Shelly Integration fails to connect to Shelly Plug

Hi guys,
so one of my Shelly Plugs just suddenly became unavailable. So I removed it and wanted to re-add it, which fails. I see a bunch of error messages though:

Logger: aioshelly.block_device
Source: /usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/aioshelly/block_device.py:130
First occurred: 20:00:35 (272 occurrences)
Last logged: 21:17:48

device 192.168.70.134 initialize error - TimeoutError()

My environment:

version: core-2021.12.10
installation_type: Home Assistant OS
dev: false
hassio: true
docker: true
user: root
virtualenv: false
python_version: 3.9.7
os_name: Linux
os_version: 5.10.63-v8
arch: aarch64
timezone: Europe/Berlin

host_os: Home Assistant OS 7.1
update_channel: stable
supervisor_version: supervisor-2021.12.2
docker_version: 20.10.9
disk_total: 28.3 GB
disk_used: 8.7 GB
healthy: true
supported: true
board: rpi4-64
supervisor_api: ok
version_api: ok
installed_addons: Mosquitto broker (6.0.1), Zigbee2mqtt (1.22.2-1), NGINX Home Assistant SSL proxy (3.1.1), Remote Backup (4.2.7), Network UPS Tools (0.9.1), Studio Code Server (4.1.0), Hyperion.NG (2.0.12), VLC (0.1.3)

dashboards: 6
resources: 6
views: 14
mode: storage

There are four Shelly Plugs, all are the same model, three work, one does not. They are on a different subnet, but the firewall allows the traffic. Firmware is up to date on all of them

I am at a loss here. Maybe someone has an idea?

Did you make sure COAP is enabled on the plug?
I had this once with one of my Shelly Door Window sensors - if you do not see the COAP option within the configuration page at all check for firmware update :slight_smile:

Hi Martin, thanks for your input.
Do you moan CoIoT? Because that is and has been enabled since day one.
Firmware is up-to-date, just updated before writing this post.

Update: I just checked from the command line: I can reach the plug on port 80 as any other plug. So it must be something below the HTTP protocol, right?
I am afraid I have to do a factory reset.

I have had best Experience with setting CoIoT on all my Shellys to Unicast…

10.27.200.254:5683

… instead of Multicast mcast. (the IP-Address is the one of my Home-Assistant)

Screenshot from 2022-01-23 01-13-41

If you suspect Firewall-Issues, put a Laptop into the Shellys’ Network-Segment, and try reaching Port 5683 on your Home-Assistant from there.

Thanks for your input @Eiphu5ae, but I both enabled CoIoT in unicast mode and I can rule out firewall issues. But I am still hopeful someone has a striking idea and I can avoid factory resetting the Shelly plug.

Not the exact answer to your OP, but if you want to be independant on the integration reliability, consider using mqtt instead.

1 Like

I actually do that for sensors, but for active devices which I want to control, I would like to stick to the integration.
I will probably do a factory reset, when I find time. Will update here, if that helps.
Thanks everyone for your input so far!

Were you able to resolve this?
Would be great if you could share your outcome with the community.

I did not get a chance to do a factory reset, as I do not rely on the switch. Will update once I have news. :slight_smile:

When I try to add shelly plug s I get this message:

The device is using an unsupported firmware version.

I have CoAP enabled.

Any idea why shelly integration won’t support plug s?

Same with me, got 4x Shelly PLug S. Won´t they work?

@lpt2007 Check the devices for firmware updates. Mine also had an older version and I needed to update their firmware before being able to connect them.

I get the same error when trying to add a shelly plug s. The firmware is very old but there seems to be no update:

The current Firmware version of your Shelly device is 20190516-073020/master@ea1b23db No newer firmware available.

The most recent FW version for Shelly Plug S is: 20220209-094058/v1.11.8-g8c7bb8d.

If your device somehow cannot see it, you can force the update using this page: http://archive.shelly-tools.de/
Shelly plug S is identified with SHPLG-S identifier.

2 Likes

I can also recommend to aceess the specific Shelly with the browser, most of the time the update is shown there

Also, double-check the internet connection of the plug.

I already tried the suggested methods. What helped in the end was to briefly enable the shelly cloud on the device.

1 Like

Thanks for the hint.
I tried a lot.
This was the solution for me:

• enable cloud
  • wait until the connection has been marked green
  • update the firmware
  • Enable CoIoT
  • set CoIoT peer: to mcast
  • save
  • reboot shelly
  • add the device in HAAS via shelly integration
3 Likes

I see others having issues with Shelly Plug S devices, so I’ll pitch in with mine:

I have a couple of these now, both share a strange behaviour:

In HA, the devices seem to work ok, turn on and off as requested…
In Shelly APP however, the devices are unresponsive (partly). Partly in a sense that they allow edits, show good wifi signal, but won’t turn ON or OFF, unless I “wake them up” via HA first. Then they start working in the Shelly APP as well…for a while, after a couple of hours they are again (partly) unresponsive.