Simplistic configuration UI

Hey thanks for sharing.
I started looking at it but it got lost amongst other things.
Your approach is what I expected to use. One other way I saw to achieve this was to have a dockerfile based on a linux image that calls git clone on the original repo. e.g. https://github.com/james-fry/dasher-docker/blob/master/Dockerfile
I assume that the alpine python base image is a more efficient way to go…

I’d like to see them use yours as a base and just remove some of the duplicated functions. As an editor (especially with your shortcuts and pick lists) I think it would make a great drop in addition to the configuration suite.

1 Like

The problem I see with using my work as a base is, that I’m using pretty much vanilla JavaScript and some jQuery for when I’m to lazy to do it manually. HASS on the other hand uses this polymer-thing, which to me seems like a bunch of abstraction-layers to make development more easy. But being it’s own framework, I don’t know anything about it, and getting started and becoming efficient at it would take me more time than I have to spare. So that task should be taken care of by someone who’s familiar with how the frontend works.
For such a person it shouldn’t be that difficult though. At the basic level the configurator just has a REST API that delivers files / folders upon request and displays the content in the Ace Editor. All the entities, services etc. are already available via API (that’s where I get them from), so only those widgets would be missing. Essentially: Someone who knows how to build the current dev/services/templates pages HASS already has could get this done in a day since all that security-related stuff becomes irrelevant, and I assume because of the framework everything looks nice right out of the box. :smiley:

1 Like

Tbh, I can only speak for myself, but I really prefer it that way. It makes it easier to set up permissions so only a single computer on my lan is able able to access something like that. I wouldn’t dare to use it otherwise.

Thanks for taking the time to explain; I respect your position.

And either way, I can still use this! :wink:

@tboyce1 & @hijinx
Since you have already started with the Docker topic, could you have a look at Hass.io - Add-on ideas? I’ve never worked with docker, but maybe one of your forks could provide what is needed to make the configurator a compatible hass.io add-on.

1 Like

I think that @tboyce1 already has:
https://hub.docker.com/r/tboyce021/hass-configurator

based on the dev guideline:
Under the hood, add-ons are Docker images published in Docker hub. Developers can create GitHub repositories that contain multiple references to add-ons for easy sharing with the community.

1 Like

Thanks for the great work!
I have issues editing files on Android (in Chrome at least). When typing, the new text overwrites the old text instead of adding to it. Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks! :slight_smile:
Did you see the settings menu? There’s a checkbox where you can enable and disable “overwrite” mode. Maybe you’ve unintentionally ticked the box.

It seems that the problem is the Switkey keyboard! Using the Google Keyboard works correctly. I guess it has something to do with autocorrect. Is it possible to disable auto correct on that field?

I guess that depends on the keyboard. The configuration is nothing more than an editor within a website. So you have to look at the possibilities your keyboard provides. Or maybe the browser you are using has an option to disable autocorrect.

Text inputs on websites can specify if the keyboard should do autocomplete. Check this: https://weblog.west-wind.com/posts/2015/jun/15/turn-off-html-input-auto-fixups-for-mobile-devices

Thanks. Didn’t know about that. However, I probably can’t to that. All I have is a div on which the Ace Editor is applied. So this probably has to be implemented for the Ace Editor itself. Here’s the repository where you may open an issue about that: https://github.com/ajaxorg/ace

I think this is what you are both looking for - instructions on how to enable autocomplete in Ace:

Great find, but I’m unsure about that. I’ve seen that option while developing the configurator, and I understood it to be related to syntax/language: ...then the keyword and snippet completer as well as the text completer are used in conjuction with <script src="ace/ext-language_tools.js"></script> at least sounds like that to me.
On top of that: the requirement to enable the feature means that if it was what we are looking for, then it is already disabled.

Edit: I do have that option enabled though. Uhm, @abmantis are you willing to modify your configurator.py and set the enableBasicAutocompletion: true to enableBasicAutocompletion: false and report if that fixes your problem?

1 Like

Nope, that doesn’t fix it :frowning:

In that case it’s not the option we are looking for and the Ace-Devs would need to implement it. The configurator uses version 1.2.6, which seems to be the latest version available. Maybe the exact same topic has been addressed already and will be available in the next version.

Sorry, thought I stumbled on to it. I haven’t used configurator on a mobile yet so I wasn’t sure.

No need to be sorry. Still a good piece of information you have found. :slight_smile:

1 Like

When I run configurator.py, file & folder names are missing in large directories. If I hover over the icon, it will tell me the file/ folder name, but otherwise it is blank. Any advise? Nothing is printed from the application cmdline.