Setup on Synology NAS with remote access

@PhotoZilla @Protoncek
If I understood you all, by installing HA in your NAS you can fully access your HA remotely per iphone as you do local.
If so, it is very kind of you @PhotoZilla to write a documentation / user guide in details and share with me.
I want to setup my DS210+ with HA.
Thanks

Installing HA on synology is described on official HA site (home assistant installations -->alternative, find Synology). However, you MUST have your drives formatted in btrfs system, not ext3/4, otherwise you won’t be able to install VM manager and create virtual machine at all. Also - not all Synology NAS machines allow VM manager (at least not officially, sometimes there are side ways…)

As for externall access, i’ve posted link to my site above (second post, i think) - all you need is setup proxy in synology.

@Protoncek I use DS218+.
How can I check if my drives format?
I can not find Reverse Proxy Tool in my NAS Control Panel. Where is it exactly?
Thanks

You can check simply by going into Package center and see if you have “virtual machine manager” available for install and if you can install it. If you have wrong format it will warn you and won’t install - in this case the only option is to delete existing partition (storage pool) and create a new one - yes, i know - it means backup all your existing data, delete and re-create partition, and then copy all back to NAS… i’ve had to do that, sadly… there’s no way to convert existing partition from ext- to btrfs.

proxy panel is quite hidden, yes: Control panel → login portal → advanced → reverse proxy.

@Protoncek thanks. Now I can find it. I installed HA successfully in NAS using Docker

ok, great! i forgot that Docker is an option, yes. I guess you don’t need btrfs partition for docker, only if you install HA into VM, as explained HERE

@Protoncek In Reverse Proxy, I am now at Reverse Proxy Rules, tab Customer Header. After click Create I have to input the HeaderName and Value.
In your guide, Header Name is WebSocket, What is about Value???

@Protoncek Moreover I gave hostname, for example “dsm.thanhbinh.synology.me” but it does not accept by Let’s Encrypt.
How can I map IP-Adress:port_number like 192.xxx.xxx.xx:5001 to this hostname??
Thanks

When you click “create websocket” all should automatically be filled-in.
I think that in order to succesfully create let’s encrypt in your router you must forward port 443 to IP of your synology.

@Protoncek no, it is not automatically filled-in by me
How can you create your own domain? here
dsm.yourname.synology.me

In my systems I have only one possibility to create a domain using External Access, tab DDNS like
yourname.synology.me
I use it for Reverse Proxy.

You create your domain in external acces -->ddns. your domain will look like, say, thanhbinh.synology.me. After that you create proxies and all those links will be, say, home.thanhbinh.synology.me.
But, first you must test if domain thanhbinh.synology.me brings you to synology main login page. If not, you must set port forwarding accordingly - if you connect via http then it’s port 80, for https it’s port 443 - that port must be forwarded to local IP of your NAS.
If those websocket fields are not populated it’s maybe because ddns has not been set yet…?

@Protoncek yes I did exactly what you wrote, but I can not access this domain.
Only one thing I think that maybe wrong is the value on the right side by setting WebSocket.
In my config, I set it to 267, but really do not know what correct value is?
What do you think?

Moreover, I’d like to ask you if we can use DDNS and quickconnect in Synology simultanously?
Currently, I enable quickconnect mode too.
Thanks

I have both enabled, yes: quickconnect and ddns, so you can have them both.
Well, here my knowledge pretty much ends… i can show you my settings for websocket:

@Protoncek it is the same for me with home.myname.synology.me.
But here I speak about dsm.myname.synology.me, we have to Create WebSocket, and for it a value is necessary.

@Protoncek Now, I can set up WebSocket as your system, but still have not access to this domain.

@Protoncek
I think I have to create a router for this.
One question:
How can I set up this? Which option?

I don’t quite understand what you mean by “dsm.myname.synology.me”? If you mean access to your synology nas it’s not “dsm.myname.synology.me” but just “myname.synology.me” (what you defined in ddns section) - this is access to your NAS. All other accesses are with a word before that, like “home.myname.synology.me”, then, say, “video.myname.synology.me” for video surveillance if you’d have one. You don’t need to setup any proxy for NAS access, only DDNS and router port forwaring. Proxy is only for other things. Port forwarding is necesarry to set up in your (or internet provider’s) router, not in NAS.

@Protoncek I can explain it as follows:

1. in External Access, DDNS sector I registered: “myname.synology.me”, I selected Auto for External Address and then generate a certificate for it
  2. By Reverse Proxy I create
    a) “dsm.myname.synology.me” for DSM interface and Destination Port 5001 to 443, WebSocket as your guide, and then its certificate
    b) “home.myname.synology.me” for HA and Destination Port 8123 to 443, WebSocket as your guide, and then its certificate

It is all I did in NAS configuration, but no access on both of them

I try to find out if it is possible to do any “Port forwarding” in my router FritzBox but I did not find anything.
Do I miss anything here?
Thanks

part a) is not necesarry. As said, you must access your NAS with domain “myname.synology.me”. Only for HA access you must create proxy entry.
I don’t know fritzbox routers, so i can’t help you here. But, every router has port forwarding. Look in section where you have WAN access set. It should look like a page with entry of name, internal IP, internal and external port and choose between TCP, UDP or both. this picture shows my case for Asus router. Last line is for synology. IP is internal IP of Synology server

I’m not sure if it’s mandatory, but check if you have this also set in your NAS (HTTPS, Reverse proxy part):

@Protoncek Thanks. I will ask avm for port forwarding in Fritzbox.
But have another question:
In your Router Configuration I found 3 entries and the last one for QuickConnect, which use also port 443.
In my case I can access my NAS using QuickConnect, That means for me that my router already make this kind of port forwarding somehows. If so I should find the word QuickConnect or Synology in FritzBox Configuration.
What do you think?