SMA Energy Meter in Home Assistant

yes i have the sea integration and the add-on. I already tried to add the EM via integration but this didn’t work.
How can i add the EM via integrations? I get always an error: “Verbindung fehlgeschlagen”

@wunni @Jack97_13 Have you tried to adding the serial number in the SMA-EM add-on config
Screen Shot 2022-02-19 at 9.15.22 am
Im starting to run out of ideas

yes, already tried… :frowning:

As mentioned before my SMA EM was automatically added to the SMA Inverter (via local lan).
The SMA integration provides the entities ‘sensor.metering_power_supplied’ (power to the net) and ‘sensor.metering_power_absorbed’ (power from the net). Those 2 values are coming from the SMA EM.

You could try connecting the EM directly to the Inverter’s ethernet port, Provided you use Wifi to communicate with to the inverter.

Form the SMA EM manual:

1. Connect the network cable to the network terminal (Ethernet) of the
    Energy Meter.
  2. Connect the other end of the network cable to a router/network switch. SMA
    products which are to receive measured values must be integrated in the same
    local network. If multiple SMA products in the local network require the mea-
    sured values from the Energy Meter, do not connect the network cable directly
    to an individual SMA product.

It’s saying not to connect it directly.

Hi @bertreb
I had a SMA technician ask me to connect my EM directly to my inverter to diagnose a connection problem.
If you do connect this way unfortunately you cant access the EM’s web ui
I all so found this post

@Jack97_13 @wunni You use a MQTT Explorer software to check for the MQTT connections.
Screen Shot 2022-02-22 at 12.56.36 pm
Screen Shot 2022-02-22 at 12.57.22 pm

1 Like

@Nicko1, did you use the same ethernet cable in both situations ? (direct connection and via router/Switch). But when your inverter supports auto-crossing this is not relevant.
I looked in the SMA Inverter docs and my portal and saw that the configuration is done automatically via speedwire. It looks that for speedwire a different subnet is used.

From your logs it seems like the multicast speedwire message is never received in the container.

On what platform are you running HomeAssistant OS?

Have you tried the Legacy addon? (It uses a different mechanism to receive the data)

The same cable should be fine, almost all ethernet gear (defnitely 100mbps+) these days have auto-crossover.

Speedwire uses a multicast address. IGMPv2 needs to be supported.

Some routers also provide isolation between the wireless and wired clients, which will obviously block the communication

The datasheet: https://files.sma.de/downloads/EMETER-20-IA-en-15.pdf

on mqqt explorer i can’t see the SMA EM…
should i enable somewhere any MQTT option e.g. in the SMA EM settings? But there i can’t find anything about it…?

Hi
yes it was the same straight through cable no xover
I have the Sunnyboy Trypower 10KW

Are you saying that an Energy Manager is capable of connecting to an MQTT broker and sending messages?

Sorry mate I don’t understand the question.

I thought you posted a question on that, but looking back it was a post from @wunni

@wunni Do have the same problem as @Jack97_13. Check out the reply from Kellerza, If anyone can help you Kellerza’s the one.

Hello @kellerza,
I got the SMA Meter Add On to work, great.
But if I turn it on, the connection from SMA Home Manager 2.0 to both evcc and Sunny Portal is not running any more.
Any idea why?
Thanks

Hi @Matze4711

The SMA energy meter simply joins the multicast group, so except if there is an issue with your router doing this multicast replication it should not stop multicast to other devices (like the MSA home manager)

SMA Home manage to Sunny Portal should be IP only - do you still see your generated PV stats on Sunny Home manager?

In the addon, on the Configuration tab you have the MQTT settings.

MQTT_HOST: core-mosquitto
MQTT_PORT: 1883
MQTT_USERNAME: username
MQTT_PASSWORD: password