💡 Sensor Light - Motion Sensor - Door Sensor - Sun Elevation - LUX Value - Scenes - Time - Light Control - Device Tracker - Night Lights

Hi there,

Newbie question, is there a way to have 2 different night light configurations?

Would I need 2 automation of the same blueprint, 1 for regular hours + 1 night light config limiting hours and 2 for 2nd night light config limiting hours as well

Thank you in advance.

Sounds possible, you just need to hook the motion sensor and light to this blueprint.

You can then create input helper for the virtual switch, map that to the bypass ON option on this blueprint.

For location mode, assuming you mean using device location to disable the automation, if so, there is the zones + person option.

@ripblade

If your are after 3 different lights zones example; Zone 1 = Daytime, Zone 2 = Evening, Zone 3 = When sleeping then yes. Recommend one automation to do zone 1 & 2 then 2nd for zone 3. Reason for this is zone 1 & 2 you can use all the conditions and then zone 3 can be a time condition.

Blacky :smiley:

Hello,
I’m using this blueprint for a lot of my lights, it works very well !

I’m writing here because I’m struggling with one case:

I have kids and they want the light of the hall(couloir) to be in nightlight ALL the Night and not just when there is movement.
When not in nightlight, the light should light when there is movement.

I have a boolean nightlight
I tried to use it with the bypass the turn off with this boolean but cannot make it to work.
Now I’ve set the timeout for night at 12 hours. it kinda works but it’s not nice.

Here is my actual config:

Any tips would be welcome, thanks !

alias: "LightMvt - Couloir "
description: ""
use_blueprint:
  path: Blackshome/sensor-light.yaml
  input:
    motion_trigger:
      - binary_sensor.couloir_couloir_mvt_1485
    light_switch:
      entity_id: scene.couloir_relax
    time_delay: 2
    include_light_control:
      - use_transition
    include_ambient: ambient_disabled
    include_night_lights: night_lights_enabled
    light_colour_temperature: 3200
    light_transition_on: 3
    light_transition_off: 20
    night_lights_conditions:
      - entity_state_enabled
    include_night_light_control:
      - use_transition
    night_lights:
      entity_id: scene.couloir_nightlight
    night_time_delay: 720
    night_light_colour_temperature: 1500
    night_lights_after_time: "21:00:00"
    night_lights_before_time: "06:30:00"
    night_light_brightness: 5
    night_light_transition_on: 3
    night_light_transition_off: 10
    night_lights_entity_state:
      - input_boolean.nightlight
    motion_bypass_lights_on:
    motion_bypass_lights_off:
    light_brightness: 70
    include_bypass: []
    end_scenes:
      - scene.seb_couloir_lightstrip_off
    include_bypass_auto_off: []

Hey all,
quick question. I would like to trigger the night light (e.g. based on time) even if the main Trigger Sensor of the automation has not cleared yet.
In other words, my room lights are on (because my presence sensor is still occupied) but now at 18:30 I would like the lights to go dimmer (night lights). However, this will only happen once the main Trigger Sensor has cleared and get occupied again. Is there a way I can force the change even without a change in the main trigger sensor?
My best idea so far is to use the addon blueprint for a night time scenario and pause the main automation. However the transition of the addon is limited to 10 seconds which means the lights go on and of to frequent.
Thanks a bunch <3

@sebcbien

If you would like normal lights during the day and then a some lights ON during the night then for now the best way to do this is it use may :gear: Turn Light, Switch or Scene On & Off with Trigger Conditions for your night lights. Then you would use the state at the trigger in the other blueprint and the state as a by-pass in this blueprint.

Let us know if this works for you.

1 Like

Thanks @Blacky
I just edited my post when you were replying and added this:

Now I’ve set the timeout for night at 12 hours. it kinda works but it’s not nice.

I will have a look at your other blueprint.
Thanks for your amazing work and availability :grinning:

the best way to do this is it use may :gear: Turn Light, Switch or Scene On & Off with Trigger Conditions

Did not know about that blueprint but it might be the solution for my question too :slight_smile:

Yea that will work to… I will put his on the list.

The other blueprint is ON and OFF. We will also look at this and put it on the list. It use to work that way but it was changed to how it is now.

I am just got my head in some new development on this blueprint and looking 3 releases ahead. But I will look into it.

2 Likes

Thanks!!
I think the current behavior of the night light behavior makes more sense than what I seek. E.g. most want the light to change to night light AFTER they went to bed ( after Occupancy cleared and they get up again in the night for toilet etc.). Which is nice since it gives some fluctuation time, e.g. night light start at 22:30 but I go to bed at 22:34.
My use case is more during the evening ours for the kids bed time. Where I want night lights between 18:30 and 19:30 (fingers crossed they sleep by than hehe) if there is occupancy and the time hits the 18:30 regardless if the the occupancy sensor has been cleared.
Any idea on how to achieve this best?

• was thinking of an automation that toggle the main trigger of the automation briefly at 18:30
  • use the addon blueprint but that keeps the night lights only on for 10 sec if the room cleared

I can see how my text is confusing, I gotta learn how to be more precice when it comes to describing automations :sweat_smile:

Yep that is why it was changed.

I have got a lot in my head at the moment so excuse me if I am not 100% correct on this, but what needs to happen is the light has to go OFF not the trigger… you could use the by-pass turn OFF light and then the auto off or something to turn it the by-pass off and you will get a flicker, then it should go to night lights as the by-pass analyses the automation when we turn the by-pass OFF and if the trigger is ON it should turn your lights ON night mode… it is a totally hack. Just test it first before you go to town on making something by adding in a by-pass for the OFF option and turn it ON and OFF manually… then I will look at a better option.

Thanks a bunch!!
I think you are right that the light has to go off rather than the trigger.
Thank you for all your help and the amazing blueprints :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am (or perhaps better said was) a Smartthings user for years, and I have become accustomed to their home management logic.
Home mode:

• At home
  • outside the house
  • Night

I had also added

• sleep children

In this way, when I activated that mode (either by voice, or at a certain time or with some automation) the house behaved differently. I had combined a scene with actions to do and the change of mode to “sleep children”, and all my home automations specified whether to be used in just one specific mode or more or all of them. This in Home assistant is a little more difficult (for me as I’m new) but I’m trying to maintain this logic, and by doing this I could simply make an automation that when the mode is “normal children” all the lights you want in the room come on way you want.

A little off topic but to conclude, this dual mode (automations that change the home mode, and home mode that can be changed manually without automations) allows me to adjust different home modes without triggering other automations when needed.

I hope I have given some useful food for thought, but I realize that doing it now with a whole system of scene rules and automations set up is quite a headache.

2 Likes

I don’t think my drop-down menu is usable because the bypass allows you to select a button, but not a drop-down menu, in fact it lets me select the menu, but then there is no way to indicate which mode has been chosen, so I can’t to use this project.

Thanks! This is a good idea to sort everything and keep an overview of what is happening when. Ill think about and how I can implement it :slight_smile:

Blacky, sorry to bother you again, just want to double check.
Atm it seems that the night light option works for me (but maybe not as expected).
I changed from previously using Scenes to directly targeting the light groups.
As a result it seems my night light settings activate even without the bulbs going of or my presence sensor switching on and off.
However, after the night light timer ends, all lights turn of even though the the automation itself is supposed to be active for a few more hour after.
Any idea if I am missing something?
Otherwise my plan was to use your Light Addon to triigger a night light, however, the “Time Delay” for the lights to stay on can be set from 1 to 10 sec, any idea if I can increase this somehow?
This way I could use a time trigger to active the addon for night lights and pause the main automation untill the night light time passes by and the time trigger goes off.
If you have a input its much appreciated but otherwise don’t worry I will figure something out.
Thanks a bunch :slight_smile:

I am assuming by drop-down menu, you meant to use a drop down helper entity as the bypass. I really love Blacky’s blueprint and would think it a shame if you gave it a miss for this - so here’s a write-up for you.

1. Using the bypass without a physical switch - according to FAQ:
According to Blacky’s original FAQ post with the title in quotes below, there are specific instructions to create a virtual switch for use with the bypass. If you want to use a dropdown menu, that’s also possible by creating a template helper that watches the dropdown entity’s value and returns a boolean value.

You might want to check out the FAQ for this question first:

Q: How to use the “Trigger Sensor By-pass” without having a physical switch?

2. Using the bypass with a dropdown helper and a template binary sensor
If you still want to use your dropdown helper, you can check out the instructions below.

Show/Hide Example: How to create a template binary sensor as proxy for a dropdown helper entity, for use with bypass.
  1. Navigate to Helpers: Open your Home Assistant instance and show your helper entities.

2. Identify your dropdown helper entity’s ID:
    My case input_select.test_dropdown

3. Copy the option you want to use as a bypass, if possible, set the dropdown to the option as well:
    My case: Test Option 1

4. Return to the Helpers page, create a template helper:

5. Select Template a binary sensor

6. Use the following state template, and fill in the name you want for the entity.
    Please replace the entity ID and option with your own.

{{ is_state('input_select.test_dropdown', 'Test Option 1') }}

7. If done correctly, you should see something like this:

8. Submit, check that changing your dropdown helper entity options correctly updates your new binary sensor.

9. Use your newly created template binary sensor as your bypass. It will work hand-in-hand with the dropdown to perform your bypass.

Below image is just an example, please configure as per your own requirements.

2 Likes

@jeleniain

I have read your post but not 100% sure what you would like to do. If I am wrong in what I am saying could you post a step guide of what you would like and I will try to resolve / guide you.

This is what I think your would like.

Sensor light to work 24/7 but between 18:30 and 19:30 lights to be ON and stay ON for the hour at a lower brightness level.

Using this blueprint create 2 automations.

1. Create an automation to run between from start 19:30 to end 18:30 using the time option then do any settings you like.
  2. Create another automation to run between from 18:30 to end 19:30 set the lower brightness levels you would like. If you would like the lights to be ON for the hour then set the time delay to 60 min (just type the value 60 into it and save). If you would like night lights to come on between 19:30 to end 8:00 and have different settings then just enable night lights and add those times into night lights (19:30 to 8:00) and set the main time from 18:30 to 8:00 in this automation and the first automation time would be start at 8:00 end at 18:30. Or you can use the first automation for night lights if you like as the time delay of 60 min in normal lights will run over your time and you could have lights on longer than needed. Just see what works for you.

That is it your done. Let me now if this works for you.

1 Like

I have some unexpected behavior, I think it is caused by the bypass but I fail at troubleshooting the conditions.

I updated to the latest version but behavior stays the same.

I expect the lights to turn on when motion is detected, but I also configured the bypass to keep lights in current state when a helper is on. But I think the lights stay in de same state after the helper turned off. When I toggle the helper it starts working again.