Tube's ZB Coordinators and Routers (was Zigbee router on steroids?)

Edit: I posted this in GitHub too in case that is the preferred avenue. I can delete this post if it should not be in both places.

Hi, I am setting up my new EFR32 coordinator and am having issues. I want to run it via serial/USB and so have put the jumpers in the middle per the GitHub instructions.

I go into integrations and add ZHA and Hass sees a device at /dev/ttyAMA0. I choose that and EZSP radio type. This brings me to the screen where it shows the path, asks for port speed and data flow. The default port speed is 57200 and I choose 115200 per GitHub. Once, I click ā€œSubmitā€, I get ā€œfailed to connect.ā€ It seems no matter what I do, I get failed to connect. Any advice on what I should do?

Oh and I added those lines to configuration.yaml. TIA for any ideas!

yea just saw the issue, Iā€™ll troubleshoot it there thanks!

1 Like

Hi, bought 2 routers centrally placed on the 2nd and ground floor. I am using deCONZ (first floor). I see many devices connect with the routers.However, the link quality looks mediocre (many to orange/red colored links and low LQI) while direct connections to the Coordinator (ConBee2) look all healthy green and high LQI, even the Hue Bulb routed end devices have much higher LQI values in the Hue Bulb link. I see the routers have a 1/21 and 83/38 LQI, while most other links are in the 120-140 range. Mesh is up for several weeks now.

How could it be end point devices almost next to the routers have a much better LQI link to a nearby HUE bulb? Does this have to do with the stock Firmware limited transmission power?

Note: My mesh works fine (about 80 devices), except for the far away end points (cellar and part of the attic). I hoped or expected to see strong links from/to the routers.

This probably wonā€™t be the answer you want, but I stopped paying attention to the reported LQI numbers and focus on the reliability of the connected devices and if they work or not.

This boils down to the way the devices report LQI. Each radio chip (TI, SiLabs, NXP, Nordic etc) calculate it differently, sometimes it is only for the last (or maybe the first) hop in the mesh as well. So iā€™ve learned not to put too much time into chasing the low LQI reports, and just make sure stuff works.

transmission power /power amplifiers will only have to do with the sending signal from the router out to other devices, not the link into the router. I can see a place for potentially utilizing the PA with a router placed outside in a shed say, with sensors in that area connected to the router, which is then able to make use of the the PA to send back to to the coordinator or another router (possible with PA to make the leap to the shed as well) closer to the coordinator.

I also wonā€™t be advocating for the use of the PA FW that is avaialbe in the github issue unless it is main-lined into the z-stack FW repo as a release.

1 Like

Thanks, my mesh woeks fine, also the devices which tended to drop off even now and then. So up to now the routers seem to have resolved my issue. Would have been nice if LQI couldbe used to objectively compare links. But agree to you the only thing what matters is the reliability and responsiveness of the mesh.

1 Like

PoE is alive :muscle:. Need to run it through some thorough testing and design a case still.

8 Likes

Hi all! I set up a Twitter account where I will post updates when I add inventory.

https://twitter.com/Tubeszb

PoE testing and case design is going well expect to have them up for sale within the next 24 hoursšŸŽ‰

3 Likes

Wish I could help more. Itā€™s 12 days later and 7 of the 9 blinds in the row are no longer connected to anything, all 3 remotes dropped, 2 ikea routers, 1 thermostat (I suspect this is a defective device) and 2 door sensors all floating out there in no manā€™s land. Even with 15 devices completely dropped off the network for no apparent reason, this is still the most reliable my zigbee network has ever been. My thermostats, which are what Iā€™d consider critical, have been completely rock solid for the first time ever.

Iā€™ve got the tube coordinator, 2 tube routers and 35 other routing devices. Every room has a minimum of 2 routing devices in it. Iā€™m using zigbee channel 26 and my WiFi APā€™s are set to 1 and 6 so there should be no interference. Iā€™m just at a total loss with Zigbee. At least my critical devices work good now lol

I thought Zigbee channel 26 was not regarded as a reliable channel to use? I seem to recall it being capped to a lower transmit power than the other channels?

I use Zigbee channel 15 on my Home Assistant ZHA Conbee2, Zigbee channel 20 on my Hubitat hub, and my Unifi Access Points are on WiFi 2.4GHz channels 1, 6, and 11 with 20MHz bandwidth settings. I have never had any WiFi - Zigbee interference with this arrangement. I also have a Philips Hue bridge running on Zigbee channel 25 which has worked flawlessly.

3 Likes

Stop that. 26 is completely unstable, especially for Ikea devices; They require 11, 15, 20, or 25. 26 is just outside of 25ā€™s frequency range and thatā€™s probably why your Ikea devices are dropping all over the place.

1 Like

Looks like I know my project for the next hour or so. Iā€™ll make the switch to channel 15 right now and go through the re-pairing process to see if it helps. Iā€™ll try just about anything at this point :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

What I would do is start with channel 15. If that proves to be unstable, try channel 20 (honestly, Iā€™d start with 20 anyhow as itā€™s the most common across ZHA/ZLL devices).

2 Likes

I was already deep into 15 before I saw this. Iā€™ll see how this goes and if not Iā€™ll try 20.

1 Like

Any one ordered one of these to Europe (EU) ? How much import tax did you pay ?

I paid some import fees (9 euro flat + VAT over the orer value icluding shipping), but only since I ordered 2 in one order. If you order only one I think you remain below the threshold)

Ordered a coordinator 27 April, arrived today.

Not bad for coming all the way to New Zealand.

Thanks @tube0013

2 Likes

I just joined the community to express interest in what you have going here. Iā€™m new to Zigbee as a technology but when we bought our house it had a number of motion, door, and window sensors for XFINITY Home Security which I understand I can tap into for Home Assistant and Iā€™d like to take advantage of. It looks to me like all I need to get started is one of your CC2652P2 Based Zigbee to Ethernet Serial Coordinators. Does this sound like the best option? I have centrally located ethernet and am running Home Assistant in a Docker container on a Synology NAS. Iā€™ve been watching the stock on the coordinator but every time Iā€™ve looked it appears to be out of stock. Hoping to support you and get started!

Thank you! I am out of PCB boards for the ethernet gateways right now. I put a new order in before I was out, but I had several bad PCBs from my last batch which has basically caused this interruption in stock. Also shipping is taking a few days longer than normal, they have been sitting in Japan for the last few days hoping they arrive by mid week at this point.

I do plan to launch the PoE variant very soon. This will require a PoE Switch or injector there will be no other means to power it.

First batch of Poe Coordinators are available.

5 Likes

well they sold out in 9 hours, should have more by the end of the week!

2 Likes