Like this blueprint? Consider hitting the button below
The most common automation used for a sensor light
Need help? See our FAQ: Click Here
The Automation Process:
- In this example we will use a motion sensor as the trigger, but you can use one or multiple Binary Sensors and or a schedule as the trigger/s.
- Triggers on a motion sensor and turns the lights ON.
- When no motion is detected, a time delay is activated and turns the lights OFF Automatically.
- The lights will stay ON if the motion sensor detects motion before the time delay turns the lights OFF. It will then reset the time delay after last motion is detected.
- You have the option to select scenes. This allows you to turn ON a scene when motion is detected and turn OFF a scene when the time delay has ended.
- You have the option to use the “Light Control”. This allows you to set a brightness level, colour temperature in kelvin and a transition time for your lights.
- You have the option to use the “Dynamic Lighting”. It will dynamically adjust the brightness % to a floating lux value. When it gets darker your brightness will increase and as it gets lighter your brightness will decrease.
- You have the option to use the “Trigger Sensor By-pass”. This allows you to add a switch to manually By-pass the trigger sensor so you can use the lights as normal by turning them ON and OFF manually.
- You have the option to use the “Sun Elevation”. This is used for adding a condition to only work when it is dark by setting the suns position to the horizon.
- You have the option to set an Ambient Light Sensor and set the LUX value. This is used for adding a condition to only work when it is dark or below the Ambient Light LUX Value.
- You have the option to set a start time, an end time and select weekdays. This will only allow the automation to run between the time periods.
- You have the option to use the “Device Tracker”. This can be useful if you have pets triggering the trigger sensor turning your lights ON and OFF when no one is home.
- You have the option to use “Night Lights”. It can be used for having lower softer lights come ON when going to the bathroom at night or having different lights come ON with an entity state, time or sun elevation.
- Safe guard built in for HA restart.
- Version: 5.1 - 2 Dec-23 - Added a night light control option. Fixed bugs for end condition to sun, lux and time.
- Version: 5.0 - 1 Nov-23 - Added sun rising and falling elevation settings. Cleaned up some code for end condition to sun, lux and time.
- Version: 4.9 - 21 Oct-23 - Added Dynamic Lighting Option. Added high and low lux settings to Ambient Options.
- Version: 4.8 - 7 Oct-23 - Fixed bugs in By-pass.
- Version: 4.7 - 6 Sep-23 - Now multiple By-passes with multiple actions. Update deprecated code. Fixed bug in HA restart.
- Version: 4.6 - 20 Aug-23 - Fixed bugs in HA restart, Fixed a bug in transition & fixed error log.
- Version: 4.5 - 20 Aug-23 - Now can add multiple By-passes.
- Version: 4.4 - 6 Aug-23 - Fixed a bug in transition crossover lights.
- Version: 4.3 - 6 Aug-23 - Added condition “Entity State” for night light. Fixed a bug in transition.
- Version: 4.2 - 9 July-23 - Fixed a bug in HA restart.
- Version: 4.1 - 8 July-23 - Added sun elevation to night lights. Fixed bugs.
- Version: 4.0 - 2 July-23 - Fixed 2 bugs in HA restart.
- Version: 3.9 - 2 July-23 - Added a By-pass auto OFF option.
- Version: 3.8 - 21 June-23 - Added people to device tracker.
- Version: 3.7 - 16 June-23 - Added a new option to the by-pass - Turn Lights ON.
- Version: 3.6 - 8 June-23 - Added the ability to use a schedule helper. Sun, ambient & time will now turn the lights OFF + Bug fixes.
- Version: 3.5 - 5 May-23 - Manual control of lights once they are ON.
- Version: 3.4 - 4 May-23 - Colour Temperature has been added to Light Control.
- Version: 3.3 - 21 April-23 - Fixed bug in night light transition time.
- Version: 3.2 - 20 April-23 - Remove selection of areas & devices. Fixed bugs.
- Version: 3.1 - 15 April-23 - Transitions will now work with scenes. Fixed a bug.
- Version: 3.0 - 11 April-23 - Trigger can now be an ON/OFF pulse in milliseconds. Fixed bugs.
- Version: 2.9 - 10 April-23 - Added Transition, Safe Guard & more. Fixed bugs.
- Version: 2.8 - 19 Feb-23 - Fixed bug in the by-pass. Added By-pass Time Delay.
- Version: 2.7 - 18 Feb-23 - When the by-pass is turned OFF, trigger is re-evaluated.
- Version: 2.6 - 5 Feb-23 - Added a new option to the by-pass.
- Version: 2.5 - 25 Jan-23 - Cleaned up by-pass selection.
- Version: 2.4 - 16 Jan-23 - Added weekday selection.
- Version: 2.3 - 15 Jan-23 - Removed wording description for clearing 2 entities selections.
- Version: 2.2 - 6 Jan-23 - Fixed bug in night lights flickering on trigger.
- Version: 2.1 - 5 Jan-23 - Added brightness control, Zone - Device Tracker & Night Lights options.
- Version: 2.0 - 15 Dec-22 - Upgrade option for the LUX sensor.
- Version: 1.9 - 29 Nov-22 - Bug fix when using multiple entities in “Trigger Sensor - Binary Sensors”
- Version: 1.8 - 20 Nov-22 - More user friendly selection for enabling and disabling options and Bug Fix
- Version: 1.7 - 15 Nov-22 - You can add any Binary Sensors you like as the trigger.
- Version: 1.6 - 14 Nov-22 - You can add scenes.
- Version: 1.5 - 9 Nov-22 - You can add a start time and an end time (Optional).
- Version: 1.4 - 5 Nov-22 - You can add as many motion sensors as you like.
- Version: 1.3 - 3 Nov-22 - Ambient Light Sensor and set the LUX value (Optional).
- Version: 1.2 - 2 Nov-22 - Motion Sensor By-pass (Optional).
- Version: 1.1 - 28 Oct-22 - Initial release
MY OTHER BLUEPRINTS
Sensor Light Add On - Media & Movie Lights - House Alarm Lights - Smoke Alarm Lights & Exhaust Fans + More
Bathroom Humidity Exhaust Fan
Appliance Notifications & Actions - Washing Machine - Clothes Dryer - Dish Washer - ETC
Calendar Notifications & Actions
State Notifications & Actions
Toilet Exhaust Fan with time delay
Entity - Run ON Timer
Trigger - Run ON Timer
Turn Light, Switch or Scene On & Off with Trigger Conditions
Temperature Control Exhaust Fan
Temperature Control Exhaust Fan - Inverted
Toggle Switch - Turn ON & OFF Entities
Press Button - Turn ON & OFF Entities
Switch - Turn ON & OFF Entities
Like this blueprint? Consider hitting the button below