Sensors from Home Assistant not visible in Homekit

Hi! I am completely new to Home Assistant - finished my setup on Raspberry pi 2 days ago. I am having issues with having the sensor data presented in Homekit. So far I have tested it and experienced it with a Tasmota flashed Sonoff th10 and an alarm board from Konnected.

In the Tasmota flashed sonoff case, I believe that I configured the mqtt and added the device correctly because I can switch it on/off and read the temp and humidity sensor data in HA. However, when I added the Homekit integration and tried to configure it, it does not work properly. I can see the switch and turn it on/off but I do not see any sensor data (neither temperature nor humidity).

In the case of the Konnected alarm board, again, I can see the state of the window sensors (opened/closed) but they do not appear in Homekit at all. Could it be something in HA that I missed to configure despite seeing the status in real time etc?

In Homekit configuration, I chose bridge mode and switch, sensor, alarm control panel and binary sensor domains. When it comes to entities, I tested several but for alarm panel I chose the corresponding binary sensors and for Sonoff I chose all sensors in the first test and then all tasmota related entities. With device triggers I first tried marking both Sonoff and Konnected then I tried with neither marked when I realised that those should likely not be programmable switches?

Could you please give me some tips? Even if not on how to configure it, at least on where I could read more about it? Is there maybe something very obvious that I missed because I never used this setup before? Any help will be appreciated!

I have dozens of humidity/temp sensors connected to HomeKit through HA. Your issues may be the entity that was created in HA. For example, humidity sensors need to have % as the unit of measurement and “humidity” as the device class. If yours do not have the required properties then you would either have to re-define the devices in Tasmota or set up “dummy” devices that read the values and translate it into a device that HomeKit can utilize.

I feel like I might be missing something really obvious just because I am so new to this. I checked the data you mentioned and all seems to be correct. I think.
unit_of_measurement: ‘%’
device_class: humidity
force_update: true
value_template: ‘{{value_json[’‘SI7021’’][’‘Humidity’’]}}’
platform: mqtt

As before, I can see the switch but no information from the sensors. Really frustrating! but thank you for your reply.

Hi @CO_4X4 I have another question. I just noticed on the list of entities that the following one: Home Assistant Operating System: Running binary_sensor.home_assistant_operating_system_running Home Assistant Supervisor has an exclamation mark and says “unavailable”.
I do not really know what to do about it. I tried to disable it and then re-enable but that did not change anything.

You see that in HomeKit or did you get that somewhere else?

So here is an example of a humidity sensor that I have working in HA and pass to HomeKit (note that my sensor template is using the old HA definitions and I haven’t yet upgraded it yet):

filter:
    include_entities:
      - sensor.weather_calc_outside_temp
      - sensor.weather_calc_outside_feels_like
      - sensor.weather_calc_outside_high
      - sensor.weather_calc_outside_low
      - sensor.weather_calc_humidity 
      - sensor.weather_calc_rain_today
      - sensor.weather_calc_rain_hour
weather_calc_humidity:
  device_class: humidity
  friendly_name: "Outside Humidity"
  unit_of_measurement: "%"
  value_template: "{{ states('sensor.dark_sky_humidity') }}"

@CO_4X4 , I see it on the entity list:

the same under states:

When I look at my humidity sensor for example, it looks more or less as yours but I do not have the value_template part when looking at it through States tab.

I also looked at my configuration.yaml files and it is kind of… empty. It has 12 lines of code. I mean I just started using HA and added only the tasmota flashed sonoff and the Konnected alarm board but I still feel like I am missing something very basic. I am actually more surprised by the fact that I can read the state of the alarm sensors and temp/humidity sensors at all. They react in real time to opening/closing the windows and the sonoff displays temperature and humidity.

I have wiped my last HA installation and tried with a new one. This solved some of the issues but not all. I can now add and see all tasmota flashed sonoff devices with their sensors in Homekit. I can now also add/see/control a siren from Konnected alarm board in Homekit but I still cannot see the window sensors. I am happy some issues got solved but disappointed that some things still do not work and that I do not know what was wrong in the first place.

Hey,

what’s the unit of mesurement variable here for temp “deg”, “degrees”,… Where is your “weather_calc_humidity” located, in a sensor.yaml?. I’m trying to have my Netabmo sensor data available in HomeKit.

Thanks a lot!

It’s passed as a number value from HA with a unit of measurement of °F or °C and then the HomeKit config translates it if needed.

My weather calc entities are all defined as templates. You should be able to use the example I posted in November if you are using the old sensor template style or this if the new:

template:
	sensor:
	  - name: "Current Temperature (Dark Sky)"
		unique_id: "ab272548-85df-4aa8-8d4e-908eefd63511"
		unit_of_measurement: "°F"
		device_class: temperature
		icon: mdi:thermometer-lines
		state: >-
		  {{ state_attr('weather.dark_sky','temperature') }}
1 Like

Cheers! That’s perfect.

• Rob