Samba add-on changed /config to /homeassistant

as of Samba add-on version 11.0.0 we now have a change in the underlying folder being shared.

/config was changed to /homeassistant

SchermĀ­afbeelding 2023-11-11 om 12.30.14

and working properly as such, no errors at all anywhere.

considering I have the /config/etc/etc in many yaml configs, either backend:

sensor:

- platform: file
    file_path: /config/logging/filed/filed_notifications.txt
    name: Filed notifications

or frontend:

title: Welkom
icon: mdi:home
path: welkom
type: custom:vertical-layout
#layout:
#  max_cols: 2
cards:

- !include /config/dashboard/buttons/buttons_dashboard_direct.yaml
  - !include /config/dashboard/includes/include_alerts_dashboard.yaml

- !include /config/dashboard/includes/include_alarm_armed.yaml

I was confused whether we should edit those accordingly. As said, even though all was working properly and no errors are logged.

I tried the frontend as that was easiest, and no, that is not accepted by the system, Dashboard responds with a

in "/config/dashboard/dashboards/ui-overzicht/view_overzicht_Welkom.yaml", line 9, column 5: Unable to read file /homeassistant/dashboard/buttons/buttons_dashboard_direct.yaml.

so, this means we now have a new folder /homeassistant in the system, but is is mapped to /config in our files.
just like we have the /www folder, but we need to reference it as /local

btw the docs in the Samba add-on still show the former

but I take it that is soon to be updated . :wink:

Would appreciate if someone has the insight of explaining the why of this change, and maybe even the future. Will we soon need the /homeassistant reference anywhere in the user files, or is this all only for internal Add-on usage?

introducing conflicting folder names is a bit of an oddity, especially given the fact this is a very frequently referenced naming structure copied directly into our yaml files.

4 Likes

see comments on the GitHub documentation change I prā€™d:
the change is being reconsidered

Just seen the reply of Frenck,

so no worries no panic :slight_smile:

1 Like

i just updated, and indeed /config is where it was :slight_smile:

PS: In File Editor

This is what I see on my W10 box. Iā€™ll need to modify a few pointers to get backups working again.

Then I do not get Frenck as /config is not used? it changed to /homeassistantā€¦?

yes, i get the point

Maybe it can be easily ā€œfixedā€ with a symlink in the root of the container
edit: nope donā€™t seems to work , from windows

so it changed to /homeassistant ?
if so i wonā€™t update anyway.

lucky me not having a ā€˜homeassistantā€™ defined within the veto files ā€¦ for the sake to prevent seeing such nonsense.

But since one could do a rollback to the last sensefull version, no problem.

I installed Samba share today and can mount any volume, with the exception of ā€˜homeassistantā€™.
I get an error of : The operation canā€™t be completed because the original item for ā€œhomeassistantā€ canā€™t be found

have you installed latest core, and rebooted ?

Iā€™m on 2023.11.2
Have done a restart of home assistant.

Are you saying I need a cold restart as well?

you could try, or open a terminal and type " cd / " and verify whether you have /homeassistant or still /config there

Cold start. same issue.

When I look in Studio code server, the directory name is still CONFIG, but smb still presents me with this ā€˜homeassistantā€™ share that leads nowhere, and thereā€™s no ā€˜conifgā€™ volume listed (assuming that has to do with the topic in the bulk of this thread).

yes, there are a few bug reported in regards to this, how ever i have /homeassistant in the / of my terminal, as well as in /root folder there, there should be symlinks to /homeassistant, check again
PS: on the other hand i had Samba installed when i updated to 2023.11.2

And only thing that donā€™t work is if i try to access /config from windows, which is fine for me, havenā€™t ā€œdiscoveredā€ other than 1 own-made reference , which i change to /homeassistant/*

At the root level in SCS, I only show CONFIG, OUTLINE, TIMELINE and MDI EXPLORER.
There is a ā€˜homassistantā€™ file in the CONFIG directory, but SCS gives me a ā€˜file not foundā€™ if I select it.

All Iā€™m trying to do is to transfer some files into the www directory, I guess Iā€™ll explore other routes at this point. Bit disappointing as smb would have been so simpleā€¦

? i have no idea where you are, Do you have a terminal/ssh add-on installed ?
Could you open it, and type ls -la, then post a screenshot

My bad, I was assuming I was looking at my entire file structureā€¦

Hereā€™s what I show:
Screenshot 2023-11-11 at 12.16.31

ok, then type cd , and hit enter
and verify that you have a folder named ā€¦ homeassistant , then then type ā€¦ cd homeassistant, hit enter,

No such file or directory