Smart Ceiling Fan options in Australia

It would be pretty cool to figure out the pinout for one of those plug-in modules and create an ESP replacement. Seems like an easy way to get full local control.

Hey if you have the knowhow even just to document it for someone with a firsthand need to start from, I’d shout you one of those modules if they aren’t a ridiculous price.
Just on the principal of it, ending up with a template for making mods of that would be pretty awesome.

It reminds me of the Sockitz Brickz. Back at the start of USB-C being standardised, Sockitz was gonna make GPOs and Light Switches which had a little slot behind the back plate that you could install a “Brickz” module, which could be a wifi controller, z-wave controller or zigbee controller (as the ones they were offering) and they planned to release the spec for the Brickz so other companies could use them and make it a standard. Would have been a great way to get smart homes going. Didn’t work out though, I think they just couldn’t get anyone else on board, since it would bust people out of lock in instead of the opposite…

It shouldn’t be too difficult to open up the fan controller to see what the pins are and then it’s just a case of flashing an ESP12F or similar with ESPhome or Tasmota and testing various settings until it works. Tasmota is actually really handy for this type of investigating and the Tasmota docs have a pretty good tutorial for figuring out the config for an unknown device. For starters since it’s a ‘Tuya’ module, you would need to configure the ESP for Tuya comms, then its a case of listening to the comms in the command line gui

how has this fan been in home assistant do you have full control?

1 Like

I have a few Brilliant Smart Smart WiFi AC Fan Wall Controllers, I believe they are Tuya rebadged. I tried the Tuya IoT Integration and get stuck when scanning QR code in Brilliant Smart app, the QR Code Expires as soon as scanned. I then tried to set up my devices in Tuya iOS app but they are not discovered. Anyone know how i might get these controllers to be seen in HA?

Smart WiFi AC Fan Wall Controller | Brilliant (brilliantlighting.com.au)

Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware - #4610 by bcdaus someone was asking that the other day, although no one answered.

I can’t say if the brilliant fans are tuya or not…
What I can say is it’s possible for seemingly tuya apps to not be found by tuya. I have a ultenic-t10 vacuum that seemingly runs on tuya backed but doesn’t join my iot.tuya account nor the tuya app.

Thanks for alerting me to other post, the Brilliant Smart and Tuya apps look so similar I’m guessing my smart wall controllers are Tuya. I only have two brands to add to HA and I was done. This roadblock has broken the dream of having everything controlled by HA :confused:

Thanks for alerting me to this thread. I might get one of the Brilliant Fan controllers and see if its accessible or has a Tuya Local option. Worse comes to worse I’ll just train the kids to push the buttons!

1 Like

I use the Arlec brand models from Bunnings, and they work through the Tuya app and local Tuya. You might just try adding the Brilliant controller to the Tuya app, that type of things has worked for me before.

Thanks Michael. I revisited the Tuya Smart and Smart Life apps and found that I had to allow Bluetooth for the apps then they discovered my wall controllers. I was then able to complete the Tuya integration and can now control my ceiling fans in HA, less speed control. No idea why speed control is not exposed to HA.

Hi @FreelancerJ

Just saw this post, Jimmy James has a YT video where he designed a new plug-in module for the Ventair DC fans with an ESP and he provides all the ESPHome configs if that helps.

5 Likes

I might be late to reply, but just use a Deta Smart switch with a normal fan. Have them setup on 4 ceiling fans in my house

Bunnings Link

Do you have control over speeds?

You would do, using the standard speed control capacitor.

Only problem I have found with these Deta wall fan controllers is that some fans in my house have capacitor issues.

My bedroom one for instance, only works for low and medium, When switching to high, it stays at medium speed, even though you can hear (and see) the ‘high’ relay switch on.

The issue I see is I have Brilliant Smart wall controllers https://www.brilliantlighting.com.au/product/smart-wifi-ac-fan-wall-controller-e07a97 and HA shows no speeds available? I do see two preset modes Sleep & Nature but why wouldn’t the HA show speeds for a ceiling fan? The Smart Life app shows the speeds so I run my ceiling fans outside of HA which is annoying.

Do you have the light as well ?
I can get my Fan working in tuyalocal, but not the light :frowning:
How do you have it mapped if you have the light as well

I’m definitely very late here but thank you heaps! This gives me a lot to work with.

…Wonder if I could modify his design to work via Ethernet without botching it too badly… :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

(Another very late post I’m sorry)… I took a bit of a risk and put 5 of the recently released Clipsal Wiser Zigbee fan controllers in to drive my existing fans, and they work great with HA via a SkyConnect dongle.

1 Like

Just looking at these now. They look great! Any idea if they are compatible with Zigbee2mqtt?

1 Like