Samba add-on changed /config to /homeassistant

Fair point. But I don’t use mapped drives. I use network shares - that is what samba is for isn’t it?

Yes, but then you shouldn’t be spending hours updating anything… So I guess I’m interested in what you spent all that time doing?

1 Like

13.11.2023_15.58.09_REC
This is howto do it in i.e windows, i have short-cuts on my desktop … To the Share-Point, and they “updated” nicely, as it’s the Sharepoint

This. Read and understand before random updates.

It was identified quickly and the warnings went out within hours. To not do anything.

Personally I don’t think end usera should have had to do anything (and in fact mine - I use direct path in file manager or the run box - which exhibited as a jacked up workspace in VSCode and a copy of notepad++ that couldn’t get anything went away the moment the revised samba addon. Was shipped without any intervention except update samba.)

The moral of the story is the issue was identified and warned and corrected quickly - before randomly adjusting to what comes down the pipe read and ask before intervention.

1 Like

in the same vein, if your hostname for home assisstant is homeassistant then you can just type \\homeassistant in your browser and pin that. Boom done. Then when opening your vscode folder, use that pin.

1 Like

Yes, i would have to type less then, 2 of my HA-instance have 5-6 letters name, but i use IP-number in my network, to avoid netbios, and the “hard to troubleshoot issues” that comes with it

“”"NetBIOS may still be in use when it is combined with the TCP/IP protocol suite on enterprise networks. This combination is referred to as NetBIOS over TCP/IP (NBT). NetBIOS for Microsoft operating systems is only supported on IP version 4 networks and is not compatible with the newer IP version 6 protocol stack.

What is the difference between NetBIOS and DNS?

EDIT: upps missed this part
“”"
NetBIOS provides two communication modes: session or datagram. Session mode enables two computers to establish a connection for a conversation, enables larger messages to be handled, and provides error detection and recovery. Datagram mode is connectionless, so each message is sent independently, messages must be smaller, and the application is responsible for error detection and recovery. Datagram mode also supports the broadcast of a message to every computer on the LAN.
“”"

Both NetBIOS and the domain name system (DNS) use naming processes that map physical or logical computer addresses to names that are easier for humans to work with. In the case of DNS, a computer or device’s IP address is mapped to a unique domain name such as techtarget.com. From a NetBIOS over TCP/IP perspective, the IP address is mapped to a human-friendly NetBIOS name that uses up to 16 alphanumeric characters. However, note that Microsoft’s implementation of NetBIOS reserves one of those 16 characters to define specific NetBIOS functions. Thus, Microsoft NBT uses names up to 15 alphanumeric characters long.

The other major difference between DNS and NetBIOS is that DNS uses a hierarchical naming structure while the NetBIOS structure is flat. With DNS, a “.” designates the hierarchy within the system. For example: test1.techtarget.com and test2.techtarget.com both live within the “.com” top-level domain and “.techtarget” second-level domain. This enables improved efficiencies within the mapping structure itself.

NetBIOS, on the other hand, does not use a hierarchical or nested structure. Instead, all devices on a corporate LAN reside inside a single, flat structure. This makes NetBIOS far less scalable as the number of devices increases when compared to DNS.

Finally, DNS has become far more popular compared to NetBIOS. DNS is used on virtually all corporate networks and across the internet, while NetBIOS is now only used for legacy application use cases.
“”"

Fyi: instead of defaulting to IP (totally valid) you can disable netbios over tcp using dhcp option 1 if you don’t need it.

1 Like

Yes, i noticed lately you also are “Microsoft Man” :slight_smile: , metoo

However

[MS-CIFS]: NetBIOS-Based Transports | Microsoft Learn.

NCSC: Internet Accessible NetBIOS Name Services.

So i stick to IP, and have often wondered if some of peoples peculiar “resolve issue” is infact doo to people using Netbios, AND DNS communication, in an uncontrolled/unaware/mixed way,

i sure hope HA uses my devices IP, for direct communication, and not the devices-netbios-names

1 Like

If your on win 10 or better they’re getting better about not using it. They’re finally planning on killing wins in an upcoming version of Windows server if you can believe it.

Ive disabled netbios on all of my segments by dhcp for many years now. If everyone is win 8or better it works fine except in rare circumstance.

Also I’ve taught network admins for years. ALL problems are Name Resolution issues until proven otherwise. Yes unexpected netbios use accounts for a lot of issue on Microsoft networks because people don’t understand the three or four ways windows resolves addresses. DNS is now the primary in MOST cases but when mDNS or single name addressing gets involved things get weird. (im pretty convinced most mdns issues I see where people can’t connect to http://homeassistant:(port) on windows networks is bad netbios resolution.)

1 Like

Isn’t this all going seriously off topic …

The addon aspect has been fixed, so please keep this topic tidy?

2 Likes

I’d say it needs to be closed and locked actually Marius. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, I ‘solved’ it yesterday…

1 Like

Yes, well as it’s solved and should be buried , it just spinned of with suggestion of how to handle i.e ( Samba communication in Windows ) , and some could learn something about their network, by following the conversation

1 Like

just a heads up:

Reverts #4697

As discussed, reverting this change.

Reasoning:

• /config will always point to the active config in the matching container. The Home Assistant container will have its config in /config, all plugins have their config in /config and add-ons will now have their config in /config too.
  • /homeassistant is where other containers can access the Home Assistant configuration (if needed, but in general, their should not need it).

The above will add consistency to the developer experience (as part of the original intention was for this specific case).

For user-facing add-ons (like ssh, samba, vscode, file editor, e.d.), they will be adopted that they map config to /homeassistant, so that the change is transparent/non-breaking from the user experience.

2 Likes

Hi, so now I have a breaking event. Not sure if this is “intended” but after updating samba addon to 12.1.0 my node-red flows stopped working.

I used to make a snapshot and save it like:

I used to send it like:

But this stopped working…

Now when I change this to:

It starts working again…

Is this excepted behavior?

EDIT: reading was working again. As the file already was there, I thought writing worked, but this also broken. I was reading an old file.

Yes it’s expected behavior but t’s not samba causing it. Search the forum for node red 16 lost flows or node red 16 can’t write to… and you’ll see literally hundreds of posts in multiple threads discussing the issue.

1 Like

Ok, thanks, this recently changed did it? Oh I did not update to 16.0 but directly to 16.0.2

1 Like

Yes.

Short version it’s connected to what happened to samba. Where addons run from is changing and they don’t have unfettered write access to all folders anymore.

Jeez, indeed that’s a lot of posts… in short, just replace config with homeassistant or is there a fix coming?

EDIT: Jeez 114 places in node-red to change… W T F

It will not be changed. That’s a start But there’s more to it please go read the posts. And if you have further questions about it post in a node red related thread to keep the samba thread clean.

Sambas issues were related but exhibit differently

1 Like