šŸ’” Sensor Light - Motion Sensor - Door Sensor - Sun Elevation - LUX Value - Scenes - Time - Light Control - Device Tracker - Night Lights

Hi, any chance you could add a by-pass/test for deferring the switch-off event rather than just by-passing the main execution? My use case is having the light persistently switch on while Iā€™m working from home. I have a magic button I click to set a WFH toggle sensor to ā€˜onā€™ with a 6 hr delay before it sets the WFH toggle back to off. It also does some other things to do with heating in the room.

In some scenarios I will manually turn off the light out of habit when I go down for lunch, but using your blueprint, the toggle sensor will by-pass/block the reactivation of the light in all scenarios including when the motion sensor detects me coming back into the room within the 6 hrs. I donā€™t want to reset the 6 hrs on that event, just trigger the light turning back on and blocking/deferring it turning off (even if Iā€™m sitting really still).

Thereā€™s probably already a way to do this, but it would be neat if embedded within your blueprint.

A reliable occupancy sensor would do the trick also!

-M.

Would it be possible to add a Color Temperature selector? This would make the blueprint perfect and complete for me. Thanks a lot for sharing!

1 Like

Try creating a scene with your colour temp and adding that scene. Make sure you create another identical scene with the lights OFF and put it in the scenes OFF.

Hi @mjsblume It is probably just me but I am not full understanding what is happening but I will try to answer your post.

1. you have a magic button that you switch ON and then a time delay of 6 hours starts before it turns itself OFF.
  • If that magic button is also set in the blueprint it should disable any triggers you have and your lights should work as normal. If you go to lunch and you would like the light OFF you will have to turn it OFF manually. When you get back you will have to turn it back on manually. It will work like this until the magic button 6 hour time delay goes to OFF. If the light is turned ON and then the time delay goes to OFF the light will stay ON until a trigger happens and the blueprint automation runs.
  • If them magic button is not connected to the by-pass in the blueprint then it should work as normal. The light may turn ON and OFF if you sit still but that is a motion sensor.
  • If the magic button disables the motion sensor some howā€¦thenā€¦ not sure what is going on.

If the magic button is connected to the by-pass option in the blueprint and it is ON then this is how it should work. You will have to turn the light on manually.

I think you just need to manually turn the light back ON. If you donā€™t want to do that then a presence detectors is the go. I havenā€™t got mine yet as it all sold out but I will be getting one if he makes more.

This is the best documented Blueprint Iā€™ve ever seen in this community.
Well done!!

And thanks for sharing!

5 Likes

Now you can add any Binary Sensors you like as the trigger, sometimes the blueprint will not function correctly when you have more than one motion sensor or binary sensor selected.

With the new presence sensors and even contact/door sensors you could have a scenario that the light will turn OFF and stay OFF even though the presence sensor has a ON state.

Sometimes you are just having problems with 2 or more motion sensor or binary sensor selected and it is just driving you crazy.

If you follow these steps you just may resolve your problems.

ADD A GROUP HELPER

1. Go to Settings / Devices & Services / click on the ā€œHelpersā€ tab / click ā€œ+ CREATE HELPERā€ and select ā€œGroupā€.

1. Select Binary sensor group.

1. Then enter a name, in this example we put ā€œSensor Light - Front Door - Groupā€. Then select your ā€œMembersā€ or entities (all of them that will be in the blueprint automation). Keep ā€œHide Membersā€ and ā€œAll Entitiesā€ toggles OFF as shown below.

1. Then go back into the automation and in the ā€œTrigger Sensor - Binary Sensors" selection search for the name (Group) you just created in this case ā€œSensor Light - Front Door - Groupā€ and select it. Now only have one item selected here. If you would like to add more or remove some entities you will have to go back into the helper and edit it (see below)

1. Now just go through the blueprint and click save. Hopefully you should have resolved your problems.

EDIT HELPER
If you need to edit the Helper. Go back to Settings / Devices & Services / click on the ā€œHelpersā€ tab / click the helper you would like to edit, in this case ā€œSensor Light - Front Door - Groupā€. Click on the cogged wheel.

Then select ā€œGroup Optionsā€

You will then see your entities. Edit as required.

If you would like to know more about groups and why we use them then please Click Here.

Enjoy

Blacky :grinning:

Back to FAQ: Click Here

Back to ā€œThe Settings & Best Practice Guidelinesā€ Click Here

3 Likes

Hi Edward, thanks for your kind words. It is nice to get feedback when people like it. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Back to top: Click Here

3 Likes

FAQ - How do you update the blueprint from version 1.4 - 1.7 to version 1.8 and above?

New update 1.8

Before upgrading from Version 1.7 and below please see below upgrade options. If you are installing from new then you donā€™t need to do anything just install the blueprint.

• More user friendly selection for enabling and disabling options.
  • Bug fix. Fixed a issue where light would not turn ON when option was made. Example: Using the new presence sensors, door sensor, contact sensor that hold their state to ON for long periods and one of the options being sun, LUX or time would pass through its condition and the light would remain OFF until you walk out of the room and entered again resetting the sensor or you would have to close the door and open it again because the trigger is in the ON state. Anyway it is fixed and is worth the upgrade.

UPGRADE OPTIONS

1. Delete the automation, upgrade and set up again.
    or
  2. Follow the steps below.

Go into your automation and click on the three dots. Select ā€œEdit in YAMLā€

Check you ā€œambient_light_sensorā€ to see if the option is set to ā€œnoneā€. If you have a sensor here you can upgrade no need to read further. If you have ā€œnoneā€ then we need to change it.

Replace the ā€œnoneā€ with ā€œ[ ]ā€ code below.

ambient_light_sensor: []

Click save. Now you ready to upgrade.

Enjoy

FAQ - Sun Option & Sun Elevation

Why did you use it and how can I set it?

I thought about ā€œSunsetā€ and ā€œSunriseā€ but HA recommend to use sun elevation as it works better throughout the year. So I took their advice and used the sun elevation.

It is really easy to set up. I would recommend checking your sun elevation degrees and adjusting it to your requirements. Every site is different. An easy way to choose your setting is to find or add the sun to your dashboard. When you click on it, a pop-up window will appear.

Then, one night, simply observe the sunset and note the elevation. Decide on the elevation youā€™d like to set so that when the trigger activates and the sun is below your specified point (elevation degrees), the lights will turn on. Once youā€™ve determined your preference, adjust the sun elevation degrees in the blueprint for ā€œSun Elevation Fallingā€. Repeat the process for sunrise and enter your settings into ā€œSun Elevation Risingā€

Then, monitor to ensure itā€™s working correctly and meets your preferences. If adjustments are needed, you can easily make changes as necessary.

Night Lights

When enabling night lights, itā€™s not necessary to enable the sun elevation condition for normal lights in order for the night lights sun elevation condition to function.

If youā€™re choosing to incorporate both sun conditions in normal lights and night lights, itā€™s recommended to utilize a lower value for night lights. This ensures smoother transitions and more accurate lighting adjustments based on ambient conditions.

Enjoy

Back to ā€œThe Settings & Best Practice Guidelinesā€ Click Here

Hi Dude,

Nice Blueprint, I have a question.
Is it possible to start a script instead of a scene?
I use the Adaptive Lighting Integration and scenes unfortunately do not work with templates :confused:

1 Like

Hi @clipse , not currently in the blueprint but yes I could change it to also start a script.

Are you wanting to create a script that turns your lights ON and then create another script to turn your lights OFF just like scenes?

or

Are you wanting to start a script (Adaptive Lighting) and then let it do the rest?

Hi,

I just stumbled accross your blueprint and i think it is great :slight_smile: thank you for the hard work and sharing with the community.
I tried the blueprint on a basic light with a motion and a lux sensor and it works great !

However i fail to see why it doesnā€™t work all the time with multiple binary sensors as trigger. My case is that i have more then 15 lights that rely on motion (sometimes 2 of them), door, and lux sensors. I understand creating helpers ā€¦ willā€¦ help :slight_smile: but iā€™d like to use the blueprint as it was designed so i can change stuff quickly and see all info in one place.
I have automations that rely on multiple triggers and they work just fine.

Thank you !

@Momo Thanks for the kind words.

A example: Motion detected, trigger received automation runs, motion is in the ON state, before it goes to the OFF state the door opened and goes to ON state, LUX goes to ON state and then motion goes to OFF state. Because motion has now gone to the OFF state it is ready to receive the next trigger. The door and the LUX will not send a trigger to the automation until the door is closed and opened again or the LUX go high and low again so the automation waits. The problem happens more when we have sensors that can be in a ON state for a long time like door, LUX, etc.

If you have 3 motion sensors apart from each other it can work well because they normal are only on for short time and keep sending triggers. But in saying that it is possible to have issues.

If you group the motion, door and the LUX sensor together it acts as one trigger. So you trigger motion and it goes to the ON state, then you open the door and it goes to ON state, then your LUX goes to the ON state, your door closes and then is OFF, motion then goes OFF but the LUX is still ON so the group or the trigger is still in a ON state waiting until all sensors go to the OFF state. Once that happens the time delay starts. Hope that make sense.

I try and name the helper group to the automation so I can find it easy. But normally we set it up and forget about it.

HA do a good job with groups so even though I do understand it is nice to have it all in one place as I to would like that, sometimes it is better to use what HA have perfected and maintain well like helper groups.

Here is the link on how to set up helper group if you need it. Click Here

I did more testing to pinpoint where the issue is coming from.

I put 2 motion sensors pretty close to each other and triggered only 1. Automation did not start as it failed on the first condition check.

condition:
- condition: or
  conditions:
  - condition: and
    conditions:
    - condition: state
      entity_id: !input motion_trigger
      state: 'on'
    conditions:
    - condition: trigger
      id: t2
    conditions:
      id: t3
    conditions:
      id: t4

This first conditon is shown in Traces as conditions/0

Entity Id 0 was evaluated as true, but the overall first condition as false.

This is the first condition:

I believe the problem comes from the fact that the sensors are both under the same entity_id , hence the automation expects them to be both On to continue, which is wrong.

They should be evaluated separate and if ANY of them is ON, the automation should continue.

1 Like

And i think i fixed it :slight_smile:

condition:
- condition: or
  conditions:
    conditions:
      match: any

only one sensor triggered, condition evaluated as true

Currently I have a script with a template for the lamp that retrieves the values from the adaptive lighting and adjusts accordingly.
If I let the lamp just turn on, I have partly a short flickering or have to wait a bit until the integration adjusts the lamp.
My script looks like this:

service: light.turn_on
data_template:
  entity_id: light.hue_signe_esszimmer
  brightness_pct: "{{ states('sensor.ct_helligkeit_esszimmer') }}"
  color_temp: "{{ states('sensor.ct_mired_esszimmer') }}"
alias: Licht einschalten (mit Template Woche)

The light currently goes off via the normal light.turn_off command.
But of course I could also do this with a script.

I would tinker with it myself, unfortunately I know too little :confused:

@Momo

Thank you, I will look into that and update the blueprint. :grinning: :+1:

EDIT
Mine worked the first time with 2 motions sensors, but looked at the traces showed it stopped (what the). Then I changed it and the traces looked good and it worked. Then I removed it and it didnā€™t work. Put it back and it works.

I will update the Blueprint with your fix, thanks again. :+1:

New update 1.9

Bug fix thanks to @Momo

When using multiple entities for the ā€œTrigger Sensor - Binary Sensorsā€. Would not run.

Enjoy

Anytime :slight_smile:

Now iā€™m thinking of how to include some other check to keep lights on if standing still. For example check for TV power and if above 100W then do not turn lights off.
I like the idea of having an override switch like it is implemented but iā€™m the type that always forget to press some button. So an automated check for some entity property would be great.

1 Like

Remember the by-pass can be anything that has a ON state.