Sensor Value Offsets

A calibration-option for all numeric values will be great, easy to use from de GUI. Starting with Temperature, Humidity

2 Likes

spread the word! let’s make this happen

An excellent idea - would be welcome!

1 Like

Yes please! I have a govee H5075 that’s off by 1 degree and I keep trying to utilize a template and even though I’m getting no errors and I’m following everything to a t… it never works.

1 Like

This definitely gets an upvote from me, would also love to see temperature offset directly on the entity in the GUI; +1

1 Like

Issue for me too - have a thermometer that’s off by a couple of degrees (exactly) - as it is it’s largely useless, but an easy offset would let me keep using it.

1 Like

It would be a great stuff, many sensors are not accurate.

please vote at the top then

+1 from me!
I’m currently searching for a solution for exactly this.
ESPHome’s Filter - Offset does only accepts float values, nothing based on templates

Please also vote up here: Numeric sensor offset ¡ home-assistant/architecture ¡ Discussion #947 ¡ GitHub

The compensation integration does that. It’s just not in the UI.

Sure. So does the template sensor.
The issue, apart from not having the UI, is that they create a separate entity, which is disconnected from the device and introduces a sort of entity pollution, I mean it doubles the number of sensors, requires hiding the main sensors and a rewrite of all references in automations and scripts, increases DB size, etc.
We already have built-in unit conversion, that in theory could be a separate integration with separate entities.

2 Likes

Any change with an offset will do the same thing. The paradigm in HA is to create an additional sensor when you manipulate the value by hiding the original and creating a new one.

I respectfully disagree.
We do the unit conversion in the sensor entity itself when calculating the state from sensor’s provided native_value. See homeassistant/components/sensor/__init__.py.
We can include the offset calculation next to it.

1 Like

Unit conversion are not the same as an offset. An offset is data manipulation. Also the functionality would need to be expandable to support other sorts of calibrations/compensations, not just a simple offset.

Secondly, your discussion does not propose a solution, you’re not getting any hits with that discussion because you’re just asking for a feature without a detailed description on how the feature should work and be handled in the code.

I know this doesn’t completely solve this but sensors in Z2M have calibration for the temperature, humidity, etc in Settings(specific)

Yes, so does ESPhome.

Oh yes, never noticed that, I’m going to check all my ESPHOME devices see if they need adjusting Thanks

Those are the workaround due to the lack of native HA functionality

The functionality exists, it just doesn’t work the way you want it to :wink: , There is no ‘lack of functionality’. You can do offsets right this moment with the compensation integration without using templates.