Sensors now displaying in C instead of F after update

I was on a 2022.4.X version prior to update to 5.3, all my sensors send data in C and HA would automatically convert them to F if my global setting was set for Imperial.

After the update, all my sensors now display in C except my weather app so I think the global Imperial setting is working but for some reason the sensors are not converting over unless there was a change in the new update.

You can see here where my graph went from F to C after the update.

This is my code that has worked before, I use 433Mhz RFLink to capture the sensor data.

- platform: rflink
  automatic_add: True
  devices:
    auriol_000a_temp:
      sensor_type: temperature
      aliases:
        - auriol_000a_temp
    auriolv3_9c03_temp:
      aliases:
        - auriolv3_9c03_temp
    sensor.lacrosse_0601_temp:
      aliases:
        - sensor.lacrosse_0601_temp
    sensor.auriolv3_8001_temp:
      aliases:
        - sensor.auriolv3_8001_temp

Any ideas how I can get this fixed without rolling back to the old version?

1 Like

Click the gear icon in the upper right.

You should have a “Unit of Meausurement” option which can be changed to your preferred option.

I get this when I try to click the gear icon.

in that case add it to the sensor config as a unit of measurement of °F

- platform: rflink
  automatic_add: True
  devices:
    auriol_000a_temp:
      unit_of_measurement: "°F"
      aliases:
        - auriol_000a_temp

I added the unit_of_measurement and all it did was change the C to F but the data is still C.

I think there is a bug in the HA Sensor code. I’m having similar issues for SNMP sensor.

BTW, the config parameter, unit_of_measurement as I understand it, is the unit the sensor is reporting, so in your case should be configured as °C.

Yeah I kind of figured on the unit_of_measurement part.

My RFLink sensors won’t take the device_class or state_class parameter but my couple MQTT sensors did get fixed with it.

Bummer, I hope it gets fixed soon.

1 Like

Imagine looking at your 9 RFLink temp sensors and thinking @#$%#$^.

I rolled back, I hope they get this fixed. Didn’t realize what happened until I found this thread. Though, I realized the update did it.

Yeah
 I made a mistake and deleted my backup to free up some space so I am stuck with it. Just sucks because I have a lot of automations that rely on correct temperature and now I either have to turn them off until it’s fixed or convert them. I rally hope they fix this soon because 90% of my sensors are RFLink.

My ESPHOME sensor is having the same problem. I upgraded from 2022.4 to 2022.5 last night and we froze last night because of this :smiley: . Downgraded for now as I don’t see a solution. My system is set to Imperial so :man_shrugging: .

Looks like there are github issues for some of this.

https://github.com/home-assistant/core/issues/71770
https://github.com/home-assistant/core/issues/71462

Probably more.

So 2022.6 just released and my sensors are still showing up in C.

Do they plan on fixing this or does anyone have a workaround for the RFLink sensors to display F? All my automations are messed up, I was hoping for a fix soon but looks like they released another version without fixing it.

It doesn’t look like it. It seems we’re on our own to figure out work arounds using templates or maybe customizations. For me, the path of least resistance is probably just to duplicate my ESPHOME sensor using a template since I don’t remember where all the code is for it.

https://github.com/home-assistant/core/issues/72625#issuecomment-1141776540

I’m using RFLink. I mostly understand that there is some type of template that I will need to use to convert the temp sensors from C to F.

Can you please direct me to any information on how these templates work or how to make one?

I see the code, but don’t quite understand it.
’

• platform: mqtt
    unique_id: living-room-temperature
    name: “Living Room Temperature”
    state_topic: ‘rtl_433/Acurite-Tower/12134’
    value_template: ‘{{ value_json.temperature_C }}’
    unit_of_measurement: “°C”
    device_class: “temperature”
    ’

I’m assuming its line
’
value_template: ‘{{ value_json.temperature_C }}’
’
But I dont really understand it.

My code looks like this:
’
rflink:
port: /dev/ttyACM0

light:

• platform: rflink
    automatic_add: true

sensor:

• platform: rflink
    automatic_add: true
    devices:
    cresta_3101_bat:
    sensor_type: battery
    name: north house sensor battery
    cresta_3101_hum:
    sensor_type: humidity
    name: north house humidity
    cresta_3101_temp:
    name: north house temperature
    ’
    Thanks!

I’m also dealing with this issue with a MySensors temperature sensor. Working fine prior to this month. Using ÂșF as my global temperature, but the sensor transmits ÂșC data. Currently displaying 21.8ÂșF when it is actually 21.8ÂșC (~71ÂșF according to other temp sensors I have). Using the frontend to change Unit of Measurement to ÂșC then gives me -5.7ÂșC :man_facepalming:

I don’t see a way to set device_class (in the gui), as the entities are all managed by the MySensors integration.

EDIT: Setting device_class: "temperature" in customize.yaml doesn’t seem to help.

Still looking for a little help with this.

Anyone have any workaround for RFLink to convert it over to F?

I know so little about this. Is it something we can ask the RFLink Home Assistant maintainer to help with? But I’m still on the old version of HA.

I submitted a github bug and the maintainer of the RFLink is trying to find a solution.

Here is the link we are trying to work through it. If you care to comment or have suggestions.

Hey everyone I have had the same issue as everyone else on my ESPHome probes. Well today I was having issues with ESPHome and got some help on their discord. Turns out I was running an extremely OLD ESPHome. I updated to the lastest firmware from their own repository, and that fixed my C/F conversation.

I hope this helps y’all.

1 Like