RPI3 - third time file corruption

I use RPI3 with a high quality consumer SD card. I am careful not to cut the power without first using the shell to shut down. I use MariaDB om my Synology NAS, so the card should not be hammered that bad. Nevertheless I get segmentation faults and errors when starting up RPI after a while (typically 2-3 weeks)
People out there, are you able to use RPI without card problems?

Could my problem be be caused by a too weak power supply? I use a 2.1 amp Samsung charger. I use Rfxcom and a Zwave stick, both USB.

Odd, I’d try another SD card if you’ve not already.

Power brick is unlikely unless you see odd reboots and such; but if you have another one handy it’s worth trying. I use a spare Apple 12W one and it works fine. I had read somewhere a lot of the off-brand and copies are really crappy; is your Samsung a genuine one?

I think it is just the nature of using SD cards. It’s happened to me a few times too. There was a post a few months ago by @xbmcnut about using a USB stick instead of SD card on pi for this very problem but I don’t know how to find it. It involved some trickery to get the USB to boot.

Since you already have a synology have you considered running home assistant on that via docker? I had never used docker until last week and managed to get it up and running fairly quickly using the inbuilt docker wiz and @philhawthorne has a guide for how to install if needing z-wave . I’ve since moved it over to a PC running debian but I have stayed with docker as the install method.

the Pi3 requires a 2.5A psu from everything and everywhere I’ve seen, even though there are those that argue you don’t need ti. Could it be not big enough? Possibly.

Also, what do you consider high quality SD? I only buy Samsung cards and haven’t had any issues, even after a bad shutdowns.

Having a good quality power supply is No2 in the troubleshooting list of the Raspberry Pi SD Card page
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/installation/sd-cards.md

Here’s my thread discussing the same thing. I’ve not had an issue since booting direct from USB without a SD card.

No odd reboots. I use a SanDisk Ultra card, and just found that several dashboard cam manufacturers specifically warns against this card due to write issues.

Sadly, my Synology seems too old/weak(?) for Docker support. I might be able to install HA in another way (As a fact I already have, but I can’t get the Pychromecast library to work)

Yeah, I know. I will try to get the original psu and change my SD card from SanDisk to something recommended by dashcam manufacturors and GoPro. Transcend and Lexar have cards that is supposedly very good at handling multiple write cycles.

Otherwise I might try to go the USB stick path.

I bought a Samsung EVO 32GB card and the original RPi3 psu. Three weeks without corrupt files now. New record :+1:

Samsung EVO’s are insanely good.

I am also tired of corrupt cards. I tried running from usb but the performance was too slow. Can anyone recommend any hardware for running HA. I am thinking of using vm on win 10 pc as my pc is always online.

It rather depends on what external hardware you have, and whether that will work with your choice of machine.

If you already have a PC that is always on, it makes sense to use that if you can. I run a test set up in a VirtualBox VM running Lubuntu, and that works fine, but is not on all the time.

What power supply do you use on the Pi?

I use rpi3 with a normal ssd by using a usb2sata adapter. No sdcard. It have been working for 6 months now. Normal ssd have control chips that ensure that the number of writes is limited on each cell. SD card normally don’t. So I hope this will work better.

I use samsung charger 5v 2amp. Ordered samsung evo ssd and SanDisk Cruzer Fit 32GB. Will check with both now how long will it go.

This is likely to be your problem. The official power supply is rated at 2.5A. As I said before, the quality of power supply is second in the list of reasons for SD card failure on the raspberry pi website.

Try upgrading this before spending more money on SD cards.

i have 2 rpi both running same samsung 2v adapter. The rpi 1 is running volumio on it and its been running fine from start but i will try changing the adapter also now as its hard to start install everything.

I use a Apple 12W brick, so 2.4A, and it works fine; even when RPI3 is put under higher loads.

Note that it is not just the current capacity of the charger but also how clean the output is. If you Google you will find many adapters get very marginal at their current capacity which is fine for charging; but not so much for powering something.

The Apple ones do well in this regard.

I’m using a RPi3 with the official charger for an year or so and have never had corruption. I have a webcam and some arduinos connected to it trough USB.

Phone chargers are not really meant to be used as power supplies IMHO.

Still not corrupt card after replacing both SD card and psu. I am starting to like mye RPi again :wink:

8 weeks and counting…

1 Like