Sensor Value Offsets

Again, it would make the compensated entity disconnected from the device. As a user, I would want both device registry and compensation, and this functionality is currently lacking.

I understand what you’re saying, but HA doesn’t follow that paradigm anywhere aside from unit conversion which makes use of system wide existing attributes device_class, state_class, and unit_of_measurement. You’re proposing an offset on values without even proposing how it should be done. At this point, it’s nothing but a feature request, not really a discussion.

Surely its better to do it at device level rather than in HA ?

Yes, you are correct, it is a feature request, and here is the thread for the discussion: Numeric sensor offset ¡ home-assistant/architecture ¡ Discussion #947 ¡ GitHub
I think the solution design I am proposing is obvious - use the same approach as for unit conversion and precision calculation and I am ready to express it with more details, but I think I first need the core developers to share their view in the github architecture discussion (or maybe I just miss the point and don’t understand the process).

1 Like

It’s not obvious. It’ll be completely different. unit conversions use a library that handles that, which would not handle the offset. Also the system uses the attributes I listed above. You’re welcome to argue, but when you have to bump that post an additional 9 times over the next 2 years, maybe you’ll start to realize that my comments hold merit. You’re simply regurgitating a feature request which does not belong in discussions. You should be supplying full technical details on how the system should work to get a discussion.

Thank you for the comments, I’ve added the technical details on my suggestion in the architecture discussion thread on github.

1 Like