Setting up Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5, Z-Wave Plus USB on Raspberry Pi 4

I am new to Home Assistant and have only been using it about a week. Im currently trying to get my new Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5, Z-Wave Plus USB working on my raspberry pi 4 and have not had any success. I followed the instructions, got my USB path from supervisor>system>hardware. I can see in the zwave card an option to start Z-Wave network but no option to add or remove nodes. When I hit start Z-Wave network it just spins and spins. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

1 Like

Just to add, here is my Z-Wave config. I am not sure if this is correct or not.

There is a known compatability issue between the Aeotec stick and the Pi4. I think the Pi4 is strict about is power draw off the USB ports and the Aeotec goes slightly beyond the usb spec.

Adding a USB 2 hub into the equation solves the issue.

2 Likes

@silvrr that’s a bummer, but glad to hear there is a solution. It’s probably due to those dang disco lights on the stick, lol

I can confirm this workaround. I recently bailed from Wink Hub, should have a long time ago. Battled its slow response time and poor availability issues for far too long, kind of embarrassing actually.

The Aeotec Z-Stick is much faster and I think ultimately more reliable. I am only on day 2 with it and I am having some issues with availability, but I am pretty confident its not related to the hardware or HA but rather my configuration. Still learning the zwave ins and outs, that Wink very poorly handled for me before.

My two leviton switches and one leviton dimmer are working fine and paired very quickly. Showed up in home assistant with very little work. Simply walking through the zwave config tool got those up and running.

I also have two gocontrol(linear) garage door controllers, not so much fun here. Paired quickly, HA recognized quickly, but getting errors with “services not existing” i.e. - toggling open/close etc.

What about usb 3.0 hub, anybody having trouble? Will it work as well?

I ask because I’m planing to move back to a Rpi4 with a 3.0 usb ssd, plus a z-stick and a CC2531 stick. And would rather have one hub for all.

No. At least not as far as I have seen. I tried a 4 Port Ultra Slim USB 3.0 Data Hub made by Anker with the Z-Stick and it got no response. It powers up and does its “Disco” routine, but HA couldn’t see it. So it gives it power but no data.

my Aeotec’s Z-Wave g5 does the light dance on Pi4. Not showing up in hardware list. I just ordered $4 hub hoping it will fix the issue.

Hey mate…just wondering if the $4 USB 2.0 hub helped?

Am having similar issue, tried with a USB 2.0 hub (link below) but no luck.

Keen to know where you ended up.

Cheers,
Trevor

I suppose the USB hub should be a powered one?