Scheduler card/custom component

Are there anyone who has made a button that can add sechdule to this card, with needed settings, like
turn on power next day between start-time and end-time, and when finnish turn off the power and delete schedule.

@deanfourie

Yes ofcourse. You need to configure in the card settings (either via the UI editor or yaml) which entities you wanā€™t to control via schedules.
This also determines which entities show up when clicking the ā€˜addā€™ button.
It looks like these schedules were created from another card.

@ghq

The card only allows setting sunrise/sunset +/- 2 hours offset.
So the option is probably greyed out because the marked time is not close enough to sunrise or sunset.

1 Like

Thank you, that was it!

However, there appears to be a weird quirk. I know time zone stuff is a pain to program, and this is somewhat of an edge case, but it seems this time check is based on the sunrise/sunset time as translated to the local machineā€™s time.

For example, I am on the East Coast and managing an instance on the West Coast. Sunrise in the instanceā€™s time zone is 7:23am, which is 10:23am for me. If I adjust the scheme point to 7:20am (3 minutes before sunrise), ā€œsunriseā€ remains greyed out. It only becomes accessible in the range of 8:30am-12:20pm (i.e., the instances sunrise time, translated to my time zone, +/- 2hrs).

I am assuming this is abnormal behavior and that times are evaluated according to the HA machineā€™s timezone.

Whether or not it is worth the effort to fix the time zone issue, I think it would be extremely useful to show a message explaining the behavior. Something along the lines of ā€œPoints can only be offset +/-2 hours from sunrise/sunset. ā€˜Sunriseā€™ will be available if you choose a point in the range of 8:30am-12:20pm, and ā€˜Sunsetā€™ will be available if you choose a point in the range of 6:00pm - 9:50pm.ā€

Just my 2 cents; thanks for all the work youā€™ve put into this!

Edit: Actually, what if it just snapped the time point to the one closest sunrise/sunset when you clicked the corresponding button? That might be more intuitive than having the buttons be greyed out. Just a thought.

Hi,

I set a schedule with a time scheme (with three timeslots). All is running fine, except for HA restart. The documentation says ā€œIf HA is restarted: the schedule will determine which timeslot is active, and trigger this action immediately.ā€. It is not the case, I need to open the schedule and to save it (without modification) in order the action to be triggered.

What could be the problem ?

The behaviour has been changed in the last update of the scheduler-component, after a discussion/request that was started here.
The changes and new behaviour are discussed in this thread: Do not re-trigger schedules when HA restarts Ā· Issue #234 Ā· nielsfaber/scheduler-component Ā· GitHub

Re-triggering of timeslots at startup only happens now if a timeslot was ā€˜missedā€™ while HA was not running.
Otherwise, the entity should remain in the same state as it had prior to the restarting of HA (this has nothing to do with scheduler).

Which problem are you encountering?

The behavior has been changed in the last update of the scheduler-component.

Ok, I was not aware of that. So may be the doc should be updated ?

Which problem are you encountering ?

My climate entity was configured with a target temp attribute which is used at restart of HA (in place of the scheduled temp before the restart). I removed it and all is fine now.

However I feel uncomfortable to have to remove this attribute since it exists for some reason and this reason may be pertinent for the periods of time where the climate is not scheduled.

Thanks for this great component! :slight_smile:

I cannot find the way how to configure settings of concrete schedule in YAML. I need more complex time scheme and I would be easier to add other time slots in YAML by copying and modifying existing ones. I found only configuration of Lovelace card (included entities, time step etc.).

May I ask for a hint?

Hi.
How can I incrase time after sunset/sunrise for more then 2h? Change data in some file?

Hi ā€“

Great idea with this scheduler. I am looking for something that could turn off TVā€™s frequently left on after hours. Can I specify a window to have the TVā€™s turned of using this if left on. Thanks.

@neliss, just came here to tell you that this 2.4.0 BIG change is freaking awesome! Congratulations! This is how time automations should have been implemented in the first place. Check it out @balloob

2 Likes

Hi,

i really like this component but i am looking for a solution to my problem:

For automation scripts of the heating I need the info if the temperature was set by the scheduler or manually via other controls.
Background is that I send an action notification to my cell phone what should happen during my absence. With a temperature set by the scheduler, this should proceed a little differently (only a message when I am away for a certain time)ā€¦

Is there a way to identify that the scheduler switched my climate entity to my comfort temperature state?

Hello,

maybe I just did not search properly but I was not able to find how to (if itā€™s possible) change temperature from specific value to input_number?

I would like to be able to change both night temperature by editing just one variable (I think it would be easier for user - wife).

Awesome work, I have been using it for a couple of days now. I was looking for a scheduler where I could put a single schedule for e.g. a particular thermostat, but then potentially different for each day of the week. Simplest case we could have a different schedule for weekdays and for weekends to drive the thermostat. This is what most typical schedulers let you do (e.g. Honeywell Evohome scheduler app, Tado smart thermostat app, etc.). Now, it looks that is not possible with this component or am I missing something? It looks like for the simple weekdays/weekend example I would need to create 2 schedules? The reason I am asking is that I use geofencing to override the schedule to have the thermostat turn down low when I am leaving the house and have it return back to schedule when I get back home. Very easy but I donā€™t want to test if it is a weekday or if it is weekend to return to the right schedule again when I get back home. I just want to say very simply ā€œreturn to scheduleā€ā€¦
Again, am I missing something here (I did try to go through this thread but it is hard to find this in 1812 messages). Thanks!

@mahikeulbody

Please share your concerns in the github issue. I was not aware this change would have negative impact for anyone.

@lubos

The schedules are not stored in YAML so you will not be able to modify them as such.
For a more complex schedule you may use the scheduler.add / edit / copy services, but be aware that the card may not be able to handle a schedule which has different action per slot.

@kris86k

This is currently fixed in the code of the card, not configurable.

@Briandr73

If the TV is connected to HA (for example as media_player entity) and you know which service to call to turn it off, it can also be done by scheduler. Just make sure to include the entity in the card configuration and it should show up with the available actions.

@speedone

You could create an automation which is triggered by the state of a specific schedule switch entity going to triggered state (this happens for 1 minute when entering the timeslot). I donā€™t think you will see from the climate entity who changed it.

@michalgans

The scheduler does not support this (only fixed numbers).
As workaround you could have scheduler execute a script with a some parameter that is selectable via the card (e.g. setting_1, setting_2, setting_3).
In the script you would have to create the logic for switching your climate device to the right setpoint corresponding value of the input_number entity based on the provided setting parameter.

@menloperk

Youā€™re not missing something.
The card is created such that the times+actions are fixed for a schedule, and you can choose for which days (and/or dates) to execute them.
So if you need different schedules for the weekend vs weekdays (or specific days), you would need to create separate schedules for this.
As long as you ensure they donā€™t overlap in days, it should work fine.
I understand that it could become messy if you have a lot of schedules in a card, you might want to consider splitting into multiple cards in this case. There is the possibility to ā€˜tagā€™ schedules such that they are linked to specific cards and wonā€™t show up in each of them.

@neliss Thanks for response and your advice how to solve this.

@neliss thanks for your prompt reply! And very clear and unfortunate it is not supported but will use the workaround then (I can live with having 2 schedules for weekdays / weekend per device).Would it be something you would consider to build into the Scheduler component in the future?

Thanks for the reply !

In fact, I have no problem with the new behavior, I think it answers to a real need. I would just express that this new behavior implies to no use an existing attribute of climate (target temp). However, in case of the climate is not into a scheduled period, this attribute would relevant if HA restart. But since I donā€™t see a solution to satisfy both situations, I prefer the current behavior.

I am stuck as it seems I canā€™t create a 2nd schedule for the same entity?? I have renamed my existing schedule as ā€˜Airco Schedule MFā€™ (for Monday-Friday) and added a tag MF. Now I want to create a 2nd schedule for the same airco entity but for SS (Saturday-Sunday) but I am unable to? Please adviseā€¦

There is nothing in the card limiting you from creating multiple schedules per entity. So I have no idea what you are troubling with.

Ok, thanks, good to hear, then itā€™s my lack of knowledge being rather new to this component. I will try further. Thanks.