RPi 4 w/ 8GB RAM, Bluetooth devices, Z-Wave devices: is HassOS a non-starter?

Hi,

So I have a fresh install of HassOS on a Pi 4 and have immediately run into this problem: WTH Why is the raspberry Pi 4 bluetooth integration not seeing any bluetooth devices - #121 by petro

Basically, adding the Z-Wave controller appears to lock out the Bluetooth adapter, unless you do an unsupported fix by changing /boot/config.txt which will then be overwritten when a HassOS update happens. This problem seems to be very common, which leads me to wonder who HassOS is for if something so common causes a problem that must be fixed in an unsupported way that gets nuked by updates?

Springboarding off that, I’m wondering if there is a way to have “supervised” HomeAssistant such that add-ons work without having to struggle with this UART device lock-out issue.

Can you clarify which Z-Wave controller you have? In the linked posted you mention you have a “z-wave dongle”, a dongle typically refers to a plugin device like a USB stick. USB sticks don’t have any conflict with RPi bluetooth and will work fine with HAOS out of the box. If you actually have a Pi HAT/Shield (which would not typically be called a “dongle”), then yes that’s more of a configuration issue.

1 Like

It is a USB stick. If I configure the Z-Wave add-on, Bluetooth stops working. If I disable or remove it, Bluetooth starts working again. (To be clear, I mean the RPi built-in Bluetooth.)

Then something is wrong with your installation. Mine (basically same configuration, Zooz 700 stick, and a Conbee 2 AND an additional external Bluetooth adapter to run BLE) none conflict with each other (except Bluetooth wifi and Zigbee radios but that’s a different context and not applicable to your situation)

So what’s the log say when Bluetooth fails to start.

Which USB stick?? /dev/ttyAMA0 is not a USB device path, and never will be, it’s the GPIO on the RPi4. The fact that you’ve configured Z-Wave to talk to that port is your issue, as writing to it is going to mess with the bluetooth process.

If you have a Aeotec Gen5 (not Gen5+), then your issue is the USB stick. Get an un-powered USB hub. If you have another stick, we’ll need that info.

It is a Zooz ZST10. I’m not given the opportunity to change what port it appears on.

Under the Hardware page there’s no listing for it?

See pi 3 - How do I make serial work on the Raspberry Pi3 (PiZeroW, Pi4 or later models) - Raspberry Pi Stack Exchange

Perhaps the output of dmesg would help.

gotta run out to the datacenter for work but I appreciate everyone jumping in so fast; will answer all this a little later tonight :slight_smile:

dmesg output: [ 0.000000] Booting Linux on physical CPU 0x0000000000 [0x410fd083][ 0.0 - Pastebin.com

the two undervoltage events at the bottom are when I connected one of my keyboards (didn’t work after) and then when I reconnected the Z-Wave device (it did work after, or at least it stayed lit afterwards).

Line 216 of your pastebinned dmesg I think confirms that ttyAMA0 is the bluetooth PL011 chip as described in the Stack Exchange link I posted previously

[    1.658040] fe201000.serial: ttyAMA0 at MMIO 0xfe201000 (irq = 17, base_baud = 0) is a PL011 rev2

So it probably explains a bit :slight_smile:

Can you please post the output of the following with the stick plugged and unplugged?

ls -l /dev/tty*
ls -l /dev/serial/by-id
ls -l /dev/serial/by-path

Also, plugging a keyboard in and getting an undervoltage should not happen, fix your power supply!

See also New ZooZ ZST10 setup

here you go:

It’s a CanaKit power supply, btw. 5.1V @ 3.5A.

any thoughts?

The dmesg log isn’t showing any USB serial device being detected, and your /dev directory listings confirm that. So there must be some hardware issue somewhere. Your dmesg log looks like this:

[    1.607012] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial_generic
[    1.608554] usbserial: USB Serial support registered for generic
[    1.610356] mousedev: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice

A proper log looks similar to this when a USB serial device is detected:

usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial_generic
usbserial: USB Serial support registered for generic
usbcore: registered new interface driver cp210x
usbserial: USB Serial support registered for cp210x
cp210x 1-1.4:1.0: cp210x converter detected
usb 1-1.4: cp210x converter now attached to ttyUSB0

There’s nothing around the undervoltage logs that show a USB device being detected either. Maybe those messages are indicating a faulty power supply, or something else in the power path. I have no undervoltage errors with my Pi4 and Canakit PS.

Maybe you need a better USB cable. Lots of articles about Pi4 undervoltage and all seem to relate to bad or poorly designed power supplies or cables.

Yet you are getting undervoltage warnings? Perhaps it is faulty?

something else worth noting is that when I plug in a powered USB hub, it seems like nothing happens, and nothing I plug into it is detected? does that help narrow things down?

Did the thread I pointed to help?

it doesn’t seem to apply - for starters, there is no /dev/serial/[anything]. I have /dev/serial1 and that’s it.

I was referring to the above.

I don’t have a /dev/ttyACM0 with or without the Z-Wave device tho?