Samsung Tizen Support

Got a new Samsung TV running Tizen which does not appear to be supported with the current samsungtv media_player component. Would love to see support for the newer models running Tizen.

2 Likes

Here is some additional detail on a Github project using the new API for Homebridge integration:

2 Likes

This is one of the things I would love to have implemented on my home setup.

I recently bought a KS8000 and this would be awesome. Could someone have a look at this, please? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ill have a swing at this, if I just find the time.

So, after looking into this samsungctl seems to have support for tizen via websocket. I tried it and it works fine, hass needs update for this to work though

Seems its already in the upstream, hold out for next release!

1 Like

Hi,

I have a samsung UE40JU6445 running Tizen, which I am trying to get working with HA. Just installed HA 0.37.0.
Changed the config so that port is 8001, HA appears to find the correct device, i.e:

Jan 29 22:52:58 raspberrypi hass[27861]: INFO:homeassistant.components.discovery:Found new service: samsung_tv (’ UE40JU6445’, ‘UE40JU6400’, ‘192.168.1.66’)

But has an issue:
> Jan 29 23:12:42 raspberrypi hass[27861]: TypeError: init() missing 3 required positional arguments: ‘environ’, ‘socket’, and ‘rfile’

Have I done something incorrect or do I need to hold a little longer for it to be released?

It’s released and working for me. What environment are you running HA in?

Hi
Running on Raspberry Pi , using the manual install.

Raspbian Lite: /etc/os-releaseshows:

PRETTY_NAME=“Raspbian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie)”
NAME=“Raspbian GNU/Linux”
VERSION_ID=“8”
VERSION=“8 (jessie)”

I had to pip3 install websocket after changing port to 8001 as saw the following:

ImportError: No module named ‘websocket’

But now seeing:

File “/home/homeassistant/.homeassistant/deps/samsungctl/remote_websocket.py”, line 21, in _init
self.connection = websocket.WebSocket()
TypeError: init() missing 3 required positional arguments: ‘environ’, ‘socket’, and ‘rfile’

I was not able to get websocket installed onto Synology NAS, so moved to the pi.

Happy to try a different environment to get this working, what environment were you able to get running?

Many thanks,

same issue here with Pi and latest HA installed.

Hi

How can I configure this to work with my HA. I have a Samsung TV running Tizen and Amazon Dot?

Thanks

should look something like this:

media_player:
    - platform: samsungtv
      host: 192.168.1.183
      port: 8001
      name: Basement TV

The port defines it at Tizen/2016+

HA detects it but it the TV doesnt respond to any commands like power off or volume up/down. Do you experience the same?

Mine is the same way, I am able to see the state of the TV but none of the controls work.

1 Like

Work ok for me. I’ve found that at times I have to send the initial command multiple times (I think the websocket setup is buggy) but once it connects the controls work as expected.

Do you have any errors in the log?

Nothing in the logs. Mute, Vol Up and Down seem to do nothing. If I turn off the TV from Home Assistant the Home Assistant remote turns off but then quickly turns back on. I guess the samsungctl client is pinging the TV to read the state of the TV. When using the commands given on the the Samsungctl github page the command goes seems to go through but no response on the TV.

You’re using the websockets on port 8001?

Yes I am using websockets

how did you set that up? all I have in my config.yaml is:

media_player:
    - platform: samsungtv
      host: 192.168.1.183
      port: 8001

Is that the correct IP address for the TV?