Setting up Zwave with Hassbian 1.22 (Aeotec Zstick)

Hi, I was using an older version of Hassbian since it first was released. Yesterday, I decided I wanted to update to the latest version and had to do a clean wipe of everything. I’m using a Aeotec Zstick Gen 5 and after I installed sudo hassbian-config install openzwave, I couldn’t get zwave working again.

I tried wiping and installing again, no luck. I made sure I was using the correct Zwave usb_port and that the home assistant user had permissions. I searched the forms here and really was hitting dead ends because a lot of posts are now outdated and talk about using the old hassbian_scripts method of installing things instead of the new hassbian-config way.
When I looked at the new GitHub release page for hassbian and looked at the notes

With the release of 1.21 a small problem with the OpenZWave build script wasn’t corrected even tough it was a known bug. Problem is simple as it’s only a problem with the symlink created for to the config folder for Open Z-Wave.This has since been fixed and we bring some new things since they where ready anyway.

I wondered if the symlink wasn’t actually fixed, so I went and did this as the pi user

sudo ln -s /srv/homeassistant/src/python-openzwave/openzwave/config /srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.4/site-packages/python_openzwave-0.4.0.31-py3.4-linux-armv7l.egg/config

Sure enough, it is working now. Now, I’m sure I could have just set /srv/homeassistant/src/python-openzwave/openzwave/config in the config_path: under zwave in my configuration file, but I wanted to be sure that the symlinking was the issue.

So I hope anyone else who’s having the problem I was finds this and is helped out, and hopefully the symlink issue is fixed next time :grin:

4 Likes

Supposedly 1.22 here fixes something that looks similar… https://github.com/home-assistant/pi-gen/releases

Do you think that would deal with the issue you fixed manually?

That is the version that I used. As I said, it appears that it still is not fixed.

2 Likes

Ah… Why did I look at your post, but not the title. Thank you.

Thanks for posting this. I’m a noob who was running into the same thing and found your post after installing Hassbian 4 times to figure out what I did wrong. By the way I am using a Linear HUSBZB-1. I only have the Z-Wave working but that’s all I need for now anyway.

-Skilly

Glad I could help :slight_smile:. I was tearing my hair out trying to get it to work. I’ve been thinking about getting that zwave/zigbee stick and a SmartThings multisensor to see if I can get it integrated.

It wasn’t fixed and I’m making 1.23 right now that includes the openzwave fix :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great news and again thank you both. As I said I’m new here but its great to see how hard your working to make the code assessable to a beginner like myself.

I think I’ll do a fresh install when you role out 1.23 and see if it gets the Zigbee working on my stick. I did the upgrade to 44.1 but HA can’t see the database.

Awesome, thanks!:grin:

Hi.

Up since yesterday but marked as pre-release. I always want to run it live for a few hours before release so I’ll put it as the recommended release tonight.

I’ve just done a fresh install with Hassbian_1.23.zip. After running hassbian-config install openzwave I had to manually symlink the zwave config directory still.

To confirm, the error was:
Can't find config directory /srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.4/site-packages/python_openzwave-0.4.0.34-py3.4-linux-armv7l.egg/config

A quick fix was:

sudo ln -s /srv/homeassistant/src/python-openzwave/openzwave/config /srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.4/site-packages/python_openzwave-0.4.0.34-py3.4-linux-armv7l.egg/config

So it looks like 1.23 didn’t fix it unfortunately.

Hi all,

I’ve tried, I really have, to understand how zwave is handled on Hassbain/HA, but I’m still utterly confused by what I have to do to enable zwave!

I have flashed Hassbian 1.23, which is running HA 0.48.1

I’ve read so many (seemingly outdated) posts on the forums, that I am complete baffled by what I need to do next!

I understand that the hasbian-config downloads the openzwave source and compiles on demand, but then I read, if I understand correctly, that since HA 0.45, that the precompiled openzwave will be downloaded via PyPi (for a degree of compatibility certainty) on demand.

Someone said its auto-installed as soon as you add zwave: to configuration.yaml - is that correct, as I can’t find any mention of it in the docs? Or do I still have to do hassbian-config install openwave ?

Any help/pointers would be very much appreciated!

Edit: Ah having re-read the docs again, I see it kinda implies it is downloaded after adding zwave: to the config, so thats what I did and its now doing something :slight_smile:

Edit 2: And now its all working :smile:

1 Like

/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.4/site-packages/python_openzwave-0.4.0.34-py3.4-linux-armv7l.egg/config

This path doesn’t exist for me on the latest version of Hassbian (1.23 running Home Assistant 0.48.1), after running hassbian-config install openzwave so I’m assuming it would not make sense to run that sudo ln -s line?

Maybe I didn’t need to run the install openzwave command? - honestly it’s impossible to know what’s right / wrong with the amount of variation in commands that people suggest and documentation not necessarily being for the right version :confused:

All I’d like to achieve is getting the correct config_path value for my Aeotec z-stick gen 5. I can’t escape the dreaded ‘invalid config’ message despite the yaml being valid.

Fixed by adding the path: /srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.4/site-packages/python_openzwave/ozw_config

1 Like

As a complete noob to home-assistant, but a dozen years with linux and programming under my belt, I must say setting up zwave with home-assistant was a most frustrating 2 days. This thread was the answer. Without the magic config_path for zwave, home-assistant simply seemed to hang. I did stumble on BRUH automation video on z-wave, and noticed the config_path, but thought it was unnecessary because of the misinformation about config_path being ‘optional’ found here https://home-assistant.io/docs/z-wave/

Thanks oobie11 for the unsolicited post! Appreciate you taking the time to provide your issue to the general community as it steered me on the right track for Hassbian 1.23. The config path provided by ‘randomusername’ is correct for Hassbian 1.23. Should home-assistant hang again when Hassbian 1.24, or 1.25 arrives, this would be a good place to look. Note this config path has changed from 1.22 and from when the BRUH automation video was made.

2 Likes

Not that it helps now, but in the end all I had to do was install the dependancy (sudo apt-get install libudev-dev) add the zwave: section to the configuration.yaml file, and after I restarted HA, it automatically downloaded and configured openzwave. It took ages and there was no indication it was actually doing anything, but eventually HA started and up it popped.

I think since 0.45, the hassbian-config install openzwave is no longer necessary ?

1 Like

The documentation isn’t exactly all that clear on this (from the hassbian perspective) and you would think that Hassbian would include common dependencies by default in order to avoids this.

Thanks davefi - it may have been doing just that after I added zwave: to the config file. It just looked like it was doing nothing for a long time and I figured it was hung. ugh.