Set Default Dashboard for all users

set theme sets the theme, this is not the same as a dashboard.

Oh, yeah, sorry I completely misread😳

1 Like

Voted! Add this!

2 Likes

There’s something like it in HACS called Default Dashboard. I haven’t tried it yet, though.

2 Likes

I would also enjoy having this feature!

1 Like

Up vote. Put me on the waiting list!

1 Like

Added my vote as well.

Appears to be related: Ability to set Dashboard defaults and visibility per user (not per device or maybe in addition to) ¡ Issue #6415 ¡ home-assistant/frontend ¡ GitHub (closed, moved to discussion)
Discussion: Ability to set Dashboard defaults and visibility per user (not per device or maybe in addition to) ¡ home-assistant/frontend ¡ Discussion #11278 ¡ GitHub

As a workaround, I modified the Overview dashboard, renamed the first tab to “New User Setup” and left a Markdown card with brief instructions and a link to /profile to take the user directly to where they needed to go. A note: Markdown cards do not appear to obey the [link] (text) (without the space) formatting prescribed by the Markdown spec, just put a text string in that starts with http or https and it will change it to a link with the URL as the text.

This is now my config/.storage/lovelace file:

{
  "version": 1,
  "minor_version": 1,
  "key": "lovelace",
  "data": {
    "config": {
      "title": "New User Setup",
      "views": [
        {
          "theme": "Backend-selected",
          "type": "panel",
          "title": "Redirect",
          "badges": [],
          "cards": [
            {
              "type": "markdown",
              "content": "# Welcome, new user!\n\nPlease make sure to visit your profile to set your default dashboard (Room Controls is recommended!) and your theme!\n\nThe link below will take you directly to your profile:\n\nhttp://your.fqdn:8123/profile"
            }
          ]
        }
      ]
    }
  }
}
2 Likes

Very much needed feature… Setting a global default dashboard and a global sidebar layout is not only important if you have multiple users, but also if you have different devices. Whenever I add a Dashboard or change something I do need to realign my sidebar on all of my devices. This is very tedious and annoying - I also have to setup devices for other family members as well…

I really wish there were a global Default Dashboard and a way to setup a default sidebar order for all users/devices. Bonus: Possibility to overwrite custom sidebar order for individual devices

1 Like

Desperately needed feature!

1 Like

I cannot fathom how this isn’t a standard functionality. - Not meant as gripe, but honest wonder how this was not part of the design when implementing dashboards.

It would make it so easy for kiosks and guest users

2 Likes

It is also a little odd, worrysome even, that even if a default dashboard is set, you cannot limit (or even, it is automatically limited) for the other dashboards. Severy security implications: Even non-admins can see the log dashboard and the energy dashboard because I cannot limit them? So they can see when someone else has switched devices, not part of their own dashboard.

2 Likes

Please add this feature! I don’t want to change the sidebar on each device every time I add or change a Dashboard. Especially for other people living in the household it’s a chore.

1 Like

Upvote on this one, have been amazed this isn’t working! Quite frustrating also for non admin users who dont manage the systems. everytime their app or device changes they need to reset this and dont know how.

1 Like

Yep, this works! The instructions look complicated, but it actually does those steps for you. All you have to do is enable it in HACS, then go to your helpers and find the new “Default Dashboard” dropdown, and choose the default from there. Then reload your browser/app!

2 Likes

Great idea, i personallynwould prefer it not be enforced upon all users, instead on a per-user basis but controlled by am admin, so you could change it on a per-user basis with an automation.

with this you could check for known device-types, like for example ‘browser’ oder whatever and change it to a desktop dashboard, while changing the default to a mobile dashboard when connecting with a mobile client!

1 Like

Upvote. Really want this feature.

1 Like

BUMP! This feature seems quite easy to implement and would be useful for most users.

I agree this should be easier as it is clear no one seems to get that you already have full control what is in the global default dashboard. Spoiler: make sure your preferred global is in the official global overview dashboard. If you use a gui built one, go to yaml mode from your preferred one and copy the code, paste it in overview and you are done.

Even if you want a yaml mode default it can be done. I already have this for more than a year. For yaml it is documented, but you need to use the default dashboard name ui-lovelace.yaml:

If you do not want to lose the auto generated dashboard: create a new dashboard, make sure the yaml in raw mode is empty.

On the default dashboard click on the 3 dots on the upper right corner
then Edit > Take Control
Ha
Then modify the Yaml code of the default dashboard as you want.