I’m interested in learning home automation and am trying to set-up Home Assistant. I have been having challenges with Home Assistant and am looking for any suggestions or guidance.
Set-up Requirements and Details:
- I’ve been using Synology NAS in my home for many years and am currently running a DS918+. I figured I could run Home Assistant off my Synology so I have started down this path. I’m certainly open to other options as well. I’m not clear what the benefit of running it on the Synology vs my home PC.
- I would like to be able to remote access my Home Assistant.
- I would like to be able to share my Home Assistant set-up (or parts of it) with my family members so they can have control and access to some home controls.
- I have a number of different devices in my house that I will link to Home Assistant. Ecobee, Sonoff, NuHeat, Kasa, B-hyve
- I got Home Assistant running on my Synology using a Virtual Machine and Docker.
- I installed HACS.
- Attempting to set-up remote access has caused the following issues.
o I created a DuckDNS account
o Set-up port forwarding and Dynamic DNS in my EdgeMax router (EdgeOS). I’m not confident I set this up correctly as I found a few different methods online.
o Installed DuckDNS on HomeAssistant
o After installing DuckDNS my HomeAssistant fails the configuration check. Error was against External and Internal URLs.
o I removed the External and Internal lines from the configuration Yaml file and it passed the configuration check.
o Now I can’t access Home Assistant.
o Using SAMBA I can access the configuration files. So I opened the config file and removed everything that was added per the instructions for DuckDNS. Still HomeAssistant won’t open.