Samba share AND Windows 11 NOT WORKING!

SOLVED!
After some tries has worked also for me Very Thanks!
Unfortunately is not possible to connect to the root but i have to create a connection for each folder,
but better that nothing! In italy we say “rather than nothing better rather” probably in english not make sense :wink:
Thanks a lot to everyone!

OK Petro, I understand! Thanks

It would be helpful for others if you describe how you finally got it to work and not just mark your own post as the solution, which contains no information about how you solved it.

1 Like

I have answeder to yousaf465 thats has given the solution that i applied!

what I understand is you mapped the drive from using the address \192.168.xx.xx\config or \homeassistant\config and checking “connect using different credentials”, in the following dialogue using the samba share addon configuration username and password?

1 Like

Yes is what i did

Then mark his post as the solution…

I already moved it

1 Like

file: %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
add new line at windows hosts file
ip.address host_name [alias_name]

192.168.1.2 HOMEASSISTANT

There is quiet simply solution for your problem. Use following username format when prompted in Windows:

ha_hostname_or_ip\username
eg. 192.168.0.10\homeassistant
1 Like

For anyone having tried anything and still struggling like I have been, then hopefully this might help.

No matter what, I would get a strange error along the lines of network name not found when trying to connect to the samba shares on Home Assistant from a Windows 11 machine.

I trawled through all the logs in Event Viewer and eventually found this under Application and Service Logs → Microsoft → Windows → NTLM:

“NTLM client blocked: Outgoing NTLM authentication traffic to remote servers that is blocked.
Target server: cifs/homeassistant.local”

This lead me to the group policy “Computer Configuration → Windows Settings → Security Settings → Local Policies → Security Options → Network security: Restrict NTLM: Add remote server exceptions for NTLM authentication” where I added the homeassistant.local address. This instantly resolved the issue for me.

I hope this is of use to anyone else who ends up in the same situation as me.

Yes Thanks @yousaf465 this works for me on windows 11

Thank you. This resolved my problem.

This problem has been KILLING ME Thanks!

I had the same problem in Windows11
and I tried all the recommendations and advices above
nothing worked
and then I find this:
the problem was the configuration of Samba in Homeassistant
go to Settings → AddOns → SambaShare → Configuration → allowed hosts: register the IP of the Windows11-PC
and - voila - everthing is working

you are great!

Thanks mudshurko,

That worked for me.
Only problem I had was that i could not add another IP address in the allow hosts section for some reason.
Had to edit in Yaml code.

you are my hero, 2 full days trying to connect, god bless your sweet cotton socks xx

The whole problems feels like improper support for IPv6.

I’ve got native IPv6. And Windows 11 supports that with SMB as well. Homeassistant too. However, the Samba configuration enables only a certain set of IP addresses.

Having a public IPv6 network, that gets propagated to all devices, and so those addresses are not permitted.

Using the internal IPv4 address in the explorer directly just works.

I just wasted an hour on this without success. I can ping the HA system. I added my Windows 11 machine’s IP to “allowed hosts” in the Samba configuration, that didn’t help. I tried using “different credentials”, got the prompt, entered the name/password as per the Samba configuration, and all I ever get is - wait for it - “check the spelling of the name”.

I’ve given up on Samba. In fact I’m thinking of starting over with HA and running it on a little Windows box. I’ve spent too much time fighting with Linux weirdness and stuff like Samba, and I no longer see the point. Running it on an RPi4 seemed cool at the time, but all it really does for me is make everything inaccessible. This Samba insanity has sort of been the last straw.