Shelly H&T unavailable data

hmmm how are you directly connecting to a device that is mainly asleep?! Or are you resetting the device back to wireless AP mode 1st?

Edit - Ok I’ve got it working. I have the unit with a permanent USB power but its much easier to pop the battery back in and have it next to the PC and press the reset button to wake it up. As a side note I find the USB power base connections are a bit ‘flaky’ IE sometimes when you twist the base to the to it fails to make a connection. Maybe a little gentle bending of the contacts is required!

1 Like

I just got 2 of these the firmware recommended here does not seem to be on their site anymore, The current posted version is 20210315-135153/v1.10.0-rc5-6-g799f3e98f at Shelly firmware page.

Will this version work properly with HA?

through mqtt - yes, always.
BTW RC5 is release candidate. it’s not final version. I have my HTs with 1.7.3 and 1.9.x. I had no single problem with them and mqtt

Samevfor me
5 battery units running througe MQTT

You should use <LOCAL HA IP>:5683 as CoIoT peer.

1 Like

Looks to me same issue as I reported with HA 2021.3. version. Before so with HA 2021.2 and older HT, DW and Flood sensor have been working without any issues with the HA integration (just need to reset the sensor once when I restartet HA).
But after upadting to HA 2021.3 the troubles with the battery powered sensors started.
Would be great to see once a solution. Thanks.

did you update to the new shelly firmware?

No, as I have read quite a lot a troubles with the new FW on the shelly, I wont update until I really see that the FW is stable, 1.9.3 runs pretty good on all my Shelly. Cheers

my shelly H&T are running ok with last HA, even with the new firmware

I’ve just setup my H&T and firnware updated to 20211004-121044/v1.11.5-gdedfb52 - as far as I can see this doesn’t seem to have an MQTT option anymore? I’ve got it setup to use HTTP GET to Node-RED but this only seems to provide serial #, temp and humidity and not battery. On the upside it does seem to wake up and send the info through OK to Node-RED (and from there onto InfluxDB!)

EDIT - oops - just realised it’s buried at the bottom under their CoIoT stuff :blush:

I don’t understand why there is no way to just have HA report the last known state of an entity!! I tried any kind of workaround and still I get unavailable every now and then

2 Likes

It’s possible with mqtt

I’m on MQTT still it’s unavailable every now and then (although much better then without)

how did you configured those devices? if manually, provide yaml. how did you configured mqtt in H&T?
you can provide result of H&T’s /settings endpoint.

Here is how I have HT entity configured:

- platform: mqtt
  name: "Sleeping Temperature"
  state_topic: "shellies/shellyht-sleeping/sensor/temperature"
  json_attributes_topic: "shellies/shellyht-sleeping/sensor/temperature"
  unit_of_measurement: "°C"
  force_update: true
  device_class: temperature
  expire_after: 86400

Also, in H&T itself, I’ve checked retain option. It ensures, that after HA restart the most recent value will be picked again.

At the end I have to say, recently I experienced sudden loss of temperature values (read: Mqtt light going offline without reason - #17 by francisp). Everything was working, mqtt, network etc. But for some reason HA started to report a few temp sensors as unavailable. Few months ago the same happened to AC powered Shelly (configured via mqtt). Till now I have no answer. I started to log debug messages in HA core but the issue is unpredictable. So I have no answer what caused it. Maybe too often restarts of other components or entities reloading? Maybe you are facing something with the same root cause?

Hello,
i am an Newbie with home assistant and want to integrate one H&T but i have problems with it.
When i want to add the Shelly integration i was asked for a HOST.
Can anyone tell me what it means?
Excuse me, but i have no idea at the moment.

Did you update the Shelly device firmware ?

If it is connected to your WiFi router you should be able to access to this feature by entering its IP address on a web browser. There is a web page for setting device parameters and update firmware.

From my side I had trouble to get my Shelly HT device connected to the french Orange router LiveBox WiFi: I couldn’t get it connected with the android app. So i manage to get connected to it directly (192.168.33.1 for each of my four device) via my computer ins WiFi direct connection mode while device is in pairing mode. Then I was able to set my WiFi router SSID and password.

Once done it was discovered in HA. But note that device is not always active. So this might take time for your HA to detect. You can press briefly the pin button to wake it up.

HOST is the IP address of the Shelly device once it’s connected to your Wi-Fi

Same here.
Shelly H&T sends data only if there is a significant change, set up by threshold value.
During the rest of time, Shelly H&T goes in sleep mode and cannot be reached in local network: if HA asks for update data you got “not available”. You must “wake up” Shelly by pressing the internal button.

Has anyone solved?

Nope (although as battery powered I would expect it to be unavailable unless woken by button or sending data) - my issue is that it seems to need to go quite a bit past the threshold to actually trigger anything.

My H&T sends data regularly to Shelly cloud during the day, so it should wake up for seconds to do this.
Why HA cannot catch this?