Samsung Tab E stuck on "Initializing"?

Hi
We have an old, rarely used Samsung Tab E that was wheezy with it’s 4.4 KitKat installation.

Rather than discard it, I was thinking we could repurpose it for guests on their bedside table with a basic HA login to control their guest room.
Just to control some switches, lights and maybe hook into Plex for some music or media without having to use their phones. Add a little smart charging to keep the battery healthy and Bob’s your Aunty.

HA needs Android 5+, so I tried installing a new ROM following this video guide.
I got it up to V7.1.2 (“dotOS”), left it unrooted and installed a few bits from the PlayStore.

All good so far until I tried to launch Home Assistant
It launches ok, autodetects the HA installation on the network, but when I click > to continue it gets stuck on “Initializing”.

I tried via the built-in browser and it was the same.
However when I downloaded Chrome and used the LAN URL, it prompted me for a uname/passwd.
Installed Samsung Internet and again it got past initialisation and prompted me for a HA login.
Same with Opera browser

Reading up on someone else having the same issue, it looks like they needed Android System WebView updated for the app to get past the initialisation part.
It wasn’t even installed, so I got it from the play store (v105), rebooted, but it’s still the same :frowning:

I’m a bit stuck on how to get this working now as I think it’s missing another component from the ROM that HA needs to work. I had a look at the XDA forums, but most of the ROMs appear to be discontinued.

Has anyone else reused an old tablet like this and got it working?

I just tried Fully Kiosk Browser and it also gets stuck on Initializing

You need to update and use Google version of Android system WebView. As it’s a custom ROM you also need to make it the default WebView.

2 Likes

Thanks
I had installed it but didn’t realise that it need to be set so it could be used.

Took a while, but I found it in:
Settings | Developer Settings | Webview Implimentation
Once there I could set the Google Webview to be the default.

Tested and I get to the HA login prompt :slight_smile:

2 Likes