectly. I have Hassio running on Pi4 / SSD :slight_smile: Thanks for all the instructions.

Now on the bad part. I have got into a situation where my setup is not able to discover / connect to any devices running on my network (TP-Link / Sonos). Any idea where to look at and what to look for ?

When following this guide and after step 14

1. Paste the following text a t the end of the first (and likely only) line of cmdline.txt.

root=/dev/sda1 rootfstype=ext4 rootwait

I rebooted and now get

end kernel panic - not syncing: No working init found. Try passing init= option to kernel

Anyone knows what may I have done wrong? @skynet01 could you help please?

Post the complete line from your /boot/cmdline.txt.

The tutorial you are using is out of date. You should better use this one (as it is linked in the comments under the tutorial here in this thread): Raspberry Pi 4 USB Boot Config Guide for SSD / Flash Drives

paddy0174 is right, we need to see your complete line. Also i assume you still have SD card and SSD plugged in.

That guide paddy linked to is correct as well. I used both when creating a tutorial, i linked Toms guide as it seemed easier.

@skynet01 What do you think about opening a new thread with your tutorial as a first post? I honestly think your great tutorial is overlooked in the middle of this thread. :slight_smile:

And you could add another part. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: I experienced an error when trying to use the SSD the first time. It turns out, that in my case it didn’t work, to simply burn the Raspian image again to the SSD.

I needed to go a different route:

• after burning the image to the sd-card, I formatted the SSD (ext4) completely and setup a partition (in my case the whole drive), so no image data on the SSD. Just an empty, but formatted drive. Can be done on any computer with Linux or directly on your raspberry.
  • After plugging in the SSD I wrote the whole sd-card with rsync to the SSD. Has also the advantage, that with this method you do not need to change the PARTUUID, because a simple partition most likely has another PARTUUID.

Let me know, I can write this down more explanatory, if you want to setup a new thread. :slight_smile:

Yeah didnt think it would be this popular. I should have time to make a guide this weekend.

Great, if I can help, let me know! :slight_smile: I’ll write down the part, where I made other steps and send it to you! :slight_smile:

Hi! With the container setup, anybody successfully upgraded to Home Assistant Core 0.105.3? I already gave it one try and Home Assistant failed to boot. However, SSH and Samba Share worked. The Configurator Plugin Container continued exiting right after the start. Not sure if that was the culprit.

Yepp, working without a problem (or better: no new problems). :smiley: If you have SSH and Samba running, what re the logs saying?

Yours and hugh_man’s guides worked perfectly for me, but a couple of things I encountered were that dhcpcd is still running when you install network_manager. For my first try, I’d set up a static IP in dhcpcd.conf, so network manager went and got another through dhcp resulting in two IPs for my instance (oddly both worked at :8123 for HA). However, this created weird issues with SAMBA such that I couldn’t connect to upload my snapshot file (it asked for a password and then said it wasn’t the right one). So maybe include something about disabling dhcpcd if you want to run a static IP:

sudo systemctl stop dhcpcd
sudo systemctl disable dhcpcd

did the trick for me.

Then, use

nmcli con edit

to change method to manual, and IP, DNS and gateway to suit your network.

Secondly, and perhaps this was because of my weird dual IP issues, I couldn’t get the snapshot to restore properly. I could occasionally get into SAMBA to upload the snapshot file, and the addons would get restored, but none of the .yaml files or device/entity config files were. I tried 3 or 4 times, reformatting and rebuilding the SSD each time to ensure I had a clean install. Finally, (after fixing the IP problem) I booted off my old card (SD based HA install), manually copied the config and other HA directories through SAMBA to my laptop, booted back into a fresh SSD version of HA, installed the SAMBA addon, shut down HA via server controls (not host, just HA or SAMBA goes away), then copied all the HA files and folders from my laptop on top of whatever was in the default HA setup on the SSD. I then rebooted the pi and everything worked except the database (which I just deleted and let HA create another of). Note: make sure to get the hidden folders and files (.storage in particular) when you are copying.

I was coming from a hassos version of HA, so maybe that is why the restore failed, I don’t know.

Anyway, after 5 hours and 4 or 5 complete rebuilds of the SSD-based system it works. Hopefully my lessons and experiences can help others be more efficient with their attempts.

Ok, I am using the ‘Manual Installation on a Raspberry Pi’ instructions to install HA on buster lite… When I get to:

sudo -u homeassistant -H -s
cd /srv/homeassistant
python3 -m venv .
source bin/activate

… upon entering ‘python3 -m venv’, i think to start a virtual environment… command line returns:
venv: error: the following argument are required: ENV_DIR

I’m on a clean install, only having done the steps in https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/installation/raspberry-pi/

… can anyone tell me what I need to set or am missing to get into the next step and have the user (homeassistant) in the virtual environment?

Thanks in advance for any help…

Paulie

@Paulie, try looking here: https://docs.python.org/3/library/venv.html

It seems like maybe its not recognizing ‘.’ as a directory, so maybe try the full path.

Hi There,

I followed the instructions and am running into the following issue. Does anyone know how to solve this?

[Info] Install supervisor Docker container - homeassistant/armhf-hassio-supervisor:201
[Info] Install supervisor startup scripts
chmod: cannot access ‘/usr/sbin/hassio-supervisor’: No such file or directory
root@raspberrypi:/home/pi#

There’s a new version of the hassio_install.sh since hugh_man wrote his instructions. In the new version there’s a -m switch (-m raspberrypi4 if you’re installing on an rpi4), so you don’t need to edit the script. If you edited the script, maybe that is causing a problem and you could try the new version and/or use the switch instead?

@skynet01 @Codec303

First that is for all your contributions.

I am a noob with a new RPi4 and SSD etc coming tomorrow.
The newer release of “HassOS 3” with RPi4 support, and changes/upgrades sound great (esp for a noob like me to get started).

So… I am curious if anyone has experimented with the new “HassOS 3” on RPi4?
Is Raspbian OS still faster then the new “HassOS 3” on RPi4?

Also if going the new “HassOS 3” on RPi4 way, is there any way to make edits to use the SSD in some form or other?

I started a post with more details trying to get me started in the right direction considering these advancements and changes in these past 1-2 months:

Noob with New Rpi4 Install ?s Hangin Me Up - 2020

Thank you all for all of your hard work and help. I can’t wait to get going!
Geo

Hi, I’m afraid I have no used ‘HassOS’ in a long time as Raspbian has been working great for me, so I thought ‘if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it’ :slight_smile:

If I was starting from scratch again, I may give the new shiney ‘HassOS’ a try, but last time I tried ‘HassOS’ I had issues trying to get it to connect to a a MQTTS server with a self signed cert, there were some networking issues that I could not fix.

Good luck with whatever you choose to go with, if you are starting out ‘HassOS’ may be better as it’s aim is to offer an automated install, but I’ve not used it in over a year so I have no idea what it’s like now.

I was running it on Raspbian desktop but’s as it is not 64bit and the 64-bit raspbian kernel is still in testing on Pi4, I am testing it running on Manjaro XFCE on a USB-C 3.1 enclosure with a 120GB M.2 SATA SSD now as it is a 64bit OS so I can install VS Code add-on and it is running great so far and was so easy to set it up just by having the just the boot partition on the SD card and the just the root partition on the SSD and editing the cmdline.txt on the SD card to
root=/dev/sda1 rootfstype=ext4 rw ...
It was easier than Raspbian setup on USB boot.