SCREEK Home Assistant 24Ghz FMCW WiFi Human Presence Detector Radar 1U

Radars have some high heat output, so they’re going to be a little warm anyway.
Temperature isn’t the only factor causing the problem, this S2 mini is used from a different vendor, and when they were manufactured, the most recent batch seems to have swapped out some key components (including crystals, LDOs), which leads to the possibility of a reboot when high power WIFI is coupled with high temperatures, and too many reboots in a row triggers the epshome’s safemode mechanism, which also causes the won’t budge.

The new firmware also optimizes the wifi’s strategy to return it to its default mild power saving. Since the previous us firmware we regulated it at full power.

We have sent you the stl file, please check it.
I don’t know why, but forum messages often don’t get pushed through by email, so please understand that there’s no way to get back to you in time.

I went the DIY route and ended up designing an alternate case with plenty of ventilation. Seems to be working well for me.

Hi, here’s my experience so far - only 2 hours after applying power to my new SCREEK for the first time (and I’m very excited - and somewhat confused):

Immediately after power on, I noticed a blue led inside the case that flashed - so, logically I assumed it to be Bluetooth - and sure enough, my BLE Proxy immediately picked up the LD2410 BLE device and it automatically showed up in Home Assistant. After the default configuration (which is nothing more than to accept the Integration and assign a room to the device), this is what I got:

And when expanded, the entities list looked like this:

Plus a list of 20 Diagnostic entities not shown.

But I could not find anywhere any reference to connection using Bluetooth, so I continued to see If I could get the WiFi running. At first, the SCREEK-HUMAN-SENSOR Wi-Fi SSD didn’t show up on my mobile phone, but after 15 minutes it suddenly did, and I could successfully connect it to my Home WLAN:

However, I do not know how to perform OTA Update as I have no idea where to find the right file. But maybe I will later. So, I went back into Home Assistant, and viola - a new instance of the SCREEK device had automatically been detected by my ESPHome Server and was waiting to be explored in Home Assistant. Again, no complicated configurations, just accept and pick a room. But the resulting list of entities was very different from the BLE Instance:

So, what now?
Which one of these two devices should I use?
How do I calibrate it?
How do I OTA Update it if needed?

(Only qualified answers, please - no guesswork, if you don’t know exactly how)

The OTA updates are done from the web UI of the sensor. Just hit the WiFi up address in a browser and you’ll see the OTA section.

The OTA file can be found here:
https://www.screek.io/1u/firmware/ota/

I would use the ESP sensor vice Bluetooth since that’s the setup SCREEK is supporting.

You can grab the HLKRadar tool on a mobile device to calibrate. I believe it’s available in the app store for iOS and can be downloaded from the Play Store for Android.

The blue LED is for the WiFi connection for the ESP board. Flashing means it’s disconnected.

Hi, Just received 2. Is there a step by step guide to get them connected to HA? I am completely new with ESP Home.

You bought them from SCREEK?

https://www.screek.io/1u/getting-start/#configuring-by-a-smart-phone

2 Likes

Updating via OTA didn’t work. It goes offline when I hit the update button, and WiFi connection is lost, but it never comes back online again unless I power-cycle it. Then the FW version is unchanged. BLE seems to work all the time.

And you’re using the .bin file, correct?

Yes, the filename is : ota-screek-humen-sensor-1u-20230704_1.bin
File size: 907Kb

Are you possibly already on that firmware?

No, I’m on Firmware: 2023.5.1 (Jun 20 2023, 22:14:44)

I’m outta ideas then.

Maybe @screek-workshop could help.

Thank you for trying at least :+1:
I could see from the console output the the update was initiating, and it got as far as 7.7% before contact was lost.

Well, I’m wondering if having both BLE and WiFi setup are causing your issue.

It makes sense that the BLE would stay up since that’s connecting directly to the sensor. WiFi is routed through the ESP board (which is really what the firmware is updating).

I had the same thought, so I disabled BLE, but that made no difference.
by the way, what do you mean by “ESP Board” ?

The SCREEK setup is an ESP32 S2 Mini board with the LD2410C sensor attached to it.

ok, you mean the ESP board inside the SCREEK…

1 Like

I had a similar problem when trying to update from Safari browser from my Mac, using Chrome it worked fine. In case that helps.

1 Like

Another thing I noticed when updating. The firmware version under device info did not change, but the firmware version listed on the update sensor under configuration did.

We apologize for not receiving timely pushes on our messages in the forums.

@Viking
Due to some known issues. Please try moving the sensor closer to the router before updating.

we added some new faq in doc site: https://docs.screek.io/human-sensor-1-series