Slate - A New Dark Theme (Updated!)

Dear @SneakyPie

Thank you so much for sharing your theme. I went through a lot of dark themes to find something to my liking, and this particular one is spot on - an instant favorite!!

1 Like

Not trying to necro your comment but the map now has a dark mode! I had the same issue so I made a pull request to add it.

Cool. Gonna check it out now :slight_smile:

I put it to my lovelace, it looks great :slight_smile: but it would be much better if i can control dark mode by automation, because i have automation for theme changing (day/night) based on sun tracker.

I know this isn’t the best solution but I don’t believe there is a way to dynamically change card settings. You could use 2 conditional cards one for day one for night and show/hide them as needed.

Just a heads up, but for those of you who use the Simple Thermostat Lovelace Card, here is an easy fix to have you selected HVAC mode show in color again. Simply remove the line in the below image in the ‘simple-thermostat.js’ file. Credit to this post for finding this.

code

1 Like

I know, it’s not possible to change card settings. But 2 conditional card did the trick. Thank you :slight_smile:

Are there any requirements for this? Because mine doesn’t quite look like the screenshots. Sidebar and background is unchanged, and the cards seem darker than they should be.

No requirements. What does your themes.yaml or your theme configuration look like?

Also, try clearing the cache for your HA page and see if it updates.

Nevermind, turns out I didn’t trigger the giant ‘turn on theme’ in my account options…

1 Like

Slate can now be found on HACS! Just make sure you enable the viewing of Themes in your HACS config.

There aren’t really any additional updates to this theme for the time being, but you’ll be ready if anything changes.

The Slate repository can also be found here: https://github.com/seangreen2/slate_theme

2 Likes

Hope you don’t mind if I ask what setting did you use to enable themes in HACS?
I have:

hacs:
  token: !secret hacs_github_token
  sidepanel_title: "HACS" #default: Community
 #sidepanel_icon: #default: "mdi:alpha-c-box"
 #appdaemon: false #default: false
 #python_script: false #default: false
  theme: true #default: false

but I don’t get THEME to show up in HACS.

Here’s how mine looks in my config:

hacs:
  token: !secret hacs_token
  theme: true
  python_script: true

Weird, that is exactly how my config looks and I am not seeing themes in the store either

Here is my config and the theme shows up all the way at the bottom of the “store” tab.

hacs:
  token: !secret github_access_token
  appdaemon: True
  theme: True

“slate” is the only theme that shows up there right now so the list is pretty short.

did you restart. changes to custom components typically require a restart of hass

I restarted but what was also needed was to click “reload data” in HACS. Thanks

1 Like

I got mine to finally work but it was a bit random. I restarted several times, did the “reload data”, etc. What I observed was that HACS eventually got around sometime much later to doing a background task, and then THEMEs showed up.

I installed HA 0.99.2 and the unused entities shows a white table. When I change the theme to default it is shown. So i think the theme should be updated. Which lines are needed to add?

@Thuurke