Server crashed- Reinstalling Home Assistant- no backup folder

My server crashed and I spent the past two days getting Ubuntu and Docker reinstalled.

I used the following command to install Home Assistant on Docker:

sudo docker run --init -d --name="home-assistant" -e "TZ=America/New_York" -v /usr/share/hassio/homeassistant:/config --net=host homeassistant/home-assistant:stable

No errors, so restart Home Assistant:

sudo docker restart home-assistant

Now, open Home Assistant on my browser:
http://192.168.1.54:8123

And I get the very basic Home Assistant page asking to create an account and set my location, etc.

Now, I want to restore from a snapshot before the crash.
But, there is no backup folder. In fact in /usr/share/hassio the only thing present is the homeassistant folder. No json files, no other folders like share and backup, nothing.

Did I do something wrong in the installation or have I missed a step?
Can I simply copy the files and folders from a backup of the /usr/share/hassio/ folder that I made just before the crash?

This is my new configuration.yaml has:

# Configure a default setup of Home Assistant (frontend, api, etc)
default_config:

# Text to speech
tts:
  - platform: google_translate

group: !include groups.yaml
automation: !include automations.yaml
script: !include scripts.yaml
scene: !include scenes.yaml

This is the basic screen that I get:

Any assistance at this point would be appreciated.

Going by these guidelines, it sounds like you’re running the ‘Container’ version, when it sounds like you want the ‘Home Assistant Supervised’ version.

The Supervised version gives you access to the Supervisor tab and all the features that you’re missing.

How do you do addons and snapshots without the Supervisor tab?? Seems kind of pointless to me.

So, I am at a loss. How do I install the supervised Home Assistant on my NUC? Do I even need docker?

Why does installing Home Assistant have to be so damned confusing?

You can’t get that without using the supervised version. I agree, the Supervisor functions are very very nice and wouldn’t go back to using Home Assistant without them!

The Supervised install WILL use docker itself, but the ‘supervisor’ program will manage it all in the background, so you do still need it.

If you aren’t using the NUC for anything else, the recommended way is to pull the hard drive and apply the NUC image to it just like you would apply an image to a raspberry pi sd card and use it as kind of an appliance. Details: https://www.home-assistant.io/hassio/installation/

Otherwise, if you need it for other things and want to just have Ubuntu (or whatever) installed on it, you can do the ‘Home Assistant Supervised’ based install. I think the installation details for this method got purged when they depreciated it as an ‘approved’ install method, because I can’t find them, but there should be plenty of resources out there for it.

*-
EDIT: Found one: Installing Home Assistant Supervised on Debian 10
*-

Last, you’d always have the option of installing a hypervisor and running it in a VM (that’s what I do, using Proxmox, but not with a NUC). This worked for me (but doesn’t go into how to install proxmox): Supervised Install on Proxmox