Scene editor setting "effect: none" causing issues with Gledopto lights

Dear community,

I am noticing weird behavior with scenes to control my Gledopto GU10 lights through a Philips Hue bridge. I narrowed down the issue and I think it may be a bug with either the frontend (scene editor) or with the way the light_on service call is pushed to the Hue integration.

This is the strange behavior I’m witnessing:

• I configure a scene using the frontend scene editor with one of my Gledopto GU10s lights
  • When the light is off and I execute the scene, the light will always turn on with a purple-ish low saturated color. I think it may be the default color of the light and somehow the color set in the scene is ignored.
  • When I run the scene a second time (this time with the light already turned on in that purple’ish color), then it sets the color correctly.

I narrowed down the root cause of the problem to the parameter “effect: none” that is added by the scene editor in the configuration file. If I remove this line, all my Gledopto lights behave as expected.

So, I’m looking for the best way to fix this and in order to do so I need to better understand if this is a bug in Home Assistant, in the Philips Hue integration or perhaps in my Gledopto lights.

I see two paths towards a solution:

1. It’s annoying that the scene editor always adds “effect: none”. I have to manually remove it whenever I edit a scene using the editor. Is this really the behavior we should expect from the scene editor, if it appears to be causing issues with certain lights? Is there a way to prevent the frontend from adding the “effect: none” parameter if no effect is selected?
  2. I would expect that “effect: none” means no effect should be included in the command sent to the light. But my light is behaving differently with “effect: none” present vs. not having the effect parameter present in the service call at all. I would expect that the light bulb should receive exactly the same command with “effect: none” and without having the effect parameter present, no?

Another few remarks:

• The weird behavior seems to be limited to Gledopto lights. Philips Hue lights do not experience this issue.
  • The issue doesn’t occur with Hue scenes that are triggered directly from the Hue app. It’s limited to Home Assistant scenes.
1 Like