Schlage zwave lock constantly goes dead state

I got fed up trying to fix the issue, when my schlage zwave lock constantly goes to dead state.

My setup

1. 2 locks
  2. Supervisor Home assistant running in raspberry pi
  3. Zwave usb stick controller.
  4. zwave integration in Home assistant

1st lock is 5 feet away
2nd lock is 10 feet away

As I added the node, everything is working for some time. Soon later say a couple of hours, the 2nd lock which is 10 feet away is marked dead.

What I tried

1. power cycle, with removing battery for some time and reconnecting.
  2. Installing brand new batteries.

Interestingly the 1st lock which is 5 feet away is not going to dead state as frequent as the 2nd one.
Both the locks are working perfectly fine.

My next attempt is to follow Home Assistant Community Add-on: Z-Wave to MQTT, but not sure if this will fix the issue for good.

Anyone else faced similar issue, any pointer on what can we do here.

How long has this problem been persisting for? I’ve noticed some oddities since they depreciated the old integrated Z-wave integration(1.4.) Perhaps this is tied to the issues you are having. I wouldn’t necessarily recommed jumping to Z-Wave to MQTT. I would lean towards Z-Wave JS as it is going to be the recommended way to run Zwave in home assistant going into the future(it’s not feature complete quite yet though.)

This is happening since deprecating. Atleast earlier it used to come back as I power cycle the devices. But from last few days, even power recycling is not helping.

I can attempt Zwave JS before jumping to zwave to MQTT

I know HA recommends going to openZwave(the new one) if you have issues, but I really don’t know which path would be better. Sadly I don’t think they’ve done much good when it comes to taking care of users on the old zwave platform by depreciating it. I’ve had issues and am trying my best to wait it out until Zwave JS is ready. I honestly think were just stuck.

Is it a Zwave or Zwave plus? The plain zwave be469 were notorious for having their Zwave chips have network issues. Schlage has great support I would explain to them the battery keeps dying and also keep being marked as dead repeatedly. They replaced both of my BE469s awhile back.
Also just confirm that when locking or unlocking its not using the high-load turn (you can check in your parameters, it is called high-load transition count. And are you using plain alkaline batteries?

I not sure if it is zwave or zwave plus. It’s a be469nx device. I got it from the previous owner so not sure if schlage will be ready to replace.

I tried migrating to zwave js. Again the near one worked perfectly fine without any issue, but the other is now always marked dead.

In the long, I see zwave server is timing out waiting for response from the device even when I tried to add it.

Could this be a range issue? My zwave lock (not schlage) would occasionally report as dead at about 25 foot range, I switched to a longer USB extension cable (5 foot -> 10 foot) which moved the USB stick about 5 foot closer to the lock and it stopped doing that.

Me too thinking the same (range issue). Interestingly atleast earlier the lock was connect and then got to dead state. Recent time the lock is not responding to initial connection probe.