💡 Sensor Light - Motion Sensor - Door Sensor - Sun Elevation - LUX Value - Scenes - Time - Light Control - Device Tracker - Night Lights

@Scott_NL
Hi Scott, thanks for your question, providing your YAML and welcome to the community.

We are on Home Assistant 2023.4.2. We have done a lot of testing with this update and it is all working perfectly here.

The blueprint must pass through the time delay before it will turn off your lights, so I would expect that something else could be the problem.

All your settings look ok. I have noticed you are using area’s so maybe your turning on something else that is turning off your lights. Maybe try and expand your area down to entities (from orange to green colour) you would like to control by clicking on the expand “<>” of your area (see below).

Another thing you could do is, trigger the automation and straight after this happens have a look at your traces. You can find it in the top right next to the 3 dots in your automation called “Traces”. Follow the orange line, it shouldn’t be at the end as you have a 5 min or 2.5 min delay.

Once you confirm your traces, and know the automation is not turning off the lights maybe check your other automations or have a look at your logbook.

1 Like

Just setup most of my lighting automations using this blueprint. What a time saver. I’m coming from Hubitat and having to learn some of the ways to do things in Home Assistant can really eat up the time. This blueprint let me point and click my way to success. Thank you Blacky
Where’s the donate link?

1 Like

Thanks for the welcome and your detailed answer. :smiley:

Apparently I put the hallway spots in a group and added it to the same area, so removing the group did the trick.

Thanks again and awesome timesaver for me. :+1:

1 Like

What a great blueprint. I use it for my setup as well. The only issue I have is the unwanted light turn off action when no motion is detected (for example on the toilet and your sitting still). Will there be a presence detection logic in the future that combines a door and motion sensor?

Hi @geox19

No problem at all glad you like it :+1: Nice to get this type of feedback :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I haven’t go one
 Maybe I should set one up for people to say thanks
 will let you know if I set one up.Thanks for your offer and your kind words. :+1:

1 Like

Hi @dkarijopawiro , firstly welcome to the community.

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Could you explain how you think it should work? I will help me understand :thinking:.

Currently if you are using contact sensor (a door) and motion sensor I would recommend that you put them into a group for this to work correctly. It is in our FAQ, and here is the link on how to set one up. The only thing is if you close the door then the light will come on and I not sure if this is what your after.

If you have a fan in the toilet then maybe consider using my other blueprint called :toilet: Toilet Exhaust Fan with time delay

Hey,

Loving this blueprint. But it is always turning on my lights, even if the sensor is higher then the set Ambient Light LUX Value. any idea?

Thanks so much for you blueprint! It saved me alot of time especially as a HA beginner. Not sure if this has been discussed already but im looking for a solution for our staircase. The goal is that for example if the sun goes down OR a specific lux value a light group should go on at 20%. With detected motion the lights should go to 100% and back again to 20% after few minutes without motion detected. As soon as the sun goes up or again specific lux value the lights should turn off.
Any hints?

BR
André

First of all, I’m amazed just how much effort you have put into this @Blacky - not just providing the comprehensive Blueprint, but with all your helpful detailed responses to all the questions. A massive asset to this community! :+1:

I’ve been toying with the idea of using this Blueprint for a while now, as I only have one issue with my current automation that I put together a while back - and I think it’s the same issue/question as @dkarijopawiro mentioned a couple of posts above.

Currently I have a Hue bulb that is triggered by a Hue motion sensor, providing that the lux measurement from the motion sensor is below a certain threshold. Once there has been no movement detected by the motion sensor for 2 minutes, the light turns back off.
I also have a ‘manual override’ button on the wall in place of the original dumb light switch. This allows you to turn the light on or off as you see fit. If the light hasn’t come on by motion trigger, due to the lux value being too high for example, but you actually want the light to be on, you can click the wall button (Aqara smart button) and this turns the light on. The light will remain on until there has been no motion detected for 2 minutes, and then the original automation turns the light back off again.

Similarly, if the motion triggers the light on, but you don’t want it to be on for some reason, you can click the button and it will turn off - and it will stay off until there has been no motion detected for 2 minutes.

All works well, except if you are static for longer than 2 minutes, in which case if the light was motion triggered on originally, the light then turns off and leaves you in the dark - until you wave your hands around! Likewise if the light was motion triggered on, but you turned it off form the smart button, and again, are static for more than 2 minutes, then as soon as motion is detected, the light turns on.

To cure this, I am thinking of fitting a door sensor as a secondary condition. This would use the ‘Wasp in the box’ principal, so that if the door is opened, and then closed, the motion sensor only has to detect initial motion in order for the light to be turned on, AND STAY ON. If the door is closed and it has detected motion at least once, then you must still be in the room, and so there is no need for the regular 2 minute (in my case) cooldown to then turn the light off.

I did think about just using the ‘Occupancy Blueprint’ provided here:

Occupancy Blueprint

however I don’t know if my ‘Manual Override’ smart button would be a problem in that setup. If your Blueprint can incorporate this occupancy detection via an additional door sensor, that would be great - and I believe what @dkarijopawiro was asking also :slight_smile:

1 Like

@MrNickert

Hi Nick,

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts: thanks

We have tested it here again and it working.

The Ambient Light LUX Value works below your setting. If your setting is 20 then when your actual sensor reading is 19 it will allow your light to be turn on when triggered. Without seeing your YAML settings the only think I could think of is maybe you haven’t selected “Enable the ambient options”. See below

Let us know how you go.

@Andre3000

Hi André

Your welcome.

No haven’t had this one yet.

Currently you can’t do what your asking in just this one blueprint, but there is a work around.

This is how you would do it. In this blueprint (sensor Light) create a scene with 100% lights and put it into “Lights - Switches - Scenes”, then create another scene with 20% lights an put it in “Scenes To Turn OFF”. Now set your option, sun goes down OR a specific lux value.

Now you will need to get another one of my blueprints called :gear: Turn Light, Switch or Scene On & Off with Trigger Conditions. This will turn it on and off on a trigger condition when the sun goes down OR a specific lux value. Once you got the other blueprint enter your scene of 20% in “Lights - Switches - Entities - Scenes” then create another scene that turns everything off and enter it in “Scenes To Turn OFF”. Now set your option, sun goes down OR a specific lux value.

The 2 blueprints will work together and give you what your asking :tada:

Hope this helps

Edit: Let us know how you go.

Blacky :smiley:

2 Likes

@Scoff

Hi, Scott

Thanks for your kind words :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Thanks for the clear detailed example. Very interesting
 you got me thinking now :thinking:. I like the idea :+1: . I will put this on the list. If I did this I would like it to be a 2 click item
 maybe 3 and very easy to understand.

Thanks again!

Blacky :smiley:

Hi Scoff and Blacky,

This is exactly what I meant.
@Scoff, for now i’m using the blueprint from @Blacky and the Occupancy blueprint for the bathroom and toilet.
It works great, would love to see this feature in this blueprint.

1 Like

Hello,

first of all that blueprint is awesome!

But i have one scenario and stuggeling a bit

I have bulb that is used as an evening light (lower brightness) and is off during the night.
My idea is as soon my motion sensor detect someone the brightness should go up or on and after a period of time back to the state before (lower brightness or off). Any ideas how to archive that?

1 Like

That option would be pretty Awesome

You’re a hero! It’s working as described. Thank you so much for your time. Where is the donate button?

I will use your automation also for my outdoor lights.

Use case:

Sun goes down or LUX lower X → Turn light on at 20%

If motion detected (coming home or guests) → set brightness to 100%

After 2 minutes of no motion → set lights back to 20%

If sun goes up or above X Lux → turn light off

—

This is now easy doable due to your both automations mentioned in your reply :heart::heart:

3 Likes

I keep getting a warning in my log but the automation runs fine. I can’t figure out what I’m setting wrong.

The Light switch is a dimmer does that make a difference ? Maybe I should setup a scene instead? I have night light setup also with the same dimmer. But I get this warning for every automation I use with this blueprint but they all run fine. maybe Use Entity instead of device? version 3.0
Screenshot 2023-04-13 at 10.58.54 PM
Maybe I need both Entity and Device

this was indeed on disabled. Thanks.

1 Like

Hi @Mar1us

I think I am following you but not 100%

I think this is what we call “Night Lights”

I think this is “night Lights” It will turn it on and off.

Hi @geox19

Try and expand your devices and use entities. It is always better if you can use entities. I find having “area” and “devices” is a quick way to find your entities.

The expand button is here

1 Like