RYD (TankTaler) Home Assistant integration

Hi everybody,

I just bought a ryd OBD Box to connect to my car. Now i want to integrate this into Home Assistant, for Car Presence detection and data on my car status. All I could find was this:

But I have no Idea how I could integrate the ioBroker to HomeAssistant. I have heard of an ioBroker addon in HACS but I never used it.

Does anyone have an idea on how to integrate it?

Here a link to the OBD Box:

Thanks to anyone for ideas!

Hello, and Welcome to the Forum. Idon’t know if there is ioBroker in HACS, sorry. But here in the forum there are already several threads about OBD connectors…

You will definitely find help there :wink:

I started to write something in python to read the ryd obd connector under:
https://github.com/Yannik25/pyryd
It is working to read out all information from the connector.
Feel free to contribute. I have some exams end of this and at the beginning of next month.
I got the URL from packet sniffing. Not sure if I should put it on GitHub. Couldn’t find the URL which: https://github.com/NemoN/ioBroker.ryd used.

2 Likes

Hi Yannik25, great to hear! If you have a short tutorial on how to add it to HA I’ll be glad to check it and help where I can.

And don’t stress it. Good luck on your exams!

You can try to set it up with your account and report back.
It is by no mean pretty, but that is what I can do for now.
Thank you for the initial link.

1 Like

Hey Yannik,

thats looking interesting - I am also looking to integrate ryd.one into HA.

If you need any help with testing, let me know!

Hi @l4ci, @CptKalibak ,
the component has evolved to be fairly usably by now and could use some testers. Feel free to check it out :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi. Awesome work. Sorry for the late reply. Got a lot going on.
I’ve been testing it ever since you started. It is looking amazing. I will test it more intensively and will give more feedback.

Ok. The integration is all I wanted and need, thank you!
Where can I get you a coffee?

It’s even better now that the android app ryd always logs me out after 24h and this seems very stable.

Just one question. I can’t seem to get the map Lovelace card with the ryd parking or current location going. Anyone have a small config for me? If I add both entities to the map card nothing shows up. But I must confess I never used that card before.

Hey,
First of all big thx for the integration!

Is it still working with ryd?

I managed to install in HACS.
Then I added the lines with sensor…. From readme in the overall config yaml - hope that’s correct?!

I still don’t find any device or entity in Hassio….
As this is the first time I had to set up an integration manually via code problem could be sitting in front of the screen… :wink:

BR,
Tom

Hi,
Yes the integration is still working.
You will find the sensor values under settings → devices and services → entities
you can filter e.g. for ryd.
BR,
Yannik

Yeah, i can confirm i use this since the beginning and have no issues. It works wonderful. And whith the combination of the HACS addon Places, i get clean adresses and project them in my Floorplan. This way i can always see at a glance if my wife is at a store where i need something. :slight_smile:

Hello, could you please explain to me how you created a tracker with the data from Ryd in the Configuration.

Thank you very much

Sure,

I installed the places custom component through HACS

And used the device_tracker.ryd from this ryd integration in places. This gives me a new sensor with great attributes from places that I use as location.

I use places for all of my vehicles that provide gps coordinates. It’s a great addition. And this allows great automations. Just send a location if the car is parked more than 5 minutes (great for city travels and parking spaces). And ryd allows me to send a notification if I need to refuel the car (great because I share the car with my wife).

Sure,

I installed the places custom component through HACS

And used the device_tracker.ryd from this ryd integration in places. This gives me a new sensor with great attributes from places that I use as location.

I use places for all of my vehicles that provide gps coordinates. It’s a great addition. And this allows great automations. Just send a location if the car is parked more than 5 minutes (great for city travels and parking spaces). And ryd allows me to send a notification if I need to refuel the car (great because I share the car with my wife).
[/quote]

unfortunately i am new to homeassistant. how do i create the device_tracker_ryd in the configuration.yaml which is not available for me

You are going to need the Ryd Box Car GPS Logger OBD plug. And an account. If that is set up you can use this integration which is easy to set up and the device tracker will automatically be added.

I just got this from RYD

Lieber ryder,

wir möchten dich heute über ein wichtiges Update informieren: die Dienste der ryd box werden am 30.04.2024 eingestellt.

Translated means the box will stop working at 04/30/2024

Darn it. In that regard. My old Passat doesn’t have gps, does anyone know of any alternatives?

Unfortunately, I also received the email, but since I can keep the device, I will try to analyze it after the expiration date, maybe the device itself can still be used.

At the moment I still find Dimo (dimo.zone) exciting, it looks a bit like the early days of TankTaler.

Maybe there will be a community for hardware hacking of the device with this post.

What you can see is that it is an LMU30G600, just relabeled.

All information and teardown photos are online, if anyone is interested.
ryd-tanktaler-research - Github Repo

What I found so far, that you can probably use this box with Traccar server, if you place your own SIM card inside for connection and reset the box to factory and then set your own Traccar server as endpoint.

There is an UART port on the PCB, from left to right:

1. VCC3,3V
  2. TX
  3. RX
  4. Ground

For factory reset (you will need to configure it from ground up afterwards!)
-swap SIM card
-connect power to OBD port (4=GND; 16=12V)
-connect with a TTL-USB-Adapter 115200 8/1 flow:no
-send SMS “!R3,70,0” for reboot
-wait until you see output on the command line
-quickly enter “AT#FACTORY”

The uart port seems to be deactivated, i was only able to enter commands directly after rebooting the device. Could also be that this behavior is only a aggressive sleep timer with motion detection.

Here are some info for available commands:
https://www.traccar.org/forums/topic/calamp-lmu-2630-setup-problems/

Maybe a factory reset isn’t even necessary and it would be enough to reset APN, tracking server and port:
This should be doable by sms only:
!RP,2306,0,internet.telekom (Telekom Germany APN)
!RP,2306,1,internet.telekom
!RP,2314,0,telekom (APN User)
!RP,2315,0,tm (APN Passwort)
!RP,2319,0,yourtraccerserver.com
!RP,769,0,5082 (default port for calamp)

1 Like

Hi, i have now installed traccar and am trying the variant with nabu casa. Phones work flawlessly but the new GPS Tracker ST-902 that i got to test this with my car cant hadle the way to long webhook URL.

do you guys have an idea how to shorten that? or can the old ryd tracker support url longer than 255 characters?