Show your most scary home made automation device

So I’m currently single, you could tell if seen some of my automation devices.

Here is my heating pipe sensor and heating relay, granted it’s in a kitchen cupboard:
Imgur

Thought it would be interesting to see what frankenthings people have in their home relating to automation.

(As an aside I just bought a 3D printer to make cases as single or not, I have 5 or 6 ESPs hanging bare on USB leads around the house with multicoloured wires hanging out of them looking more like a small bomb than a temperature probe.)

4 Likes

Great idea!
Here is my home-made thermostat.
Built with a tasmotized and modified (clean contact) sonoff-sv with a gpio connected dht11 sensor.

I’m surprised that my wife hasn’t ripped out what I’ve added to our heating and hot water system.

Have a sensor for the boiler feed and return

And a leak sensor and water tank temp in the airing cupboard

Also have a leak sensor in the loft after a small leak from the cold water tank a few months ago.

Cool idea. I have procrastinated so hard with this. It’s a monitor instance to check for presence. Started as a prototype and I just left it there.

The really scary thing about this is that it’s been there for months now. My GF doesn’t even notice it anymore, but yeah, time to hide it somewhere.

1 Like

That engineering classic :smiley: I know it all too well.

I use a sonoff dual to switch my ventilation modes (used to be a perilex plug with a three way switch) never came around to mount it properly… :see_no_evil:

1 Like

This is my album about our heating system. The boiler works with RPI zero and NodeRed and controlled by PID. The radiators have thermal valves and they are controlled by generic thermostat with scheduler in home assistant. We save about 30% money compared with the old system system :slight_smile:

1 Like

Shelly switch to turn on/off the water heater. Too hot in there so leaving the lid open, 4 weeks now… Moving it to a contactor and esp temperature sensor.

As I always say, there’s nothing more permanent than temporary.

2 Likes

My wife would tear my arms off if I tried any of these.

But, for Christmas I’m treating myself to a 3d printer, after that, let her try and stop me…

my wife kicks off cos I have a Rasb pi under the sofa… if I tried these i’d be a single man… :thinking: maybe I should give these a try… :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Have been threatening to add alarm sensors from our alarm system to my ISY99, but never got around to it. After adding Home Assistant, I found out about the NodeMCU. needed 2 to get 4 doors, 1 window and 3 motions. White USB cable will disappear once I feed the boards with 5v.
Plan on another NodeMCU to monitor furnace, AC, humidifier.

Sounds like a nice backup plan!

Btw I finally hid my raspberry. It’s no longer hanging there.

I have tried to fix the ails of my ways.
Imgur

It fails, will still need the temp probe out on leads to be accurate.

Before:
Imgur

My work in progress. Boiler high temperature control W/stepper.

The external connector is for a string of dallas temperature sensors. One sensor is in the box as well.

Magnets to hold it in place and not to modify the boiler to much .

Attached to the High tempeture limit of the boiler.

Still working on the automation’s and such. So for now I just have a simple input slider that go from 0 to 900 steps. It’s able to cover boiler temperatures between 135 through 210 Fahrenheit -/+.

And before I attached it to the boiler. I made sure my fire insurance was up to date and will cover me if I burn my house down. :wink:

2 Likes