Skin: LCARS (star trek) beta

I am finally getting some time to work on the LCARS skin that I already promised a few times, a while ago.
it is coming along nicely but i need some info from those who are interested.
the LCARS skin needs a background. I did try to avoid that, but i couldnt.
and that makes it difficult to create it for several screensizes.

i will try to create as many as needed. if i start searching for screensizes i get crazy from the amount of sizes that there are.
So my question on you guys: What screensize would you need?
my tablet = 1024x600 so that one i got.

and the skin is looking like this now

• stardate is generated by an app
  • DASHBOARD at the top can be set to any name
  • menu is a label
  • livingroom and kitchen are navigate
  • the buttons are all switches or booleans
  • the text with temperature are sensors
  • the picture on the top right is an image widget. so scalable and movable.

light with brightness and input_slider are also usable (will be shown in a short while.
@aimc has promised to make this skin a included skin as soon as i am finished with it.

so please give me your input what would it a workable dashboard for YOU!

beta release is uploaded here:

12 Likes

oke i hoped for some response, but i am sure not everyone is seeing it :wink:

i am going to call all people i think that might be interested.
but even if your not, please give me an idea of which screensize would be interesting for you so i can make it as general as possible, but still managable.

the next names i found on the forum who are working on a LCARS like floorplan or showed interest in LCARS.
@aimc
@marksev1
@turboc
@atomicpapa
@mconway
@slovenc
@Blinkwise
@lmamakos

off course is everyone that is interested welcome to share any though he has.

My first targeted device is an Amazon Fire Tablet 7" which I believe is the same scree size, 1024x600.

This is going to be awesome; my wife is going to roll her eyes like never before :slight_smile:

4 Likes

because of the big amount of response :stuck_out_tongue: i have been searching a bit more.
i decided that i will release the skin in widescreen only.

that means it will be available for this screensizes:

800x480
1024x600
1200x768
1600x900

the amount of widgets stays the same, the appaerance will be completely the same, only the widgets will be a bit bigger or smaller.

its all recalculated and based on some default setting that i will provide.

ill release the beta version tonight on my github.

Beautiful! I’ve been waiting for this. Please add me to the list of interested people. :smiley:

To answer your initial question: The resolutions I currently use on my Nexus 7 2012 and 10 tablets are 1280x800 and 2560x1600.

Thank you!

for your 1280x800 you can use the 1280x768
and i added the 2560x1600 to the list off resolution that i have calculated.
there is only 1 setting i cant test there but you can test that for me :wink:

i am uploading and creating the skin online at this moment and probably will need another hour or so to complete.

it will be here:

the skin is now live at my github.
i am editing the readme at this moment with the last examples.
but the beta release is free now.

1 Like

sorry, busy weekend :slight_smile: I’ll be using an ipad or some random Chinese built 10" tablet, probably 1280*800 resolution. thanks!

1 Like

Very nice, would be nice if also the regular resolution of LCDs of 1920x1080 would also be supported. For multimonitor setups to have this kind of dashboard permanently set up on one monitor for example :).

i added the calculated settings to the readme. it is untested, would be nice if you could test it for me @marksev1

For some reason my Nexus 7 2013 scales everything to 960x600, so I’d like that resolution. (or if someone can tell me how to get the nexus to display it’s native resolution (ie, 1920x1200) that would be great too :stuck_out_tongue: )

how the skin is setup right now i can offer you the settings for a screenwidth from 960, but that would scale the screenheight to 560, so you would have a small bar beneath the skin.

you could set the resolution from the background to 960x600 to solve that but then you also need to put in an extra row and that might solve it.
could be that you also need to change fontsizes to get a decent result.

im not gonna put up those settings in the readme yet, but here are the settings you could try:

in variables.yaml set screenwidth: 1024 to 960
in dashboard.css change background-size: 1024px; to “960p 600px”
in the dashboard use the settings:
widget_dimensions: [112, 22]
widget_margins: [5, 2]

and you might need to change

stardate:
  container_style: "top: 6px" #6px for 1024, 18px for 1280, 28px for 1600

to get the stardate at the right position after you have put in an extra line in the layout.

1 Like

Now this is exactly the kind of rampant geekery that I love. Definitely installing this once I move into my new place!

2 Likes

Might be being a bit particular here, but is the calculation for the Stardate correct? According to TrekGude.com, today’s Stardate is 71359.2, whereas the Stardate sensor in Home Assistant is showing that today’s Stardate is 11789.2. Not too sure how it’s being calculated, but on TrekGuide’s website, it has a calculator to help calculate Stardates. Here’s the source code for that particular calculator (it’s JavaScript):

// Stardate script © Phillip L. Sublett
// [email protected]
// http://TrekGuide.com

function StardateTodayThis(form) {

YearInput = eval(form.YearToday.value)
MonthInput = eval(form.MonthToday.value)
DayInput = eval(form.DateToday.value)
HourInput = eval(form.HourToday.value)
MinuteInput = eval(form.MinuteToday.value)

var StardateOriginToday = new Date("July 15, 1987 00:00:00");
var StardateInputToday = new Date();

StardateInputToday.setYear(YearInput)
StardateInputToday.setMonth(MonthInput)
StardateInputToday.setDate(DayInput)
StardateInputToday.setHours(HourInput)
StardateInputToday.setMinutes(MinuteInput)
StardateInputToday.setSeconds(0)
StardateInputToday.toGMTString(0)

var stardateToday = StardateInputToday.getTime() - StardateOriginToday.getTime();
stardateToday = stardateToday / (1000 * 60 * 60 * 24 * 0.036525);
stardateToday = Math.floor(stardateToday + 410000);
stardateToday = stardateToday / 10

form.YourChosenDateToday.value = StardateInputToday;
form.StardateTodayOutput.value = stardateToday;

return true; 
}

As I said, it’s a very small detail. Great work overall! Looking forward to getting a tablet to wall mount to fully benefit from this :slight_smile:

1 Like

i have been searching and searching when i started this.
all stardates that you can find out there are invented and not based on star trek directly.
i came accross a very good site that analysed the various used formulas and the actual dates in the series.

based on that information i also “invented” my own stardate.
with this formula i have tried to come as close to what the stardates in the series are.

according to what i have found this should be the first century.
thats why it starts with 1.
a stardate starting with a 7 would be way after any stardate that is used in all the series. and we are BEFORE the series.
it should be a like XXXXX.X so thats what they have in common.
i took the amount of days between 2000 and 2100 and recalculate them to get XXXX.X
that means that in a bit more then 83 years this stardate will go into its second century without a leap.

that makes that this dashboards stardate will continu to run for the next 1000 years.
so i guess i have to be there to correct the formula when the next millenium is there :wink:

i read the site you mentioned after i wrote my last reaction and this comes actually close to my approach.

Since the Stardate systems used in various Star Trek episodes are meant to measure time in the Twenty-third and Twenty-fourth Centuries, the same Stardate system cannot be used to express contemporary dates (i.e., in the Twentieth and Twenty-first Centuries).

However, for those who would like to create Stardates to represent contemporary dates, there are three methods that can be used:

Represent the current date in YYMM.DD format, where “YY” is the current year minus 1900, MM is the current month (01-12), and DD is the current day of the month (01-31).

For example, September 08, 1966, would be written as “Stardate 6609.08” in the YYMM.DD format. Another digit must be added for years after 1999, such that September 11, 2001, would be written as “Stardate 10109.11” in the YYMM.DD format. This system can be used to express any year after 1900 in Stardate format.

This system also roughly corresponds to the Stardates used in the first six Star Trek motion pictures, such that if a new movie were made today in The Original Series continuity, then its Stardate would be close to the YYMM.DD format.

like they say, there is no real stardate and in my opinion it makes no sense to use the other options they gave, because then we would be way ahead of the 2400 century.

but we could call this the prefederation stardate
on Tuesday, April 25, 2265, at 00:00 hours we could start using the new formula and call that first federation stardate and on on Friday, July 5, 2318, around noon we need another reset and formula change to second federation stardate.

Thanks @ReneTode! I think 1024x600 is a good starting size for me. From there, it would probably be 1280x720 for some of my tablets.

i hope you show me pics :wink:

I will once I get it set up. I wasn’t running HADashboard to begin with, and apparently it’s not as straight forward using a docker container.

I just installed home assistant and have a few automated tasks now for a couple of items. I’m really looking forward to installing LCARS on my main monitor which is a 24" Dell touch screen at 1080p.