SCREEK Home Assistant 24Ghz FMCW WiFi Human Presence Detector Radar 1U

What we’ve done is really just put some processors and modules together and it’s a DIY sensor. In our spare time we tried to finish it.
But the fp1 is a very commercial product, so I think that these documentation issues might slowly be an area that can be improved, but also for us, we can’t have that much energy to finish it quickly. Just have to see what can be done in the spirit of a hobby.

All we can do is just make things a little bit easier, but it still can’t be a very easy thing to do. ld2410 has excellent responsiveness and flexible settings, which is one of the reasons why it’s inexpensive. It omits complex human judgment algorithms and instead just detects changes in energy. This makes it very much like an alternative alternative to the pir.
But familiarizing yourself with it or fully mastering it takes some special effort.

hilink seems to be aware of these problems, and in some of the newer products like the ld1125h they are starting to use a flexible human breath accumulation algorithm to determine if the target is human. In the ld2450, a radar, we can also see hints of complex algorithms.

We may not be able to fulfill too high expectations, the whole thing is that we made a DIY radar and then it was shared to some around the world, with the convenience of suppliers in China, we tried some interesting combinations. But we don’t have that much resources and energy to perfect a very complete documentation of the whole introduction of ld2410. It had to be a project that a lot of people worked together to accomplish.

The efforts made by athua and FriedCheese are admirable, and their understanding of the ld2410 has reached a very high level. And are like its evangelists.

Anyway, happy DIYing, it’s a path with exploration and putting in time if you want to fully familiarize yourself with this ld2410 sensor.

Looking at the hilink app, you can also see some of the recent efforts, including features such as analyzing ambient noise, that have been integrated in, in a sense all part of the effort to simplify where this thing is.

I have some of these 1W versions with firmware 2023.3.2 (Apr 15 2023, 13:56:16).
Downloaded the later version of firmwate and tried the OTA. But that only results in an error saying: Update Failed: Could Not Activate The Firmware.

Wat can I do to update them?

Thanks for answering. But please note the following:

1. I did not compare with the FP1, but the EP1 which is definitely a DIY project.
  2. When I made my decision to purchase your sensor, I was unaware that this was a hobby product.

My understanding is still that you are in the process of selling as much as possible in order to make money and grow big, right? Then documentation is key success factor. Customers must be able to make the unit work properly.
I still need detailed guidance as to how the sensor can be tuned to properly detect a person sitting still. If this is not possible, then I might just as well use a cheap PIR sensor.

The higher cost of the EP1 would most likely be the mmWave sensor it is using. The DFRobot 24Ghz mmWave sensor is more powerful with a 9m range compared to 6m for the LD2410 but it costs almost $30 USD compared to the LD2410 which is about $3 USD.
I have a couple of LD2410 units that I put together myself paired with a Wemos D1 mini ESP32 and have been using the ESPHome LD2410 component from the Dev channel which allows the configuration of the gates and other settings to be done directly from HA. This update to the ESPHome component was just released today as part of ESPHome 2023.8.0
I also have a SCREEK 1U and 2A units which I am testing in comparison to the ones I put together myself.

If you are up for some reading, there is another thread that has heaps of tips on setting up the LD2410. Here is my explanation of how to tune the moving and static target setting in the HLKRadar app that I had posted there.

Hi, 1W and 1U use different firmware and there is currently no firmware update for 1W.
People seem to be excited about the new esphome components that are coming out, and we’re considering pushing out a beta in the near future to be able to experience these new modules.

Due to energy and time and the fact that we do this mostly for fun, but international business is extremely risky, we can’t recover the sensors, and there are all kinds of problems. For example even the time difference is an issue. We just wanted to make a series of interesting things, most of which probably won’t sell, and in fact we won’t pretty much make them until someone needs them. I’ve never thought very hard about the whole making a lot of money thing. But the documentation you mentioned, we’ll try to refine some of that sometime.
Regarding making more money, it’s contradictory, we have limited time, 1U might profit $6 to $8 in the best case scenario, but a single damage is a $20+ payout.
Even this email was only able to be answered in a hurry on a walk with the kids.

So I’m afraid as far as current resources go. Our interest is in exploring more interesting things, talking to people about their research and then sharing them.

1 Like

I’m sorry I often think of the EP1 as the EP1, the FP1 is a great sensor, separate board design with top notch components selected, except it sells for a bit more, the radar it selects comes with smarter algorithms as athua said, it doesn’t have as many problems with parameter tuning.

Using the ld2410 takes some different experimentation, it’s kind of like a car with a manual transmission.
But I think athua and Ryan and others share great experiences and express very

Thanks @athua - How come the link to the Android App HLK App Tool says Version 1.1.22 (build 24) while the one I have installed on my phone says V 1.1.28 ?
Did I unconsciously manage to install a version that has later been pulled?

Not sure about that one as the HLKRadar app I have installed is V1.1.22

Reading between the lines, the website hosted version was before they were able to get the app added to the Apple/Google app stores.

Aha, so what you are saying is that versions available on the App stores are the latest and most up-to-date?

That is correct.

Perhaps it’s possible to encourage someone to put a note on that web page (and links?) so that people are made aware?

Hilink didn’t hit the play store early on and only provided a link to an apk download (that wasn’t actually the official site, just a place where apk downloads could be made available, which wasn’t even very secure), we had the pleasure of relaying some user suggestions to hilink, and luckily there was finally a play store version available.
I think you should use the play store version and we should keep this up to date.
pgyer’s site should not be continued, that was just a temporary strategy.

This is such an important discovery that we updated it on our FAQ page to make a note:
HLKRadarTool APP FAQ (screek.io)

We’ll give your feedback to the hilink developers, which will probably help a lot of people.

1 Like

Just wanted to drop a note about the HLKRADAR app. I think one missed feature is the noise detection.

After connecting to the sensor, go into the parameter settings. Select the option for background noise detection.

Set the delay. This is to give you time to exit the room if needed. Set the detection time to however long you want to check readings for. This can be an extended period if needed for picking up things like a fan being turned on, HVAC running, etc. Click start.

When the timer finishes, the chart will provide baseline settings for your gates to include min, max, and average detections. This is a fantastic way to baseline an area before fine tuning the detection settings.

2 Likes

Hi Ryan, that’s cool.
Debugging those parameters is often frustrating.
This is a really great find, I keep finding these new features but haven’t tried them myself.
I’m signing it Ryan and putting it inside the documentation for series 1 as a TIPS for everyone to refer to.

In the same time we shared it in our support community to see what people could find out from it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/screekworkshop/comments/1648737/human_sensor_gen1_also_applies_to_ld2410b_ld2410c/

1 Like

Where are the STL files? I see only the yaml files on Github. Also, I am tweaking the yaml file for my own purposes, but would like to have the factory bin to install if I screw up. I did see the old above (thanks!).