I am now setting up a new system on a 4 floor house and this is my first Zigbee project of such size.
So far I have only configured and used few Zigbee devices with GWs of various brands (Hue GW, Silvercrest GW, Tradfiri GW).
I also played a bit with HA on a dedicated x86 machine I have, but haven’t integrated Zigbee yet.
- Brick walls house (also internal walls 20cm deep)
- 4 Floors (50sqm, 100sqm, 100sqm, 100sqm) with dedicated Network cabinet in the bottom floor
- 20 light bulbs average on each floor
- 20 smart switches
- 10-15 motion sensors
- 10 remote sound buttons
- 10 windows/door sensors
For the highlighted configuration I identified
The identified gateways are either:
- IKEA Tradfiri - one GW on each floor. Most items are available on IKEA smart home line except the windows/door sensors.
- Silvercrest - one GW on each floor. It is still compatible with better light bulbs from IKEA and HUE, while it includes all other buttons and sensors, including the windows/door sensors (but no integration with HA?)
- Using a compatible ZHA dongle for the main x86 Gateway with HA, plus add Zigbee extenders or additional GW with ZHA dongle (or else) to support the large amount of devices on multiple floors (if needed).
Ideally I would like to have a central control on my HA Gateway, but also trying to keep the system simple and possible considering the size, I prefer to have stability and consistency above freedom to add any type of device/brand.